Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-23-2014, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
It really depends on the size of the lawns you're mowing. In Vegas the average lawn is 1200 square feet. In the mid west people have several acres. Personally my average lawn is around 4500 square feet. My average client pays 32/week for mowing. My mowing season is about 28 weeks. To gross 50k that's 60 clients. .
This good example For him to gross 50k he mows 60 lawns

I mow 47 lawns 28-30 weeks and last year I gross 150k but I didn't mow 28 weeks either was bad drought I mowed 23 weeks

My lawns go from 4k to 100 acres I figure it up once each full week I mow atleast 200 acres each week total
Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuttingEdge LawnCare View Post
If you plan on 50k a week then probably 2500 plus accounts. For 50k a year just mowing you will need about 85 accounts not including any overhead. If you add in landscaping, you make a lot more. Mowing should be 1/3 of you income at most. It is to keep you busy. Not sure you have to worry about that just yet. If i were you i would work on getting a few years of experience wile you have free living expenses.
I must be very busy it's always been 60-65% of my income about 140,000 a year comes from just mowing. Not sure how you come up with this 1/3 stat or for that matter why you would think 2500 lawns should average just 20 dollars a cut.

Haake as for a decent living I had employees the last 11 years and never saw the income I wanted. This year it's just me and my partner and around 170 accounts were doing over 25k a month with no payroll to eat through it. I think thats what you had in mind when you wondered about a good living.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with most of the others here. Its size of your yards vs. amount of yards. The smaller the yards are that you maintain the more yards you will need to make your 50k. The larger the yard the less yards you'll need. I mow 15 lawns a week currently, by myself. I get paid $50 a lawn for my efforts which includes mowing, trimming, and edging. I also feed the lawns and do some chemical work on them. If you do the math thats about $750 a week for 30 weeks =$22,500.00 a year. This number includes no expenses. Fuel, repairs and what I spend on chemicals, fertilizer etc. So lets say I pocket 18k, in order for me to make 50k take home money I would need around 40 lawns at $50. But, I am able to do my 15 lawns on the weekends while I still work another family full time job which pays around 800 take home money. So i guess what I'm saying. Until you can buy all your equipment, truck, trailer etc. outright I would buy equipment piece by piece and start with 5-10 lawns and grow year by year until its full time like I'm doing. Dropping everything and buying 25k on equipment before you have enough accounts to cover your payments in expenses will lead to a very short Lawn Care career.
2013 John Deere Z445 54"
7x12 Homemade Trailer
6.5x10 Homemade Trailer
Ryobi Trimmer
Stihl Trimmer
Stihl Chainsaw
Stihl Backpack Blower
Husqvarna Backpack Blower
Husqvarna Pole Saw
Old 04-23-2014, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All depends if you want to be just the guy who does strictly mowing and blows around the occasional leaf OR are you willing and want to offer full services to your clients. Full service accounts you will need less to reach your goal of 50K.

Spring Clean-up
Edging & Mulch
Mowing
Shrub Pruning
Fall Clean-up / Cutting down perennials
Snow Plowing.

These can offer year round income, some more profitable and requiring less overhead than mowing.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerway View Post
You think mowing grass is easy money don't ya, think again. Cranky customers, long hot days, breakdowns, rising fuel costs, and everyone else that wants to start a lawn care business low balling it and ruining it for the professionals.
People are doing this everywhere going in debt buying 2-3 mowers failing all over thinking it is easy.

It is very rough but great working outside and for yourself but it takes patience and experience. We have been doing this over 10 years now, it was us and 2 others in this small town I live in it is ridiculous now at the non-experience competition but then you have to go and fix their disasters. Or they just leave their customers hanging which is not acceptable.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can make more money fertilizing. Look into your state's requirements in getting a license/training. I service small lawns where there is much more profit than the larger lawns.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
It really depends on the size of the lawns you're mowing. In Vegas the average lawn is 1200 square feet. In the mid west people have several acres. Personally my average lawn is around 4500 square feet. My average client pays 32/week for mowing. My mowing season is about 28 weeks. To gross 50k that's 60 clients. Personally I use 95% Exmark 30's and 21's so my equipment cost is really low. In my area I would guess the number of clients to NET 50k would be the 75 client area. That's 15 lawns/day. If you get into fertilization, weed spraying, bush trimming, and other services the number of clients could be as low as 50ish. After a couple seasons of mowing 15/day it can easily get you considering going up to 100 clients, hiring someone to help you, and earning as much if not more and working less hours. As you grow and gain experience you will learn a lot and get a feel of where you want to be. I don't think most people want to be mowing for 40 years solo though.

You sound like me. Most of my lawns are 2,500-4,500 sq. feet average and I'm soley using the 30". How many customers came up and asked you if that's a push mower you were using?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think for a lot of us who are solo we make around 30 percent of gross. You will also find you won't need 50k a year's when you own your own business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For us, a full service customer, scu,fcu, mow, we would need 36. That's without snow plowing.
With snow plowing add another 18k.

The only problem is about 1/2 of our customers have us do everything.

Most are Fert customers tho. That's our bread and butter and that's where the money is
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2014, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Twenty four mowing customers, with twelve of them going for fall clean up, spring clean up, fert, reseed, lime, soil test, aerate, would yield a gross of $41,772 for me. Now when I get to twenty four customers I will see how good my guess is.

I never count on snow because we get enough low snow fall years mixed in.