Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Wearing through bagger assist on my Gravely Pro Turn 460

Has anyone else had any issues with this? Last fall during cleanups I wore a hole through the outside of the bagger assist (in the sheet metal that surrounds the impeller). So my dealer ordered me a new one. We thought it was a fluke but it just happened again, two weeks into spring clean ups... only about 50hrs on the machine since the last one. I am in an area wear there is sandy soil so I am sure the sand has something to do with it. We are good about picking up sticks and not mowing over rocks but it should be able to handle some occasionally.
If anyone has had this same issue, have you figured out a solution? I love the 460 and it is built like a tank, but I would think the bagger assist should be built the same.
Please dont take this like I am knocking Gravely because I am not, I am a big Gravely fan. I just want a solution so this does not happen again.
Note - I am the only one who uses this mower so I know it is not being abused.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik1981 View Post
Has anyone else had any issues with this? Last fall during cleanups I wore a hole through the outside of the bagger assist (in the sheet metal that surrounds the impeller). So my dealer ordered me a new one. We thought it was a fluke but it just happened again, two weeks into spring clean ups... only about 50hrs on the machine since the last one. I am in an area wear there is sandy soil so I am sure the sand has something to do with it. We are good about picking up sticks and not mowing over rocks but it should be able to handle some occasionally.
If anyone has had this same issue, have you figured out a solution? I love the 460 and it is built like a tank, but I would think the bagger assist should be built the same.
Please dont take this like I am knocking Gravely because I am not, I am a big Gravely fan. I just want a solution so this does not happen again.
Note - I am the only one who uses this mower so I know it is not being abused.
This does not appear as a wear point, but as if something was propelled against the metal cover ripping it open. I'm not positive from the photo, but it appears the metal this shield is constructed of could be of heavier quality. A wear point is something you would notice taking place over time.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow that doesnt look good. I dont use my bagger much besides clean up. That is the new style blower like mine. Hope its not a common thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you've never seen sand eat through a mower deck that's exactly what it looks like. With all the sand down here we are constantly patching and replacing decks.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Wow that doesnt look good. I dont use my bagger much besides clean up. That is the new style blower like mine. Hope its not a common thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I only use mine for clean ups as well. I was hoping you might have a little insight on this. I am always reading your posts about Gravely. In fact I just adjusted my baffles as you had advised in another post the other day. Made a big difference.

I do think it is wearing the sheet metal thin. When I take the cover off it then is noticeable wearing on the interior or the metal. My dealer is talking to their rep to see if there is anything they can do since this is the 2nd one this has happened to in the last 50hrs on the machine. Hopefully I don't have to pay for another one...
Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik1981 View Post
Yeah, I only use mine for clean ups as well. I was hoping you might have a little insight on this. I am always reading your posts about Gravely. In fact I just adjusted my baffles as you had advised in another post the other day. Made a big difference.

I do think it is wearing the sheet metal thin. When I take the cover off it then is noticeable wearing on the interior or the metal. My dealer is talking to their rep to see if there is anything they can do since this is the 2nd one this has happened to in the last 50hrs on the machine. Hopefully I don't have to pay for another one...
May be metal from China, the claim is it's of much lower quality. This is very strange if this is a wear pattern in 50 hrs...well not really, the only thing it can be if wearing this quickly is inferior metal, and/or metal that is too thin for the application.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sand will wear metal out a lot faster than anything else. However, that definitely does not look like any sand wear that I have ever seen. That metal is torn. sand will not blast the metal outward like that in a curled edge.

Even though you may be trying your best to be careful, I would bet quite a bit of money that you picked up a rock or thick, short piece of wood that got wedged in between the impeller and the housing and it ripped it like that. The bulging of the metal after the rip is also another indicator of something getting caught. In fact, it looks nearly identical to a bush hog that has had rocks and/or branches caught up by the blades leaving the same exact look to the top side of the deck.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I assure you sand will "blast" the metal out just like that. Patched enough sand worn decks to know.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe, especially some of the course FLA sand, but I've seen and repaired quite decks a few myself, and I've never seen sand do that here in the north. I lived in Orlando for several years, so I know what the sand is like down there. I am still betting on a rock or chunk of wood getting wedged and ripping it, especially here in the north.

A good view all the way around the inside of the metal would be interesting.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've had them wear a half circle around the cutter housing before (half a blade length out all the way around right where the sail is), the metal gets so thin it just opens up and peels back like an aluminum can, looks identical to what's pictured.

Tags
460 , bagger , clean-up , gravely , spring