Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2014, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
^^^ Whew! For a second I thought we were going to hear about the "brilliant" idea of putting a flyer in a baggie with a rock and throwing it out the window onto driveways as you drive by!
Ive never done it but pretty much the top dog in atl. bought 3 pt cruisers just for that and they do thousands a day during sales season. the company is at the top around here.....
Old 05-17-2014, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how a vehicle would help if you have to put them on the door. I don't really see another option in my area, since you're not supposed to put them on mailboxes. The best thing I can think of to speed it up is maybe some roller blades. I might look kind of funny rollerblading, but I don't care, if helps me get flyers out quicker, I'm getting paid to wear skates.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 05-19-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Since you got the flyers might as well hand them out. Good tip about the season drying up.

One thing you could try is hitting the same houses a few weeks later. That way they "see" you again.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I passed out more flyers; I felt like I was slacking off on them so I'm trying to do more. I passed out 200 yesterday and about 100 today. I was going to do another 200, but I got a call for a job before I finished. I think I finally hit 1000 today. I had 4 calls today, and 2 were from the 100 that I just passed out. So it still looks like I'm getting more than a 1% response rate. I know I might be doing work too cheap, but if I have hardly any work I can't really estimate my expenses. If I start making some sort of regular average income, then I can sit down and see how much I'm really making, and if it's not enough I'll go up on my estimates.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 05-20-2014, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
I don't know how a vehicle would help if you have to put them on the door. I don't really see another option in my area, since you're not supposed to put them on mailboxes. The best thing I can think of to speed it up is maybe some roller blades. I might look kind of funny rollerblading, but I don't care, if helps me get flyers out quicker, I'm getting paid to wear skates.
I wouldn't recommend going around putting them on peoples cars lol you're in TX and sort of like Alabama someone see's you near their car touching it you will be starring down a barrel.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
05' Gravely 148z 1700+ hours 21 hp Kawi
Echo Trimmers
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Alabama Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=108
John Deere Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=109

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 05-22-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No, I put them on the door

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
I wouldn't recommend going around putting them on peoples cars lol you're in TX and sort of like Alabama someone see's you near their car touching it you will be starring down a barrel.
I don't put them on cars because I tried that before and parking lot security saw me and told me I had to remove them. And I like to leave an estimate, based on the size of the neighborhood lawn. And I agree, it might be considered bad taste to be touching another person's vehicle. And considering I live in Texas, I may not want to put flyers on vehicle for the same reason I don't go looking in people's back yards.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 05-22-2014, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
I passed out more flyers; I felt like I was slacking off on them so I'm trying to do more. I passed out 200 yesterday and about 100 today. I was going to do another 200, but I got a call for a job before I finished. I think I finally hit 1000 today. I had 4 calls today, and 2 were from the 100 that I just passed out. So it still looks like I'm getting more than a 1% response rate. I know I might be doing work too cheap, but if I have hardly any work I can't really estimate my expenses. If I start making some sort of regular average income, then I can sit down and see how much I'm really making, and if it's not enough I'll go up on my estimates.
man 200 a day is nothing. if you're going to take the time to do by hand and not eden pass out 1500. you will see results. wake up at 2 a.m. pass them out and be done by lunch to spend the rest of the day with your family
Old 06-08-2014, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know I could do more

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
man 200 a day is nothing. if you're going to take the time to do by hand and not eden pass out 1500. you will see results. wake up at 2 a.m. pass them out and be done by lunch to spend the rest of the day with your family
I don't think passing out flyers at 2am would be a good idea in the city. Especially since I have to walk up to the door. People would automatically be suspicious of somebody walking up to their house at that time, if they happened to be awake, not to mention some people's dogs might wake them up.

But you're right. I need to try to do more.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 06-14-2014, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I passed out another 100-200, after we had already had rain, and it rained the day I passed them out. I could see a lot of lawns that needed mowing. I raised my estimates a little, to $45 and up. So far I haven't had any calls. I know I need to pass out more flyers, maybe this weekend, but I have been getting over 2% average response rate (with the exception of the neighborhood with garden homes). So now I'm wondering if my price was a little high. I know there is another thread on pricing, but in theory, you could use the flyers to determine the pricing. In my case, I think if the response rate is less than 1% I might be a little high. Anyway, it's something I have to consider here because I put estimates on my flyers.

I think next time I may do (for small lawn, because if it's overgrown at all I add more) half for $40 and half $45 and see how many people call me for $40 and $45.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 06-15-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So today I thought I was finally going to pass out 400, and I looked at some neighborhoods on the map. I did about 100 and then I had just left one on a door when a lady opened it. I told her I was passing out my flyers and I noticed she looked like she was actually reading it. She asked me for an estimate and I ended up getting a pretty big job (she has a bunch of hedges). She wants me to come back every 2 weeks also. I think I underbid it, but right now I don't even care. I'm not raising the price until I mow it and do hedges a couple of more times at least, but the first time was horrible. That lawn took 5 hours, and then another customer called me and asked if I could do his lawn today also.

Tomorrow I have 3 lawns, so maybe I'll get some more flyers in. I found a really long street the other day with small lawns. I think I could do 200 just on that street.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT