Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-08-2014, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I cam pass out 1500 by lunch through vehicle. keep plugging away it works
Old 05-09-2014, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think flyers are a great way to start. I started my business back up from nothing this year and walked around and put out about 2200. I now have 24 regular lawn customers from that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you use your vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
I cam pass out 1500 by lunch through vehicle. keep plugging away it works
Wouldn't you have to throw your flyers out the window to do that? lol

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 05-14-2014, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I printed 200 more flyers and hit 2 more neighborhoods. Nobody has called me yet from those 2 (I know, I need to pass out more) but in one neighborhood I saw a guy trying to fix his mower so I stopped to give him my flyer and he asked me for an estimate, and I got the job.

Then yesterday, a real estate agent called me because I left a flyer on one of his properties, and I ended up mowing 2 lawns that were in the same area for him. I'm hoping to get more business from him.

I might be mowing a little too cheap in this neighborhood. I wrote $35 estimates on the flyers for small lawns. It takes me an hour to finish them, so I really should be making more; I'm not sure how much more exactly though.
It's a little early to say, but it looks like I've had better results with the lower income neighborhood.

On the other hand, I do have a $50 lawn that probably takes close to an hour, in a nicer neighborhood. I forgot to time how long the mowing and trimming took, and I trimmed the ground cover the first time, so I have to wait and see next time I mow it. Maybe I should target both types of neighborhoods so I can get work quickly, but still have some lawns that pay more. I'll update my results again soon.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 05-14-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
no i wouldn't. lol
Old 05-14-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

^^^ Whew! For a second I thought we were going to hear about the "brilliant" idea of putting a flyer in a baggie with a rock and throwing it out the window onto driveways as you drive by!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
^^^ Whew! For a second I thought we were going to hear about the "brilliant" idea of putting a flyer in a baggie with a rock and throwing it out the window onto driveways as you drive by!
A guy did that in my grandmas neighborhood where i already maintain 6 properties. I got the vibe that it was lazy advertising, yes quick but lazy. I appreciate someone who has the effort to go door to door, i do it(i have friends help sometimes) And put a hanger on it, i think it's more professional and looks good to people ion the neighborhood.

Goal is at least 30 regular mowing accounts for 2015!
2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Old 05-15-2014, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I printed 200 more flyers and hit 2 more neighborhoods. Nobody has called me yet from those 2 (I know, I need to pass out more) but in one neighborhood I saw a guy trying to fix his mower so I stopped to give him my flyer and he asked me for an estimate, and I got the job.

Then yesterday, a real estate agent called me because I left a flyer on one of his properties, and I ended up mowing 2 lawns that were in the same area for him. I'm hoping to get more business from him.

I might be mowing a little too cheap in this neighborhood. I wrote $35 estimates on the flyers for small lawns. It takes me an hour to finish them, so I really should be making more; I'm not sure how much more exactly though.
It's a little early to say, but it looks like I've had better results with the lower income neighborhood.

On the other hand, I do have a $50 lawn that probably takes close to an hour, in a nicer neighborhood. I forgot to time how long the mowing and trimming took, and I trimmed the ground cover the first time, so I have to wait and see next time I mow it. Maybe I should target both types of neighborhoods so I can get work quickly, but still have some lawns that pay more. I'll update my results again soon.
You need to charge more. $35 for an hour of mowing...after expenses....you'd be shocked at what you actually made an hour. And this $1 a minute theory everyone talks about? Don't follow that theory.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am almost 11years in I put a few ads out the other day due to wanting to start expanding down here it is a good way to get around owner of tire/oil change shop good friend of mine got some there, the supermarkets, and gas stations. No matter the age of business it is always a helpful way to bring on more residential clients when looking to expand, our towns are very small 1 red light towns. Pick and choose get rid of the fruit loops and keep the good ones.

We do not Advertise on vehicle (which I plan on getting a stainless or aluminum drop gate sign made up soon) my printer guy moved out last year, we have just gained many customers over the years of people stopping at our jobs wanting us to come do theirs next or neighbors of customers, even landscape companies I have never heard of or met anyone from refer us.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 05-15-2014, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Its an art. I will start at 4 a.m. on sat. and be home by lunch to spend the rest of the day with the family. ill get 1500 out