Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mike View Post
A lot of lawns #1 problem is #2. People are lazy and he provides a legitmate service. Instead of knocking the guy , perhaps a few of you could add this to your lawn service as well? I charge for it
I have one client that I have added on for this. Was a $75 lawn now it makes it an $85 lawn.

Just did an estimate today for full service lawn maintenance and they moved here from out of state. They paid $10 a week and the service provider had 700 clients.

These threads pop up from time to time and I don't understand the resistance to adding it on as a service...?...?

Much rather pick up a few piles as an add-on service for $10 for a good client than be snooty about it and impose a cleanup fee.

Much rather hunt for poop outdoors in any weather vs being stuck indoors being a janitor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would rather get paid to pick it up rather than picking it up on my feet or wheels for free. I have often thought of adding this service as I stomp my way thru pile land. I think it's a perfect add-on

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 05-06-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
I would rather get paid to pick it up rather than picking it up on my feet or wheels for free. I have often thought of adding this service as I stomp my way thru pile land. I think it's a perfect add-on
The folks inclined to pay for poop patrol are probably the same kind you want as clients for lawns. It simply means folks would rather not deal with it and willing to pay for it and have the means to part with the extra $ to NOT deal with it. Can't say I'd want to do poop patrol only separate from lawn maintenance. Absolute market density would be a must. Snow covered poop is a horrendous hassle fest mess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2014, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
The folks inclined to pay for poop patrol are probably the same kind you want as clients for lawns. It simply means folks would rather not deal with it and willing to pay for it and have the means to part with the extra $ to NOT deal with it. Can't say I'd want to do poop patrol only separate from lawn maintenance. Absolute market density would be a must. Snow covered poop is a horrendous hassle fest mess.
Posted via Mobile Device
if I decide to add it I would only do it for customers. Thinking of winter is what holds me back-it's my lazy time and I don't know if I am willing to give it up

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 05-07-2014, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cli99 View Post
Wait I'm confused . Do you guys pick up dog crap? What are the prices? I saw something like this in my area, except it was a rip off.
Yes! We pick up dog crap and only dog crap. We charge as low as $11.95 per visit for a small townhouse yard with one dog or up to $24.95/visit+ for a dog boarder with a large lawn. Typical house with two dogs and 1/2 acre lawn is $15.95 per visit.

We do charge a one-time/initial visit fee which I assess through a phone consult. I've charged anywhere from $19.95 to $99.95. I bring the shovel to these visits, because... ya never know!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
My customers fit into one or many of the following categories:

- Health Issue: bad backs, recovering from surgery, elderly
- Dog Boarders: 5-15 dogs at a time. unable to keep up.
- Too busy: People working 16 hours a day. Full time student with a full time job.

Yes, many customers could do the work, like they could mow their own lawns but prefer the convenience and security of having a reliable professional on the task.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Domestic View Post
My customers fit into one or many of the following categories:

- Health Issue: bad backs, recovering from surgery, elderly
- Dog Boarders: 5-15 dogs at a time. unable to keep up.
- Too busy: People working 16 hours a day. Full time student with a full time job.

Yes, many customers could do the work, like they could mow their own lawns but prefer the convenience and security of having a reliable professional on the task.
...and some people are just to good to pick up do doo. That's fine , because you fill the void.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've often thought about adding this to my services...very professional website and hope you're having a good season. Tell us a bit more about your business, how many customers, employees, etc...?
26in Exmark Metro
Honda Push Mowers
Stihl Trimmers
BR-600 Blowers

O-H-...
Not my President
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is a booming industry. Anyone that mocks it is an idiot, it's a fantastic service.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't believe alot of you guys haven't added this service yet! I've told customers before that if I have to pick it up its going to cost them more than they want to pay ,only if its a constant thing though. If it happens once or twice okay, but you all probably have customers where you're constantly dealing with it. Give them a warning of the cost and if it happens again they pay. Most people understand and the ones that don't are always problem customers anyway who expect something for nothing.

Tags
dogs , pooper scooper , stripes