Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

How would you price this mulch install

Hey all,
I have planned what is really my FIRST ever mulch install. The lady has a lot of mulch beds. I am dividing it into phases where one day I will come in and cut back her pampas grass, clear the dead debris and leaves from the bed and get the yard prepped for mulch. I am just able to drive this year but this yard is going to take way too much mulch for me to deliver in bags. I am planing to have about 10-15 yards of mulch dumped on the street I front of her house (she lives in a col de sac). This is the next phase in which I will spread everything. How would you price this? I told her to email me the price a company charged her last year and I will go a bit cheaper. She was not happy with the company as they pulled up some of her flowers. She is very layed back and said "I don't care if it takes you two weeks to complete":
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2014, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't have the mulch dumped on the street. That could get you into a pinch. If you aren't planning on doing it all in one day, you will have to move the mulch onto her property...or the cops may tell you to do so. I would charge her by the yard of mulch you install. Then your rate for trimming bushes and whatever else you are doing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, I will most likely need it dumped on her driveway.
Primary- 36 inch Gravely Pro 1336
Backup -2000 32 Toro Proline
John Deere 21
Stihl Kombi 110
Echo PB-770T
Old 04-11-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

so you don't really know how much mulch this job takes yet and your willing to go lower than the last guy? Why do you need to go lower? I hope it does not rain while the mulch is sitting in the driveway it could stain it up. This lady is pretty laid back but didn't like the guy she had last year??
Old 04-11-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A97,
A cu.yd. of mulch cover 100 sq.ft. at 3" generally.
300 sq.ft. at 1"
Your estimations should cover around 3-4 K of beds at 1" of depth. That is a lot if you don't elaborate on your thickness.
You need to know how fast you can install a yard of mulch. My experience is 1 yd. per hour and this is humping it and a short travel distance. With two men, the time should be 2 yds per hour.
A solid day for installation and cleanup should be considered.
Solo: doing this for the first time should take a day and a half with great weather.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
My experience is 1 yd. per hour and this is humping it and a short travel distance. With two men, the time should be 2 yds per hour.
Humping the mulch??? No wonder you only get a yd an hr spread
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

dude just own that sh*t 15 yards - with 2 men should be an early day. I'm clear worn out an I can still do 10 a day by myself with edging
Old 04-11-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Laying mulch goes as fast as you can move. Bed prep is where you're time gets ate. As well as crowded/delicate flowers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I have decide we need about 5 yards of mulch possibly a bit more. I quoted her at $450 for everything
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA97 View Post
Hey all,
I have planned what is really my FIRST ever mulch install. The lady has a lot of mulch beds. I am dividing it into phases where one day I will come in and cut back her pampas grass, clear the dead debris and leaves from the bed and get the yard prepped for mulch. I am just able to drive this year but this yard is going to take way too much mulch for me to deliver in bags. I am planing to have about 10-15 yards of mulch dumped on the street I front of her house (she lives in a col de sac). This is the next phase in which I will spread everything. How would you price this? I told her to email me the price a company charged her last year and I will go a bit cheaper. She was not happy with the company as they pulled up some of her flowers. She is very layed back and said "I don't care if it takes you two weeks to complete":
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA97 View Post
I have decide we need about 5 yards of mulch possibly a bit more. I quoted her at $450 for everything
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you sure you know how much you need? From reading this I am going to assume not. There is a huge difference between 10-15 yards versus 5 yards. Did you physically go measure the beds? You can get yourself in a lot of problems here. If you quoted her 450 then actually find out you need 10 yards well now all the sudden guess what, you are not going to make anything off this project. You cant go back to the lady and be like I am sorry I misquoted you by $450 so now I will need that in order to make a profit.

I dont know how much bed prep and cleanout you have to do but in your original post you mentioned you were going to spend a day cleaning everything up. By my calculations if you did 5 yards mulch at 450 that comes out to 90 a yard including the cost of mulch depending on the color usually varies somewhere between $20-40 a yard plus tax. So that leaves you with approximately $60 per yard for labor. Normally you charge atleast double the mulch cost to install but always aim higher. Most people try to get $35 per yard installed but just depends on your area.

So based on my calculations you buy mulch at $30 yard and charge $35 per yard that is $375. According to what you are saying you are only going to charge $125 for bed prep and cleanout? And you plan on spending a whole day there doing it? Plus u also have to haul this debris off and dispose of it which should charge $25 min depending on amount of debris. I dont know what your hourly rate is but just seems low to me. I would have to have beds cleaned and be out of there in 2 hours or I am losing money. I dont know what your market will bear.