Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2014, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of grass is this?

Just trying to figure out what is growing here. The builders was suppose to put down Lesco supreme blend and they also strawed it. What I am seeing in the yard is some kind of stalky grass/weed. It has a bluish tint to it and it has been growing like crazy. When I cut it down all that is left is a stalk. I let some keep growing and it finally got a feathery tip. I mowed one week ago and this stuff grew about a foot. I have mowed the yard 3 times now and it seems this stuff is starting to die out now. It is also getting warmer. It appears to be under stress. I noticed some is not growing anymore, just dying.

I have never seen any grass like this around here. I know it is not fescue. Never seen a stalky fescue.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2014, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wheat and barley. It was in the straw. Builder most likely used feed straw.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2014, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Wheat and barley. It was in the straw. Builder most likely used feed straw.
Posted via Mobile Device
So what do I do to fix this? Is it going to die out? All I know is there not much fescue coming in but the whole yard is covered in this stuff. It is getting warm here now. Mid 80s this week. Planting fescue is starting to get too late. I dont know what to do. The one picture is the front yard.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxrider52 View Post
So what do I do to fix this? Is it going to die out? All I know is there not much fescue coming in but the whole yard is covered in this stuff. It is getting warm here now. Mid 80s this week. Planting fescue is starting to get too late. I dont know what to do. The one picture is the front yard.
I would suggest you stop mowing it first off. Go on Craigslist and get your self a good combine. Make sure to spread manure throughout the year and when comes fall, get to harvesting. You can make some great bread.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuttingEdge LawnCare View Post
I would suggest you stop mowing it first off. Go on Craigslist and get your self a good combine. Make sure to spread manure throughout the year and when comes fall, get to harvesting. You can make some great bread.
haha I can see it now. Brand new house turned in a cow field.

This is frustrating. Spent so much money on this lesco supreme and have nothing to show.

Here the backyard. I have an acre of pasture grass now.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2014, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why builders should NEVER do lawn work. If it's not K31 seed then it's putting down hay as a cover and you get what's happening in your yard. Not sure if that's a one time deal and when it dies off due to the heat that's it? Or, will it keep coming back? If so, you might need to blanket app with gly and start over.

I ALWAYS use peat moss as a cover. Little more expensive and time consuming, but it's so much better.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
That's why builders should NEVER do lawn work. If it's not K31 seed then it's putting down hay as a cover and you get what's happening in your yard. Not sure if that's a one time deal and when it dies off due to the heat that's it? Or, will it keep coming back? If so, you might need to blanket app with gly and start over.

I ALWAYS use peat moss as a cover. Little more expensive and time consuming, but it's so much better.
Pretty sure it dies off after it produces it's crop and it doesn't come back. If not then you need to kill it now before the new crop will seed
Old 05-05-2014, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Annual Rye gets really stemmy when it gets tall like that, and growns about an 1" a day under ideal conditions.

That's what it looks like when it starts to die out if its ever been left alone long enough to get 8+" tall. Temps over 80 and it starts to lighten up on its way out.

We use it to overseed bermuda in the fall, and kill it when the Muda starts to green up. Not sure how it does in TN
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Builder did the same thing in my backyard last year, still fighting a little bit of it this year. Last year I would just grab a few beers and a bucket and pull the suckers out of the ground a couple of times a week, but then again I only had 5K square feet.