Register free!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

another texas poster here....and we are suffering. St Augustine took big hits over the winter with colder than normal temps, and lack of moisture.

Bermuda isn't coming back quickly this spring because we haven't had any rain.

For that barren area to fill in, the most cost effective way to fill it in would be seed with a Bermuda or something like that, and then keep it watered (which means irrigated in our case these days....LOL).

Many yards have gone downhill over the last two years in this area too. More weeds due to windy conditions, and less grass due to lack of rain.

Hopefully this changes soon
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 05-01-2014, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was looking at a few more today and I do not think there is enough left to try and recover.
I am really wondering when I will have someone try and sue me for sod saying it is my fault.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Our bermuda just won't come out but we swing from 90 to 50 every other week. It may be 40 tonite. The zoysia is ok but st augustine is best. We can get all the sodding work we can handle but when you can only water once a week. hate to wish for el nino.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Our bermuda just won't come out but we swing from 90 to 50 every other week. It may be 40 tonite. The zoysia is ok but st augustine is best. We can get all the sodding work we can handle but when you can only water once a week. hate to wish for el nino.
I think El Niño is going to be are only hope for drought relief.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2014, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Strange how it changes from area to area. Hess, I can tell your picture is in Austin or near by though! I have a few baramudas that look the same exact way right now after treatment. The weeds are gone, but plenty of bare soil now. The good thing, after treating, fertilizing, and customer irrigation, I'm now seeing Baramuda coming up in the bare spots on the lawns that were aerated. Have a few lawns with soil compaction and even being treated and fertilized, the bare spots are still struggling. As far as grass to grass, I have a few lawns that look like above. I blame most of them on customer negligence for letting them get that bad. Have several that are now only wanting something done about it after years of negligence because HOA is out and about and sending pictures of the lawn in the mail with their "stipulations" or threats. Other then that, the majority of my St. Augustine and Baramuda lawns that are cared for, irrigated, fertilized, and mowed weekly are looking like a southern charm. I have the Zoysia on my lawn, had a small issue with Dallis Grass. Other then that I'm thankful for the Zoysia. Tempatures are on the rise, the Zoysia's being cut at less than an 1" and the Dallis Grass is a problem of the past. I cut our Zoysia at 7/8" today and it looks better then the golf coarse that sharpened the reel!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like I was saying, if people do not want weeds in the bermuda or zoysia, it has to be mowed correctly. Turf gets dense enough and a lot of the weeds have trouble managing at less than 1".

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-04-2014, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Forgot about areas inside the fenced pool. But it is green.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2014, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

In my area the Bermuda is doing good, but the St. Augustine looks horrible. I think Turf Dawg is right with the long cold period and no rain it's just taken a beating. The shaded area are by far the worst at greening up.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Landscaping View Post
In my area the Bermuda is doing good, but the St. Augustine looks horrible. I think Turf Dawg is right with the long cold period and no rain it's just taken a beating. The shaded area are by far the worst at greening up.
In Austin it seems just the opposite the St Augustine is real green and bermuda struggling
Old 05-04-2014, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
In Austin it seems just the opposite the St Augustine is real green and bermuda struggling
I have a new account that would look like your pics if I treated them with selective herbicide...she insists in a organic approach. Thats fine but when its gotten to a certaon point I think it requires a chemical solution to gain control of the weeds, then go back with organic maitenance. Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device