Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Maybe, especially some of the course FLA sand, but I've seen and repaired quite decks a few myself, and I've never seen sand do that here in the north. I lived in Orlando for several years, so I know what the sand is like down there. I am still betting on a rock or chunk of wood getting wedged and ripping it, especially here in the north.
Most of the sand that we have here is pretty course, depending on which which lake we are working on. There are a few lakes that have very fine sand. But this time of year we are also dealing with a lot of sand that was applied to the streets over the winter and found its way onto the edges of the yards thanks to the plows.
Also I am not saying something didn't get caught in the impeller, it could have happened but there is definitely significant thinning of the metal on the inside, otherwise I don't think what ever it was , would have gone through the sidewall.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are dealing with a lot of lake sand (and road and as well), that with a combination of thinner metal of possibly inferior tempering could sure cause that issue. Gravely makes some great stuff, reads here, and cares about their customers, so I'm sure they will see this and take note. Maybe they will go to a heavier gauge metal for the blower housing in the future. That doesn't do you any good now I realize. I hope you can get it sorted to your satisfaction.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Funny thing is Gravely does a ton of testing in Florida. I have no doubt you will be taken care of.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wonder if they test their bagging setups here also? Bagging isn't common at all down here, come to think of it I've never seen a bagging attachment on any commercial mower down here. Also the more inland you get the less sand there is. When I lived around the Ocala area there wasn't hardly any sand, where I'm at now that's all we got, thankfully I only take on irrigated lawns with decent grass so that helps some.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I have no doubt you will be taken care of.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am sure you are right
Old 05-01-2014, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Say it is a problem caused by sand, I think we will all agree, it should never happen within a 50 hr. time span, that is unless the metal is of extremely thin and/or possibly poor quality. This is something Gravely will want an extensive analysis of I feel assured. A good poly liner equivalent to the strength of what is used under the skid-plate of a combine would eliminate this problem for an extremely long time.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Say it is a problem caused by sand, I think we will all agree, it should never happen within a 50 hr. time span, that is unless the metal is of extremely thin and/or possibly poor quality. This is something Gravely will want an extensive analysis of I feel assured. A good poly liner equivalent to the strength of what is used under the skid-plate of a combine would eliminate this problem for an extremely long time.
I think a good strong liner would do wonders to increase the life span. If they keep wearing thru every 50hrs, its gonna get pretty expensive.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Completely agree, and the liner is an excellent idea.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I was contacted by Gravely today! I am hoping they can help me out somehow, hopefully with a new bagger assist but more importantly a solution so it does not happen again.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik1981 View Post
I was contacted by Gravely today! I am hoping they can help me out somehow, hopefully with a new bagger assist but more importantly a solution so it does not happen again.
Please keep us informed, I feel assured Gravely will take care of you...

Tags
460 , bagger , clean-up , gravely , spring