Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Who uses walk behinds

The HUGE company's all use standers. Everyone that just got a mower and started cutting grass last night is use standers. Does any one do 100+ lawns a week with walk behinds. I have a 72" turf tiger for larger properties but everything else is 48" walk behinds with pro slides. I don't do 100 yet but its not too far off hopefully. And if you use mainly walk behinds on resi's at what point do you switch from running 2 or 3 w/b to a large ztr. I do mostly high end full service resi's and can out stripe a stander any day. But that stander will get done mowing faster and with less fatigue to the operator. Just curious what some of you larger guys do.
48" scag wb
36" scag wb
48" kees wb
fs95 stick edger
2x fs80
2x br600
2x caliced hands
Old 04-23-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I never liked the pro slides.
Used a few back in 2000-2001, they weren't horrible, just meh.

Im not a huge fan of standers either (which is ironic because I worked for great dane when they were a 'new' thing)
Ive personally owned Dane and wright standers.
Put several many hours on the first generation JD quick trak.
Have a Vride now.

I like intermediate walk behinds.
They are the most versatile.

No stander can do as good a job on as steep a hill as a walk behind, and there are stick situations that a walk behind makes easy.
That's why I prefer walk behinds, more versatility. I don't have to think about a lawn when I send guys out on a route.. "can that mower do all the lawns on that route?"

Ideally, the best set up is a rider and walk behind per crew.

standers can do 75% of what a walk behind can do, faster and 90% of what a rider can do slower.
So for most companies trying to put crews out to work, standers just make sense.
It's also easier to get guys to work for less money "riding" a stander , than walking.
$12 on a stander = $14 walking.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every mower has it's place. I just love walk behinds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mowed a LOT of grass with 36inch hydros...38, 40 residential per crew per day before we added commercial accounts...we've got centaurs, walk behinds, vrides..the guys choose the walkbehinds for homes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

5 or 6 years ago I swear everyone had a new stander in this town. It was a fad here and they still are out there but I see a lot of WB mowers on trailers-this year for sure. A lot of newbs with beat up WBs this year too. I swear these guys MUST have a huge dent in the side of the truck on purpose and brand new trailers everywhere. Everywhere. We'll see who makes it til July. Same thing every year. Last year "Turn Key Lawns" had the shop next to us and they did OK job but after 6-7 weeks he was gone(along with his ridiculous yard sign) and the old guys were back again. I smiled. They leave it longer and it looks so much better than the OK job Keyed up Lawns did.

TP again Ive been on the same fence as the oP for 2 years now and signed a killer hill today MOF. This is good to hear from you.

OP I don't do "100 lawns a week" but you come with me for a few days i'll show ya 100+ acres and only 14 accounts. Pick your battles I guess.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea I have a few properties that equal several acres. That's what the turf tiger is for. I'm wondering if anyone does 100+ residentals, not including large acerages and crap properties that are mostly weeds, with walk behinds. And if so, what's the largest, 1 property or 2+ connected with no fence you do with walk behinds, obviously running multiple on one lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am with Tpen.

When I first started this business every larger company had standers on their trailers. Now the only larger company around that uses them is Valleycrest. Brickman and Trugreen still us the Turf Tracers, a couple of local companies have about two walk behinds, one or two 21s and a rider per trailer, and two companies use nothing but 60 and 48 inch Exmark Walk Behinds.

here is a good article as to why guys still like walk behinds, and why some companies think sales are increasing-

http://www.greenindustrypros.com/art...ial-walk-mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 21 X Series Kawasaki BBC
2012 Exmark Commercial 21 S Series
2013 Echo PAS-280
2013 Echo PB-770T
Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

And you can always attach a velky or something similar if you really do not want to walk. I have a 48" Bobcat and I love it!

48" Bobcat WB w/ 14hp Kohler
21" Troy Built
Echo 225 trimmer/edger combo
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer
Old 04-24-2014, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

This is the same boat I am in now. Do lawn maintenance on the side, not a lot of accounts and this is my third year doing it.
SCAG 36" WB first season
Added SCAG 48" HYDRO the second year
Just sold the 48" and bought a 52" Stander X

Only time will tell if I like it.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut 100+ lawns a week. Have a 60" Vantage, 60" Tracer and 48" Tracer. The 60" Tracer gets used the most by a margin of 3 to 1. Terrain is an issue here. Lots of hills, etc. Originally purchased the Vantage hoping to gain some productivity. Has not turned out that way as the Tracer is faster at the end of the week. That said, I love the Vantage.