Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-28-2014, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Did You Know This About Stihl Trimmers

I just found out Sthil clutches has a life time warranty
My 2 FS130 needed new clutches they will be year old come May 25th
Which the trimmers are still under warranty but the dealer told me the clutches have Life Time Warranty.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No I did not know that but then again it all depends on who your dealer is, or should I say, who is going to honor that so-called warranty...
I mean where do I take my clutch to, somehow I don't think my dealer is going to honor it...
The real problem I see however is that clutches are going to wear out, regardless.

I guess I could try Southern States but then I'm still not sure, see...
As a business owner I understand when it costs the store money, ultimately we all end up paying for it.
So whether I should get free ones or just pay for it upfront, it all ends up about the same in the end.
It's the same thing with brake shoes, it kills me, they offer a lifetime warranty on merchandise that wears out by design.
Something just doesn't sound right but if your dealer is willing to give you new clutches for your old ones, by all means, I'd go for it.

Last edited by herler; 04-28-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As long as you are the original owner. They used to do ignitions on saws too. Must be original owner.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Which the trimmers are still under warranty but the dealer told me the clutches have Life Time Warranty.
They do that because the clutches rarely ever wear out with normal use. No guards - no warranty. Springs are not covered. Clutch shoes only.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dealer gets paid a certain amount for warranty work so they don't lose money. Remember when they did a recall on the gas caps? Took it to the dealer and he looked it up,still under warranty 3 yrs later. And he made money on me because I bought some more stuff while waiting.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't recall reading that in the owners book.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
As long as you are the original owner. They used to do ignitions on saws too. Must be original owner.
I'm only owner after I get done with them not much left is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
They do that because the clutches rarely ever wear out with normal use. No guards - no warranty. Springs are not covered. Clutch shoes only.
Springs are included you cant just buy shoes. Now Clutch shields isn't include
With my dealer I just tell them and they give me the part I fix it myself under warranty Since I cant wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I don't recall reading that in the owners book.
I never read that book
Old 04-30-2014, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, the shoes come with a spring, but the lifetime warranty only covers the shoes. If the spring breaks, that will not fall under the lifetime warranty. Just to clarify my statement.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
And it's been that way since January 1, 2000...

Limited Lifetime Clutch Warranty Coverage
All STIHL trimmer, brushcutter, clearing saw, HT tree pruner, KW powered sweeper, edger, KM and MM multitool machines, hedge trimmer, BT 45, BT 120, BT 121 and BT 130 boring gears models purchased after January 1, 2000, come with centrifugal clutch shoes that are warranted for the life of the product while owned by the original retail purchaser. For any of these products sold to retail customers after January 1, 2000, STIHL will replace any defective centrifugal clutch shoe for as long as the original purchaser owns the product. This warranty covers the cost of parts and labor to replace the clutch shoes. This warranty is limited to all uses except rental use. The lifetime warranty applies to the centrifugal clutch shoes only or the clutch assembly if the clutch shoes are an integral part of the assembly. Clutch drums, clutch springs, mounting hubs, bearings, fasteners and clutch housings are not covered under the lifetime clutch warranty policy. Lifetime warranty coverage for the centrifugal clutch is to the original owner only and is non-transferable.

Limited Lifetime Drive Shaft Warranty Coverage
STIHL extends a limited lifetime warranty for all drive shafts used in STIHL trimmers, brushcutters, clearing saws, edgers, HT 100, HT 130, and HT 250 tree pruners (HT 73, HT 75, HT 101, HT 131 tree pruners are excluded), KW model powered sweepers, extended length HL model hedge trimmers, KM and FS split-shaft STIHL KombiSystem multi-tool machines (including KM and FS attachments), and MM multi-tool machines. For any of these products sold to retail customers after July 1, 1995, STIHL will replace any defective drive shaft for as long as the original retail purchaser owns the product. This warranty covers the cost of parts and labor to replace the drive shaft. This warranty is limited to all uses except rental use. Only the machine’s drive shaft carries a limited lifetime warranty. Drive shaft housings, tubes, liners, supports, couplers, bearings and bushings are subject to the normal warranty time periods of the machine. Lifetime warranty coverage for the drive shaft is to the original owner only and is non-transferable.
All STIHL products are warranted for 60 days when product is used for rental purposes.
All STIHL model PA axes, PH hedge shears, PL loppers, PP pruners and PS pruning saws are warranted against defective material or workmanship for the life of the product while owned by the original purchaser (other than for purposes of resale) when used for all applications.

Now as for giving you "Warranty Parts" over the counter to install, that would be an interesting warranty claim to see...

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
And it's been that way since January 1, 2000...

Limited Lifetime Clutch Warranty Coverage
All STIHL trimmer, brushcutter, clearing saw, HT tree pruner, KW powered sweeper, edger, KM and MM multitool machines, hedge trimmer, BT 45, BT 120, BT 121 and BT 130 boring gears models purchased after January 1, 2000, come with centrifugal clutch shoes that are warranted for the life of the product while owned by the original retail purchaser. For any of these products sold to retail customers after January 1, 2000, STIHL will replace any defective centrifugal clutch shoe for as long as the original purchaser owns the product. This warranty covers the cost of parts and labor to replace the clutch shoes. This warranty is limited to all uses except rental use. The lifetime warranty applies to the centrifugal clutch shoes only or the clutch assembly if the clutch shoes are an integral part of the assembly. Clutch drums, clutch springs, mounting hubs, bearings, fasteners and clutch housings are not covered under the lifetime clutch warranty policy. Lifetime warranty coverage for the centrifugal clutch is to the original owner only and is non-transferable.

Limited Lifetime Drive Shaft Warranty Coverage
STIHL extends a limited lifetime warranty for all drive shafts used in STIHL trimmers, brushcutters, clearing saws, edgers, HT 100, HT 130, and HT 250 tree pruners (HT 73, HT 75, HT 101, HT 131 tree pruners are excluded), KW model powered sweepers, extended length HL model hedge trimmers, KM and FS split-shaft STIHL KombiSystem multi-tool machines (including KM and FS attachments), and MM multi-tool machines. For any of these products sold to retail customers after July 1, 1995, STIHL will replace any defective drive shaft for as long as the original retail purchaser owns the product. This warranty covers the cost of parts and labor to replace the drive shaft. This warranty is limited to all uses except rental use. Only the machine’s drive shaft carries a limited lifetime warranty. Drive shaft housings, tubes, liners, supports, couplers, bearings and bushings are subject to the normal warranty time periods of the machine. Lifetime warranty coverage for the drive shaft is to the original owner only and is non-transferable.
All STIHL products are warranted for 60 days when product is used for rental purposes.
All STIHL model PA axes, PH hedge shears, PL loppers, PP pruners and PS pruning saws are warranted against defective material or workmanship for the life of the product while owned by the original purchaser (other than for purposes of resale) when used for all applications.

Now as for giving you "Warranty Parts" over the counter to install, that would be an interesting warranty claim to see...
Well that's how it works with my dealer I been buying from them since 80s
and its a Farm store So Buying just lawn stuff isn't only thing I buy from them I say I spend 2-3k from them a month half Lawn Side half farm Side

So I have a lot pull there