Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"When it rains it pours." Literally!

"Murphy's Law." Of course!

The universe is cruel this way but take solace in the fact that it does happen to every inhabitant of this earth.

We just happen to be business owners working in conditions controlled by Him.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i bent a mower blade on the pushmower and went and got a brand new one and the very next time I used it within 1 minute I bent the new blade so I had to go buy another new one again.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Welcome to my life.

You just need to add employees to the mix.
Funny that you mention that. I've had two customers ask me this week if I plan to hire any employees. My usual answer is NO. I'd rather do 60 lawns by myself then 120 with an employee. Just my personal preference. One day I might run some crews, but that's when my body can't take it anymore and is calling for a break. Next year or in the future years, I think I could be efficient one other crew member aside from myself. I love working by myself, but at times I think about how nice and efficient it would be to have me or another guy to jump out with the trimmer then another mowing behind. As of right now I'm happy being solo, but I think that might be my next step. I don't want any crews until my body is hollering for a crew.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I feel kinda like you.

to me having help means less work but more problems.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying having 10 crews while you sit in the office isn't the way to go. But when your out in the field working, I couldn't be happier working by myself. I think I would actually do good with one side man, but I wouldn't want anything bigger when working in the field. One day, and I say one day, when my body can't take it, I'll be the one sitting in the office, running crews.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i bent a mower blade on the pushmower and went and got a brand new one and the very next time I used it within 1 minute I bent the new blade so I had to go buy another new one again.
Tell us did you start right back on the lawn where you bent the first blade?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I shouldn't have read this thread. Now I'm feeling paranoid something bad is due.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm unfortunately feeling like crap this am. We've been needing rain for weeks. Everything is like hay fields around here. The weather calls for a heavy rain finally today. Now I'm watching the radar and the rain is surrounding us, and we just happen to be right in the gap or dry spot of a huge rain storm. How crappy is that. Someone pray for some rain for Central Texas!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I stayed in to catch up on paper work this morning because the weather shows we're about to get hammered with rain. Waited an hour or two to see what the rains going to do and got caught up on my paper work. Still bone dry and the sun started to come out. Made the call to load up because the rain wasn't showing up. As soon as I load up it starts pouring! What gives? At least we needed the rain! Now I get to go do some brush and tree trimming in the rain! Sounds like a fun day!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
Same thing here. Just about every time I buy a new set of blades, I hit something that knocks some big chunks out of them. Sometimes on the first day!