Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2014, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We are just now getting some decent rain....much needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My Area has been pretty wet this spring. But about a week or so ago, the rain stopped and the temperature jumped up into the mid 90's with wind. It didn't take long for every thing to dry out. I had to skip a few treatments because the lawns were so dry. I have a few Snowbirds who turned off their irrigation before leaving because we had such a wet spring.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why I want controllers linked to rain sensors. One week it can be flash floods every day, then next sun and almost 90 degrees outside. The greatest hazard is people who shut everything down for a long time just because of a wind driven drizzle that does not even wet the ground.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-29-2014, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Why I want controllers linked to rain sensors. One week it can be flash floods every day, then next sun and almost 90 degrees outside. The greatest hazard is people who shut everything down for a long time just because of a wind driven drizzle that does not even wet the ground.
While Rain Sensors are cheap and easy to install, They are not always effective if the Irrigation controller isn't set up correctly.

Most people just set each zone for 20 minutes year round. Winter in my year round Growing season doesn't necessarily need that much water with shorter days and Colder temperatures. Come Spring's longer, Hotter, windier days and the Irrigation needs to run double or triple the 20 minutes. Now add in the fact my area has Sandy soil with no Field Capacity and it doesn't take long to drain all the water from the soil in 80 degree Humidity. Therefore even with the Irrigation turned on, the Grass can fry.

BTW Because City water is Liquid Gold, I live where I can have a well. However my well water is so hard I had to install a RO system.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 05-29-2014, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Then you use the next generation weather sensor such as the Hunter Solar Sync. This adjust watering upwards in response to hot weather or down in cold weather, as well as providing rain shut down. I trust people inside of an irrigation controller if they understand ET and inches of water per week. Otherwise no. Someone talking to me about minutes turns me off just like asking how much spray concentrate per gallon.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-30-2014, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Late last week and this week have been a challenge to the lawns. More typical of what I expected to see the last month or so.
You can see any and every flaw in a irrigation system right now as well as tell who follows watering instructions and who does not.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Then you use the next generation weather sensor such as the Hunter Solar Sync. This adjust watering upwards in response to hot weather or down in cold weather, as well as providing rain shut down. I trust people inside of an irrigation controller if they understand ET and inches of water per week. Otherwise no. Someone talking to me about minutes turns me off just like asking how much spray concentrate per gallon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Late last week and this week have been a challenge to the lawns. More typical of what I expected to see the last month or so.
You can see any and every flaw in a irrigation system right now as well as tell who follows watering instructions and who does not.

Mikey makes a good point in the fact it is hard enough to keep a standard irrigation system adjusted. Every Lawn jockey runs over the nozzles. If they do clean them, it is with a powder cutter that spins the Nozzle when the cutter get the least worn. S W Fla. near the Gulf Coast is nothing but Sand with plenty of Hot spots that won't hold water while being irrigated.

24,154 gallons of water will cover one acre one inch deep. In some areas Golf Courses are only allotted so many "Acre Inches" per year for irrigation. Yes we should measure irrigation in inches. However tell a home owner how to adjust their irrigation is like talking to a wall. After talking yourself Blue they will still ask HOW MANY MINUTES?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Then you notice how many systems are running during a downpour, shooting water 10ft up from snapped heads or aiming into the street.
Posted via Mobile Device