Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-28-2014, 12:42 PM
mwalz's Avatar
mwalz mwalz is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 821
What size trailer

I know this is more of my preference and what works best for me, but what size trailer works the best for you? Right now orscheln has a 5x10 on sale locally for $850.

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/2000...si5175787/cl1/

I don't want to spend more than 1k on a trailer because i don't make that much to begin with as of now anyways. I would like a 12' trailer to make it easier to expand with bigger machines as time goes on. I am currently borrowing a 5x8 trailer from a friend, and it is a little on the small side. Right now all I need to fit, is 2-3 blowers, 2 trimmers which i will get a rack for, a 21" push, and a toro 36" wb with a sulky hanging off the back. Is 10' a good size to get? Or should i just go ahead and go for the 12' even though it's a little out of my price range. What are your suggestions?
__________________
My Equipment thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=425995

Goal is at least 30 regular mowing accounts for 2015!
2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:21 PM
AMW Landscaping's Avatar
AMW Landscaping AMW Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 550
6.5x12 is what I use. It's a custom PJ and I love it. Can't get a better trailer than a PJ.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:25 PM
JeremyKuhn's Avatar
JeremyKuhn JeremyKuhn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Christiansburg, VA
Posts: 177
I'm a solo operator but I went ahead and got a 6x16 Tandem for future expansion. I have a Gravely 460 and a Exmark Viking 36" WB and could easily fit them on a 12' though. I would go with the biggest trailer you can afford, you may not see it up front but you can fit more when you expand later.
__________________
07 F150 4.6L V8
6x16 Tandem
Gravely 460
Exmark Viking 36"
Echo SRM-230, PAS-266, PB-770T
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:31 PM
AMW Landscaping's Avatar
AMW Landscaping AMW Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 550
Also want to consider the axle weight so you can carry bulk materials
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:43 PM
southerntide's Avatar
southerntide southerntide is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,768
5x10 right now looking for new dual axle 6.5 or 7x12 plan on upgrading adding 2nd mower soon hard to find trailers where I live most places are at least 2 1/2 hours away.

You want at least 3000lb axle for dual zero turn commercials

What you have now would be good 5x8 for what you have and budget or 5x10 starting out you could find a good used one just get the axle checked first.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:44 PM
southerntide's Avatar
southerntide southerntide is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&M Lawncare View Post
5x10 right now looking for new dual axle 6.5 or 7x12 plan on upgrading adding 2nd mower soon hard to find trailers where I live most places are at least 2 1/2 hours away.

You want at least 3000lb axle for dual zero turn commercials

What you have now would be good 5x8 for what you have and budget or 5x10 starting out you could find a good used one just get the axle checked first.
I paid $350 for our 5x10 new but that was quit some years ago
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:48 PM
skorum03 skorum03 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
I know this is more of my preference and what works best for me, but what size trailer works the best for you? Right now orscheln has a 5x10 on sale locally for $850.

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/2000...si5175787/cl1/

I don't want to spend more than 1k on a trailer because i don't make that much to begin with as of now anyways. I would like a 12' trailer to make it easier to expand with bigger machines as time goes on. I am currently borrowing a 5x8 trailer from a friend, and it is a little on the small side. Right now all I need to fit, is 2-3 blowers, 2 trimmers which i will get a rack for, a 21" push, and a toro 36" wb with a sulky hanging off the back. Is 10' a good size to get? Or should i just go ahead and go for the 12' even though it's a little out of my price range. What are your suggestions?
get the 6x14 single axle. Not much more expensive than the 6x12 and more room. If I were you I would get the 6x18, cause I am in the same shoes sorta where I need something bigger and could get by with a 6x12 or 6x14 but know the extra 300-$400 is worth the size. And pretty much everyone on here tells you to go bigger
__________________
2000 Silverado Half ton 4x4
2000 Ford Excursion 4x4
2001 Ford F250 PSD w/8ft Western Ultra Mount
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:48 PM
ztman ztman is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mountain pa
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
I know this is more of my preference and what works best for me, but what size trailer works the best for you? Right now orscheln has a 5x10 on sale locally for $850.

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/2000...si5175787/cl1/

I don't want to spend more than 1k on a trailer because i don't make that much to begin with as of now anyways. I would like a 12' trailer to make it easier to expand with bigger machines as time goes on. I am currently borrowing a 5x8 trailer from a friend, and it is a little on the small side. Right now all I need to fit, is 2-3 blowers, 2 trimmers which i will get a rack for, a 21" push, and a toro 36" wb with a sulky hanging off the back. Is 10' a good size to get? Or should i just go ahead and go for the 12' even though it's a little out of my price range. What are your suggestions?
The trailer in the link appears to be a light weight weekend warrior trailer. 1 7/8" coupler and no a-frame. You may want to shop around and pay a few extra bucks for one with atleast a 2" coupler and an a-frame.
__________________
I don't mind spending money, I mind wasting money!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:49 PM
southerntide's Avatar
southerntide southerntide is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
get the 6x14 single axle. Not much more expensive than the 6x12 and more room. If I were you I would get the 6x18, cause I am in the same shoes sorta where I need something bigger and could get by with a 6x12 or 6x14 but know the extra 300-$400 is worth the size. And pretty much everyone on here tells you to go bigger
Also need to know what vehicle he has to pull the trailer smaller trucks cannot handle to much
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-2014, 03:05 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,520
Define smaller truck.

My 150 pulls a 7 x 16. Or 18 I can't remember
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mowers , trailer , truck

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 AM.

Page generated in 0.07628 seconds with 7 queries