Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2014, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Foreman upsell bonuses

I'm very fortunate to have found a great foreman who has got the hang of things and loves the detail work. He comes from a large company where he worked as a foreman for 5 years before moving. After conversations he maintained commercial properties and did full maintanence work. Some does he was at only 3 large properties per day.

We are mostly a mowing/app company and do mulch/pruning/etc per request.

I wonder how you guys would handle upsell bonuses. This guy has an eye for things and could generate some other side work.

Do you pay a percentage? How do you classify this on the paycheck(withholding, med, ss, etc or "on the side?"

Was thinking anything he could upsell I would allow him to contact the customer and discuss it, quote it, and try to sell it?

I'm trying to release a little control so I can focus on apps and the business.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If the guy is good at what he does I would give him a straight up raise, those bonuses have a way of backfiring as they 'push' upselling, next thing you know it ruins this guy into upselling crap the customers don't need because he's thinking of a paycheck, just my take on things.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree, no upsell bonus. What we do is give a bonus based on completing jobs on time and complete and for keeping equipment maintained and in good shape.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can see the side of just paying a higher wage.

We seem to have enough mowing and customer requested side work to keep everyone busy and profitable.

I was just thinking that if this guy likes to prune, plant seasonal color, etc that he could seek out those jobs. Maybe he notices ms smiths shrubs need pruning. I would wait for her to call and price it accordingly, but if he wanted to call and upsell a prune I would pay him some type of bonus since this is outside of his requested duties.

I'm fine with being a mowing and application company because personally I don't like to prune or pine straw/mulch. I do those because they are part of the business and good wet weather jobs.