Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz37 View Post
Some of you guys are talking about picking up a bunch of new customers already this year. One even said with Zero advertising dollars spent....so my question is...how? Im brand new, with only 7 regular customers. And i spent several hundred dollars to get them. So far im making more from mulch jobs from bandit signs than i am regular grass customers. So guys......what is the key to getting customers? Ive tried door hangers.....craigslist......bandit signs....im open to any ideas. And i have a website, but i havent done anything to get it brought up by web searches. Maybe i need to focus there?
thanks guys
Mine is all word of mouth and I called a few other companies that don't do any mowing but offer other services and have customers that need help. I'm going to try seeing if any realtor's have homes that need kept up but I'm just calling around and talking to people as much as I can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz37 View Post
Some of you guys are talking about picking up a bunch of new customers already this year. One even said with Zero advertising dollars spent....so my question is...how? Im brand new, with only 7 regular customers. And i spent several hundred dollars to get them. So far im making more from mulch jobs from bandit signs than i am regular grass customers. So guys......what is the key to getting customers? Ive tried door hangers.....craigslist......bandit signs....im open to any ideas. And i have a website, but i havent done anything to get it brought up by web searches. Maybe i need to focus there?
thanks guys
Branding is key, going into my 5th full year and advertising isn't needed anymore. Trucks are lettered and good work goes a long way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

This is my first year and I haven't done near the amount of advertising I should have. I am starting to put out more flyers but I should have done more earlier.
As of today I have 4 weeklies and 2 bi-weeklies and those all came from CL. I am getting calls but only getting maybe a third of my estimates. Which I am taking as I am pricing myself fairly well.
I do miss quite a few calls while I am mowing. Any SOLO guys using a phone service of any kind? If so how's it working?
Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The weather won't co-operate.. nature of the biz i guess... lol. I'm up 80 customers this year with virtually no advertising budget besides what i pay for web hosting. I only mow 30 or so, and 120 or so fert / weed control customers. The weather keeps messing things up for me, looks like i'll be getting nothing done tomorrow. I made sure to get all my work for tomorrow done today too to try to keep ahead, but they are saying storms all day wednesday too! grrr..

Servicing Dallas, Acworth, Kennesaw, & Woodstock, Ga
Old 04-28-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
The weather won't co-operate.. nature of the biz i guess... lol. I'm up 80 customers this year with virtually no advertising budget besides what i pay for web hosting. I only mow 30 or so, and 120 or so fert / weed control customers. The weather keeps messing things up for me, looks like i'll be getting nothing done tomorrow. I made sure to get all my work for tomorrow done today too to try to keep ahead, but they are saying storms all day wednesday too! grrr..
This guys like a phenom for free SEO. brad you are amazing with SEO my hats off
Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So far everything sucks, but I expect that to change, and I'm not letting it get me down.

Winter just didn't want to end this year and as a result, I started getting calls for cleanups right about the time that the lawns need cutting - people just didn't have "spring" on their minds this year and didn't think about cleanups until WAY late.

As a solo guy, that makes for a scheduling nightmare. I only have two days a week to do "project" work and thus far, I've had other mandatory obligations that I had no control of on several of those days, which set me back. Then when I DID have a free day for cleanups, it would SNOW, or we'd have hurricane winds, or it would pour down rain. Ugh.

I'm just having a hard time getting this season off to a good start.

The phone keeps ringing - all these Angie's List members looking for help.
If they want mowing, I'm all over that - I have a few spots to fill, If they want a cleanup, they need to find someone else because I just don't have the time.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Down her in the south we have had some turf issues. Winter kill and pythium is everywhere.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

way behind where id like to be. going to be cutting before all cleanups are done. no telling when ill be able to get to install jobs ive already committed too. rain all week going to screw my plans even more. also had two new employees not work out. 1 guy fell off the face of the earth on his day to start and the other wasn't cut out for it so I had to let him go. some positives. added new equipment and will be adding more. picked up a healthy amount of new commercial maintenance contracts. so money will be good this year.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Is that with plowing? How many crews/employees?
Posted via Mobile Device
yes with 65k of snow

3 full time and 2 part time and those 2 are for Friday and Saturday When I do my 100 acre Lawn

As of today I'm at 110k still climbing
Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Solo Pt. Good start so far just slow on mowing. Some I have done some twice some only once. Few mulch jobs done and a few to go. Billing out $5500 for April. Turned down a few jobs because I just don't have time. No advertising so far. I'm maxed out for my situation. Raised mowing prices and lost a couple and gave one away. I'm happy.
Posted via Mobile Device