Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2014, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking on CL $15 for front lawns?

I was looking at my competition on CL today and I found this:

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/fgs/4529659507.html

The pictures look good, but $15 for the front lawn? Most front lawns have more trimming work than the back, and how do you advertise that in a city this size? You could easily spend more time driving than you do mowing...

How do people do this and still make money?

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 06-29-2014, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

By the sounds of the ad, it looks like he isn't a "legit" company. Sounds more like a person out to make a few bucks on sunday.

There can be money made charging $15. But there are a lot of limitations. Travel times, equipment used, route territory are the basics, as well as your location. Then there are ways to market it. Based off the pictures in the ad, I would charge more than $15 for those lawns.

The hardest part about communicating with many of you is the fact that we all come from such different areas. Some of you live in cities of over 1,000,000 people, while others live in towns of 5,000 people. Some areas are very wealthy, while others are not. So while a $15 lawn may work for some, it may not work for all.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess it could work in a small area

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
By the sounds of the ad, it looks like he isn't a "legit" company. Sounds more like a person out to make a few bucks on sunday.

There can be money made charging $15. But there are a lot of limitations. Travel times, equipment used, route territory are the basics, as well as your location. Then there are ways to market it. Based off the pictures in the ad, I would charge more than $15 for those lawns.

The hardest part about communicating with many of you is the fact that we all come from such different areas. Some of you live in cities of over 1,000,000 people, while others live in towns of 5,000 people. Some areas are very wealthy, while others are not. So while a $15 lawn may work for some, it may not work for all.
You'd still have to consider the time to load/unload your equipment. Not as much time for me, just using a 21" mower, but the driving time would be the biggest killer to me. I do live in a city with over 1 million, and it seems very spread out. I suppose if you lived in a smaller town you would not have to drive near as far. I guess he wouldn't be advertising today only if he did it full time.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 06-29-2014, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Could be a marketing gimmick too but I'd say it's someone looking to make some spending cash.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think its funny that all the pics appear to be backyards! To each his own! I would be weary of considering this person "competition".
Old 06-29-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

good observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx62003 View Post
I think its funny that all the pics appear to be backyards! To each his own! I would be weary of considering this person "competition".
It looked like that to me also, but I forgot to mention it. Especially the one that looks like a back fence. I was thinking "I wouldn't do that for $15!", but it doesn't even look like a front lawn. Yeah, after a look through, I didn't see too many CL ads that looked very professional, as in having any graphics. There were some good lawn pictures, but I noticed those ads didn't have any pricing. I still need a logo myself. I'm considering running a CL ad since it's free. I'm not sure if I should put a minimum price.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT

Last edited by LawnMowerMan2003; 06-29-2014 at 09:49 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

These ads just Crack me up... Stupid people that have no business sense at all!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I'll learn how not to make my ad lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360lawncare View Post
These ads just Crack me up... Stupid people that have no business sense at all!
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd like to start making CL ads, and at least try them out. I did get a few customers in the past, but if ends up being a bunch of overgrown lawns I'm probably going to quit advertising on it.

Maybe these people are showing me how not to make an ad. I've seen some people put $25 $30 minimums, which is reasonable but considering the lawns may not be close to me, I really wouldn't want to make only $30.

I know opinions differ, but if I'm not trying to compete with lowballers should I still put a minimum?

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 06-30-2014, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't list a minimum on my Craigslist ads but there's not much harm in it. You get to avoid the cheapies. May lose 1 or 2 worthwhile leads from it but as free advertising you're not losing anything in the deal.

I think its a great resource to use. I had really good luck with ads placed on Craigslist but even with no luck or very little the price is worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2014, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well there's only 2 problems I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
I don't list a minimum on my Craigslist ads but there's not much harm in it. You get to avoid the cheapies. May lose 1 or 2 worthwhile leads from it but as free advertising you're not losing anything in the deal.

I think its a great resource to use. I had really good luck with ads placed on Craigslist but even with no luck or very little the price is worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you get a lot of cheap people, then you might waste more time and fuel doing estimates, which brings me to the second, driving more to get to customers, but I guess that is better than not having enough work.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT