Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2014, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good or bad idea to get in the business

So i'm 16. A college is a few years away. I currently cut 12 properties weekly. Equipment is in signature. I'm considering going to college and when i get out, start a big landscape/mowing service. I want to hear from the guys who have big companies if this is a good or bad thing to get in to. I don't exactly want a desk job, and i don't want to cut grass my whole life but i would have no problem managing a business with multiple crews and such. I know landscaping can really bring in some money if done correctly. I just want some advice for going in to this field. I like cutting grass and would love to get in to landscaping and things like that, but a solo guy i find that a little more difficult. And i don't want to grow too much too fast because i am still in high school. I've herd working for a larger company for a couple years will help a lot. Now i realize the first couple years I might only gross 30-40k. but eventually 6-8 years from now, i would like to have a big company and do that. This would be a full time business after college if I decide to go this route.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It takes time and a lot of luck to grow a large business, not to mention time. Most of us full-timers work 100 hour weeks in the Spring, I tend to cut back to 70-80 hours in the Summer.

It all depends on what your local demographic is and how may LCO's are already in your surrounding counties.

There have been 200+ LCO's in my county for many years, but this year I have already seen 50+ new guys/kids driving around. Mowers hanging out of the trunks of cars, minivans and small suvs pulling home depot trailers, etc. Most of them won't last the season.

My advice would be to plan on this being a side job or your retirement plan. Once you get another job after college you could have a one or two man crew run your accounts.

Michael

p.s. unless you plan on buying a 60" ztr within the next two seasons, just get the 5x10 trailer. I started out with a 5x10 Carry-on but grew out of it within a year but that was after high school. You should focus on small yards for the next few years before purchasing big mowers.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 04-30-2014, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

my advise , if college is in the future and you have already got the landscaping in your blood. go for landscape architecture and get a job with the town or city. 9-5 with paid days off and retirement. im 33 ben doing this scence im 12 . you wont have the energy you have now forever trust me
Old 04-30-2014, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any business can be made successful if run the right way. With hard work its all possible. I would go to college and take business courses. Without business knowledge you would struggle running a company grossing +$700k. Im not saying business courses are a must, for some people business just comes natural and they can pick up quick on how to run things and for others its like rocket science.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2014, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
Any business can be made successful if run the right way. With hard work its all possible. I would go to college and take business courses. Without business knowledge you would struggle running a company grossing +$700k. Im not saying business courses are a must, for some people business just comes natural and they can pick up quick on how to run things and for others its like rocket science.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good advice
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2014, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

If you're business minded anything is a good path. The landscape industry has a good share of variables that make growth a pain. We don't have the best workforce to pull from, weather, equipment costs continuing to raise, insane competition, and ease of entry into the industry means lower prices. If you decide to stick with the lawn/landscape industry, plan to go big because as said above your body doesn't last forever. There's a lot of struggles in this industry but you can make money, it just comes down to how much do you want to make and how hard do you want to work towards that goal? College will be good no matter what though, you'll have options at least.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
So i'm 16. A college is a few years away. I currently cut 12 properties weekly. Equipment is in signature. I'm considering going to college and when i get out, start a big landscape/mowing service. I want to hear from the guys who have big companies if this is a good or bad thing to get in to. I don't exactly want a desk job, and i don't want to cut grass my whole life but i would have no problem managing a business with multiple crews and such. I know landscaping can really bring in some money if done correctly. I just want some advice for going in to this field. I like cutting grass and would love to get in to landscaping and things like that, but a solo guy i find that a little more difficult. And i don't want to grow too much too fast because i am still in high school. I've herd working for a larger company for a couple years will help a lot. Now i realize the first couple years I might only gross 30-40k. but eventually 6-8 years from now, i would like to have a big company and do that. This would be a full time business after college if I decide to go this route.
Owning a business in this industry is great.

How are you planning on starting this "big landscape/mowing service"? How much capital are you planning on investing in your "big" company?

Building a successful business takes a lot of effort, time, money and knowledge.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
Owning a business in this industry is great.

How are you planning on starting this "big landscape/mowing service"? How much capital are you planning on investing in your "big" company?

Building a successful business takes a lot of effort, time, money and knowledge.
Well i haven't put a ton of thought in to all the details quite yet, for now, I'm focusing on school work for the next month until school gets out. Once school gets out then i will start doing more thought on this particular subject. I love doing it, and reading everything on this forum that has to do with it. I'm good with working at my hands as well.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's a great idea to get into the business. I can't think of another industry that gives you as much freedom wih the ability to make good to great money. I personally not only mowing, but running a business as well. If I would have gotten serious about lawn care at 16 and never joined the military, if probably be netting my self fifty grand a year with weekends off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2014, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much time can you put into the business if your planning on going to college full-time? You'll be spending more time per week full time at college then you are now at high school. It takes forever to get a degree part-time, 3-4 years for an Associate's and 6+ years for a Bachelor's.

In case your high school hasn't told you yet, the majority of college students are now starting to take 5 years to complete a Bachelor's. If you take a couple Winter or Summer classes you could definitely do it in 4, but being a landscaper that isn't possible.

Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN

Tags
business , full , landscape , time