Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2014, 06:55 AM
Sponsor

Contact score.org and set up an appointment with your parents to meet with a councilor. See if you can apply for a mentoring program where you can have more one on one contact to help you work towards your specific goals. There is no cost for this service. I believe you will need to have a actual plan moving forward.
Score can help you going forward.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-01-2014, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why college? You don't need to go to college.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Why college? You don't need to go to college.
Why college?

How about the guy I know that is still doing lawns for $25 for the last twelve years. Afraid to raise his prices. Because of his lack of knowledge and only knows how to sell using a low price.

Knowing how to aerate is not the same as knowing how to sell aerating. That it does more then uncompacting the soil. Being able to point out all the reasons to aerate to the customer is what closes many sales. Same for other services that Landscapers provide.

That it is better to learn as much background knowledge before you start a business then learning by trail an error in front of the customer. It is far better to be professional then attempting to learn how in front of the customer.

I would tell every teenager that wants to have a Landscape business to run their side business while in school and save his money. Go to a two year college and get a Landscaping degree, if not a 4 year program.

Then when he graduates he will at least already have the truck, trailer, and enough equipment and money to go along with his knowlege and experinece to start out on his own.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My advice, go in to business for yourself. But in a different industry. I started My company 6 years ago. We grossed $246,xxx

This year on track for 300k. But let me tell you something. It's hard. The first two years I paid myself next to nothing. Wife had a good job. Is it great now? Hell yeah. I don't work too hard. Have some fun. Was it all aworth it? Honestly- no. Many guys on here don't know what they actually make. My salary this year is set at $51,000.

My wife, has a bachelors degree. Her starting salary was 45k. Two years later she's at 55k. She goes in at 6:30 and is off at 2:30

You're better off trying your hand at something with a little higher margins.
If you do stay in:
Pay yourself a wage while working. Clock in/out. $13/hr. don't take any more money out. I'll get back to you tonight and finish this post up.

PS 300k is not very much. I know. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree for the most part with all comments here. You have an established client list so far. you are 16 you said and already have a great outlook on life and plan to go to college. DO NOT PUT THAT OFF. Go to school. Get your degree. It will only help you in the long run. As stated prior, LAndscape architecture and small business classes will only benefit you if you plan to open a large scale business after school. Have you though about keeping the clients you have now while at school, I know it may not be as prosperous but you could hire someone to maintain them while you go to school if you do not have the time. This would still keep those clients who in this industry i have found can be hard to come buy. It keeps your name out there and keeps building an existing business. Dont set goals out of reach but also do not under estimate yourself. All things can be achieved if you try try and try again.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

College is a scam and a complete waste of time for the overwhelming majority of people who go nowadays.

And lol @ college teaching you how to "sell aerating." Make the nonsense stop.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-10-2014, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
College is a scam and a complete waste of time for the overwhelming majority of people who go nowadays.

And lol @ college teaching you how to "sell aerating." Make the nonsense stop.
What about someone who wants to be a CPA, or an electrical engineer? Or a pediatrician ? Attorney?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
What about someone who wants to be a CPA, or an electrical engineer? Or a pediatrician ? Attorney?
Posted via Mobile Device
Do we need to point of the obvious? No, we don't.

If you don't realize that college is a complete scam then you're not very educated yourself.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-10-2014, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It may be a "scam" but with all the careers requiring degrees now people aren't going to have a choice

Almost any government job that is worth it is requiring a degree. Most private jobs are too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Associates is the new high school diploma.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
business , full , landscape , time