Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-23-2014, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@CPS View Post
How DO you get Bermuda out of st Augustine? Serious question..
Posted via Mobile Device
Mow it waaay higher, give it less water, or spot kill it with roundup, or simmilar, and let the st aug grow back over the dead spot.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsmanracer View Post
I want customers, but I also don't want to look like a jerk.
I don't think the flyer makes you look like a jerk, however...it paints you as a bit foolish. So, in your case, which is worse? For example, as a third year college student, you should be embarrassed by your grammar and lack of proofreading. Step back, take a breath, and read your flyer's opening paragraph. Does that read as if the next sentence should include anything about being 3/4 of the way towards a degree? If you're not displaying any attention to detail for your primary marketing vehicle, what confidence should I have in your ability to pay attention to my property's needs?

As for the visual composition, I'd ask someone in the marketing school for a bit of help in punching next season's flyer up. It's just not remotely professional-looking. In fact, it's a DIY job that I would assume came from Neighbor Kid Lawn Mowing Service. That's not meant to be as harsh as it sounds, but it's the simple reality. Do a google image search for "lawn care flyer" or "lawn care ad", compare and contrast, and you'll see what I mean. Professional companies vs...not.

Now, to put myself in your competitor's shoes, I know that I would look at it and get a bit of a kick out of it. Cocky works if cocky can be backed up. That flyer supports cocky in your mind only. To think a "competitor" would worry about you, based on that flyer, is just foolishly cocky.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Mow it waaay higher, give it less water, or spot kill it with roundup, or simmilar, and let the st aug grow back over the dead spot.
Its my personal lawn. I mow at the highest (3.5 or 4" I believe). Can't spot kill it as its taken half my yard. Everything's nice and green, its just uneven. I was noticing today a BUNCH of st augustine stolons throughout the yard that weren't there a few weeks ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most people don't read door hangers and out of the select few that do a large percentage of them won't take the time to read your loooooooooooong advertisement. In other words, your door hanger will most likely be less effective than an advertisement that is designed to deliver its message clearly & quickly.

You have about 1 second to grab the reader's attention and your ad does not grab the reader's attention.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 04-23-2014, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Your enthusiasm is great.
Just post up some past/current work pics. They speak & say many words.

I'll have to agree with a previous poster' about the attitude. It could play well with some soccer/country club mom's, but not the hubbies. You might be perceived as expensive. Being one-of-a-kind(I.e. The "best") & all.

Lastly, your door hanger is promising allot. A job done better than anyone else might take awhile too.

Someone(actual paying customer if lucky) WILL take you to task on being the best. Don't be surprised if it's your competition either.
I can think of nothing better than making enemies(competition) in your area out-the-gate.
Most are good at something-rarely are they good at everything.

If your just starting out, how would/do you know that your the best in town ?

You asked.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
I don't think the flyer makes you look like a jerk, however...it paints you as a bit foolish. So, in your case, which is worse? For example, as a third year college student, you should be embarrassed by your grammar and lack of proofreading. Step back, take a breath, and read your flyer's opening paragraph. Does that read as if the next sentence should include anything about being 3/4 of the way towards a degree? If you're not displaying any attention to detail for your primary marketing vehicle, what confidence should I have in your ability to pay attention to my property's needs?

As for the visual composition, I'd ask someone in the marketing school for a bit of help in punching next season's flyer up. It's just not remotely professional-looking. In fact, it's a DIY job that I would assume came from Neighbor Kid Lawn Mowing Service. That's not meant to be as harsh as it sounds, but it's the simple reality. Do a google image search for "lawn care flyer" or "lawn care ad", compare and contrast, and you'll see what I mean. Professional companies vs...not.

Now, to put myself in your competitor's shoes, I know that I would look at it and get a bit of a kick out of it. Cocky works if cocky can be backed up. That flyer supports cocky in your mind only. To think a "competitor" would worry about you, based on that flyer, is just foolishly cocky.

Thank you for the honest feedback, I will definitely enlist the help of a designer once I do another round of advertisements, this was my first attempt at any sort of ad design.

As for the grammar and proofreading, I feel my grammar is more than sufficient for the message I am conveying. I know the sentences do not flow together very well, but that is the reasoning for the spacing between the points. They are meant to be read as individual, unrelated statements.

And really, who is expecting to read an elegant sonnet about how the lawn guy will cut your grass?
Old 04-23-2014, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@CPS View Post
Its my personal lawn. I mow at the highest (3.5 or 4" I believe). Can't spot kill it as its taken half my yard. Everything's nice and green, its just uneven. I was noticing today a BUNCH of st augustine stolons throughout the yard that weren't there a few weeks ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry man, besides that I really dont know. St augustine is supposed to be the "weed" that takes over everything else. Most of the time I deal with the exact opposite of your situation.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
As for the grammar and proofreading, I feel my grammar is more than sufficient for the message I am conveying. I know the sentences do not flow together very well, but that is the reasoning for the spacing between the points. They are meant to be read as individual, unrelated statements.
No, it's not even close to sufficient, especially since you've decided to include your college track. Your opening paragraph/sentence is atrocious.

Quote:
And really, who is expecting to read an elegant sonnet about how the lawn guy will cut your grass?
Literate doesn't have to mean elegant. You might be surprised by what separates the hired from the not.

Again, if you're going to bring the cocky, you need to back up the cocky. This is especially hard to do if you're not hired before they have the chance to discern actual fact from fiction. Effective marketing can get you in the door. Once you land a client, it's up to you to delight, or disappoint, and support the weight of your marketing message.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
No, it's not even close to sufficient, especially since you've decided to include your college track. Your opening paragraph/sentence is atrocious.
Elaborate on how you would fix it besides adding another "for" between "working" and "years" ?

I omitted typing "for" twice because the sentence "After working for years for a successful...." seemed awkward to me, had too many for's.

Or even how you would get the points across more clearly? A completely different sentence that still conveys the same message?

I gotta tell ya, I've never had a more stringent grammar critic than you, sir.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

you're just starting out, with sub standard equipment and you want to claim to be the best.

You can't say "as long as I believe I am the best"

Why do you believe you are the best?

Do you and better training?
More experience?
Better equipment?
A new improved way of doing things?
a secret no one else knows?

What claim do you have to that title? Even in your own mind?

Walk us through how you convince yourself you are better than the others?