Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-24-2014, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutsLC View Post
I am keeping myself flexible in case the 'partner' bails, but really I see him as an asset. I am the sole owner, he could be considered a ' consult' kinda.
Posted via Mobile Device
It would probably help people here to better focus on what advice you really need if you would stop dancing around the "partner/not a partner/consultant/employee" thing. What is he? What has been defined and agreed upon?

Fwiw, if you're referring to him as your partner, and he's actually not, it is likely going to lead to issues down the road, especially if/when things go South. Pick a title, pick a role, write it out, and stick to it.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sears products are low grade. Though I see where you would rather be debt free. So if you have to wait before you can afford commercial equipment.

I would not want a partner.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go alone. No partners. Understand that a heavy duty craftsman mower is still a homeowner mower as is the deere trimmer. They are not designed for use day in and day out, so make sure you put all money aside for better equipment purchases. As for the number of accounts, I can do 5 a day after my normal job (6a-2:30p), 5 isn't gonna buy you new equipment, get a clientele, or prepare you for the jump to full time. To me, 5 a week isnt a part time gig, its a hobby, even with a full time job. I am solo, have a full time job, and I do just under 20 a week plus mulch installs and plantings. I am hoping to pick up a few more this year too.

This is enough work to make it feel like a business. The scheduling, the income, the bids, etc. If I were you I would expand your horizons on the amount of work you want to do, solo. No partner. Hire a helper if you need to, but do not bring on a partner.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why don't you hire him as a manager. Shared responsibilities don't work well. Have him build it up while you work so you just have to get your hands dirty when you want and when it seems like you have a good thing going quit your job and run the business full time. I'd get a 48 or 52 stander wb or stander sooner than later.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2014, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Why don't you hire him as a manager. Shared responsibilities don't work well. Have him build it up while you work so you just have to get your hands dirty when you want and when it seems like you have a good thing going quit your job and run the business full time. I'd get a 48 or 52 stander wb or stander sooner than later.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good luck doing this...most dudes quickly realize you have little skin in the game and get greedy and want to go out on their own..why do they need you? They are doing all the work.
If you find somone who will do this for you...pay them well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2014, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Good luck doing this...most dudes quickly realize you have little skin in the game and get greedy and want to go out on their own..why do they need you? They are doing all the work.
If you find somone who will do this for you...pay them well
Posted via Mobile Device
Right. Pay them 20 or more an hr and they leave the business behind when they go home at night.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2014, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Solo here also. I wouldn't recommend a "partnership" in lawn care. If he's true in the "partnership" is he offering anything other than a little experience that Neighbor Joe could get from doing a few lawns week in and week out? Is he putting fourth a few grand to go half on the commercial equipment? If not, you are better off doing it by yourself. You can have the same experience he has with a little work without having to split half of your company. Me personally, when it comes to lawn care, I wouldn't want a "partner" anyway. Too many things can go sour, he can get tired of working and splitting the earnings, and decide he's the one with experience and that can knock out all the lawns and advertise and try to take all of your accounts. Experience comes with time, get you a few lawns, save for some commercial equipment, especially if you are already making 50k, I would be buying a little out of each check, and most importantly draw up a business plan, tally expenses, and come up with a marketing plan, and go to work. I started out with a few neighborhood lawns this year, and it's only April and landed 60+ customers this year and still getting calls from simply drawing out a marketing plan. Granted, I wouldn't want a "partnership" in my business, if I was going to hire ANYBODY, it would be an accountant to keep up with the books, incoming money, etc. As for equipment, like I said, your making 50k already, buy a new piece each week, until you have what you need. I can't emphasize no matter how "heavy duty" you think a Craftsman is, it's built for homeowners mowing their lawns. When you get to doing 7-8 maybe even 9 or 10 lawns a day, that Craftsman might not make it through a whole day. And I can tell you from experience already how stressful it is when you have an equipment failure with customers ringing your phone wondering why you are not holding up to your word and there right then and there when they need it mowed.