Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-26-2014, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey from Dfw, Texas!

I Signed up a while back but never introduced myself. My name is Cameron, and my company is Grant's Top Cut.I started up last year and got my DBA and other stuff this year. So I'm pretty legit, still need a few things. Im a college student and do mowing and landscaping part time for right now. I think I have 18 accounts and growing at about 2-3 per week right now. My equipment is alright, I've bought almost everything used because I'm on a tight budget and still need some things. Almost all my stuff is commercial, only thing that's not is my edger, but I only paid $10 for it and it's lasted me a year. I service cities in the metroplex, which are North Richland Hills, Hurst, Watauga, Bedford and some Other surrounding areas. My favorite thing is being my own boss and grossing $25-$35 per man hour. I plan on buying an enclosed trailer in about 2 months, then a walk behind and another 21" or Toro 30" for the days I need a helper. I run out of a 2003 F150 and a decent looking homemade trailer. I can't think of anything else, ask questions if you want?
Old 04-26-2014, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Welcome...lots of business out there in Texas
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2014, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Welcome...lots of business out there in Texas
Posted via Mobile Device
Ya, there sure is!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2014, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrant711 View Post
I Signed up a while back but never introduced myself. My name is Cameron, and my company is Grant's Top Cut.I started up last year and got my DBA and other stuff this year. So I'm pretty legit, still need a few things. Im a college student and do mowing and landscaping part time for right now. I think I have 18 accounts and growing at about 2-3 per week right now. My equipment is alright, I've bought almost everything used because I'm on a tight budget and still need some things. Almost all my stuff is commercial, only thing that's not is my edger, but I only paid $10 for it and it's lasted me a year. I service cities in the metroplex, which are North Richland Hills, Hurst, Watauga, Bedford and some Other surrounding areas. My favorite thing is being my own boss and grossing $25-$35 per man hour. I plan on buying an enclosed trailer in about 2 months, then a walk behind and another 21" or Toro 30" for the days I need a helper. I run out of a 2003 F150 and a decent looking homemade trailer. I can't think of anything else, ask questions if you want?
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

If you only grossing "$25 - $35 per man hour", you are way under priced for our market…You should double your hourly rate.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 04-27-2014, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

If you only grossing "$25 - $35 per man hour", you are way under priced for our market…You should double your hourly rate.
No I can't just yet. People already think my prices are high as it is, plus I need to learn more so making a little less isn't bad. One thing I don't do is negotiate with cheap people. If they don't like my price because I already know I'm giving a better deal then I just tell them to have a good day and leave, no point in telling them it's a good deal for quality work. Those people are the ones that get stuck with someone doing it almost for free and the person never shows back up.

Just starting out and being solo, I'm slower than most guys, and I don't have all the equipment I need to preform certain jobs so they take me longer and I get by on what tools I can use, plus I need to get better at estimating but a lot of that comes from experience and my operating cost are flat out lower.

For mowing I make about $40 per man hour using a 21. Once I get a good ideas of exactly what I need I'll go buy it. Either a 30" or a 48" wb when I get my new trailer because my current trailer is only 46" wide.

it's just the side jobs that are more difficult. Picking up leaves for example, did a job the other day and way more leaves than I thought, made probably $5 per hour after taking out cost, but then there are jobs like planting where I make $200 in about 4 hours after cost.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2014, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Any new guy should not operate at the same rate as a seasoned company until he is close to speed and ability as other companies...paying someone the going rate to learn how to mow and do jobs is going to lose customers simply cause it'll take him a lot more time to complete a job..and in the end he will be overcharging.
Bidding lawns per job is fine, it may take you twice as long as a seasoned lco, be competative and charge enough so you can stay in business rather than undervaluing your time or going broke. And know your expenses.
Folks pay for premium service, insurance, prompt, predictible service schedules, knowledge and experience...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2014, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Folks pay for premium service, insurance, prompt, predictible service schedules, knowledge and experience...
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks and that's what I'm going for. I don't show up do half the job and realize I'm not making anything and leave. I finish it the same way I would for anyone else. Just bid work higher the next time for that customer because now they know the job I do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome we need more Texas guys on lawnsite. Will look forward to some pictures.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Welcome we need more Texas guys on lawnsite. Will look forward to some pictures.
Ya, I've been taking a lot just haven't found the time to post them. I'll have a lot more up on my Facebook page pretty soon I'll make sure to post some on here. I look up the link to my page and post it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
business , enclosed , hardwork , startup , trailer