Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2014, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

kawasaki fb460v not starting

just bought an old John Deere 52" belt drive wb off craigslist. was running great, starting on first or second pull. Then when mowing some tall grass, a wad of grass (due to dull blades) caught between the edge of the blades and the deck - stopping the blades from spinning. I immediately turned of the blades, and then shut the engine down, jacked up the deck, cleared the grass blockage. now the engine will not start. i checked and the engine is getting spark. I have also tried starting fluid in the carb. the engine will sputter but will not start. there is new gas in the tank. the only odd thing i noticed was that a long spring (without the ends attached to anything) had one of the carb linkages running through it. I don't know where it connects but I don't see any part of the carb controls not functioning due to it. I also checked the choke mechanism on the carb, and the throttle cable is sending it all the way into position.

anything you can suggest is welcomed.
lumien
Old 04-27-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Sputtering but not starting. Weird. Sounds like you are flooding it with Starter fluid to me... Try again with the starting fluid. take spark plug out turn over a few times to get old gas out if any in. Make sure plug is not wet. then a quick Psst Psst spray straight down carbs throat with choke open and start again. It should turn on for a sec or a few run for a moment and die out. If that happens.

Drain fuel tank, clean fuel tank clean fuel lines or replace. Replace fuel filter, take carb apart Chemdip, ultrasonically clean. Clean it in your sink take a bath with it don;t matter what you do take carb apart completely and clean it and dry it. Reassamble then commence grass cutting.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

A quick Psst Psst. Is like a door knock "knock knock." A little of that trash goes a long way.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice. I will give that a try when i get home. Also, a coworker suggested that when the deck clogged and the blades stopped abruptly I could have sheared a key (or keyway not sure which is correct) which is intended to save the crankshaft from damage. I have no experience with this - does it sound plausible?

Also a general question about carbs - do they foul really easy? I ask because I was always under the assumption that a carb would need to be cleaned if you left old fuel in it and it gummed up, but as I said my mower was running great before this happened so in my mind the carb should not be fouled up.

Thanks again,

Lumien
Old 04-28-2014, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking sheared or tweaked key throwing spark timing off. Probably sheared.

If it won't run on starting fluid it is a spark issue. Sputtering tells me it is not firing at the right time.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 04-28-2014, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Let's talk about the blades for a second... Is it abnormal for dull blades to get a chunk of tall grass stuck between the edge of the blades and the deck? Just wondering if the blades could be too long or the deck damaged. There was actually a wad of grass stuck on 2 of the three blades.

Lumien
Old 04-28-2014, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag mowers

-Og Mandino

Last edited by Blade Runners; 04-28-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as blades, our mower blades come within 1/4" of the edges of our deck and baffling so it would be easy to get something lodged in between them and the deck. Grass stopping a commercial mower blade does sound funny though. We have hit 1/2" rebar and twisted it up pretty good and all it done was nick a blade

Scag mowers

-Og Mandino
Old 04-28-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the info on the blades. it will give me something else to check. unfortunately i can't locate a model number on this JD (there's no serial number on the left side of the machine as there should be), so I don't currently have a manual to confirm if it has the correct blades.

Lumien
Old 04-28-2014, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Going over the entire machine before taking it out for its maiden mow is simply a part of the routine I have grown accustomed to, whether used or brand new I was taught to do this with every machine, sharpening the blades is a part of this routine, unfortunately because of that I simply can't relate to mowing with dull blades with one of my machines, in all of the years I've never done that.

That having been said I would let the machine sit overnight, and try in the morning to start it full choke and 1/2 throttle.
Once it starts let it run for a bit, then shut her down and go sharpen the blades.
Don't run another machine outside of maintenance that hasn't been done.
Don't do it, and you'll at least eliminate this one problem from your life.

Granted, I can't tell you my life is headache free but I can tell you I can recall struggling with life years ago until the day I decided I didn't want that anymore, and someone informed me that I would have to make changes.

Last edited by herler; 04-28-2014 at 09:22 PM.