Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2014, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Daily Afternoon "Rant" Thread....

Post you daily afternoon rant or rants here. Can be positive or negative or even something interesting.

Ill start, the last two days Ive worked my rear end off.........and didn't make much money. I guess it works out that way sometimes.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A guy cancelled yesterday because i didn't show up to cut his lawn, because he owed me for 2 visits and he's not on monthly billing. They think they don't have to pay for prior work since i didn't show up. Why am i so mad about this? its only $75.00. Funny thing is, I had his service on hold and was gonna drop him after I got the payment.. because they never could pay on time anyway and the yard sucked to mow. I was relieved that they cancelled without me having to go call them making an excuse to drop them.. but now, not gonna see my money. I'll send them to collections just to feel like i did something. but i will never see that money. YEP. i STILL have a hard time letting stuff like this go. Hope to get to that point soon where i can shrug it off.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Had a bi weekly I dropped today.. Always complaining wanting her yard to look like it got mowed weekly when it didn't and is full of weeds so it cuts like crap! Stragglers everywhere unless you double cut it and guess what she wouldn't pay to have it double cut. She texted me yesterday and said her neighbors were complaining about how tall her grass is because she only gets it cut bi weekly and tells me she really needs me to come out now and cut it.... Yeah right! So I go cut it today and yeah lots of Stragglers because I won't double cut a yard unless I get paid to double cut it.. And she calls saying how she isn't paying for it because it looks so bad I tell her it's because you don't get it cut like you should! So we came to a understanding.... She is finding someone else.. Glad to see this pain in the ass leave!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2014, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I picked up two new customers today. I'm in tight with a local reality management company (tourist town) that refers everyone to me. Most of these people own homes here but live out of town. All they expect is they do not receive any complaints and that I look over the properties while I'm there. Monthly billing and prompt payments for the win.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
A guy cancelled yesterday because i didn't show up to cut his lawn, because he owed me for 2 visits and he's not on monthly billing. They think they don't have to pay for prior work since i didn't show up. Why am i so mad about this? its only $75.00. Funny thing is, I had his service on hold and was gonna drop him after I got the payment.. because they never could pay on time anyway and the yard sucked to mow. I was relieved that they cancelled without me having to go call them making an excuse to drop them.. but now, not gonna see my money. I'll send them to collections just to feel like i did something. but i will never see that money. YEP. i STILL have a hard time letting stuff like this go. Hope to get to that point soon where i can shrug it off.
Go over there, when you know he will be home, and ask for your money. You earned it. Go get it
Old 05-06-2014, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds easy right? this guy is pretty big and intimidating.. about twice my size and looks like he just got out of prison. has 2 large pit bulls.. has to have carpet tacking on top the split rail to keep them down.. lol. I'm not going NEAR that place. Thats all i need is an a$$ kicking + out $75.00 The strangest part is, this is in a really nice golf community/country club over here.. Was not expecting these kinda people in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Go over there, when you know he will be home, and ask for your money. You earned it. Go get it
Old 05-06-2014, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I see it so many times. A customer creates a flower bed and is excited. They will not maintain it, or pay to have it maintained, and now after i cut, the yard doesn't look as good as it did before the flower beds were put in, because the beds are a mess. They expect me to work 30 or 45 extra minutes in the beds for nothing. Won't do it. To me, it's easy. Maintain your beds, pay to have them maintained, or don't have them. ugghh!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I made all my phone calls a few weeks ago to all my existing customers to see who was coming back. Heard back from everyone but two, until my wife sends me a text some lady left a message waiting to hear from you hope you didn't call the house. I called again on her cell phone and left another message, told her again what new price would be and said I left you a message a few weeks ago with all the info. She calls back a few hours later and says I'll find a new lawn company. I'm so happy goodbye ya drunk
Old 05-06-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yeah that's what I was going to do also but I sellttled for a lower amount figure there happy and I don't have to worry about them bad mouthing my business when it was them that is the reason for the problem in the first place. Remember most people aren't going to care about your side if they here something bad about your business
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2014, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
I see it so many times. A customer creates a flower bed and is excited. They will not maintain it, or pay to have it maintained, and now after i cut, the yard doesn't look as good as it did before the flower beds were put in, because the beds are a mess. They expect me to work 30 or 45 extra minutes in the beds for nothing. Won't do it. To me, it's easy. Maintain your beds, pay to have them maintained, or don't have them. ugghh!
You should post that as another thread. It drives me crazy, some 90 year old lady get a new flower bed from her family for a mothers day gift, then were expected to maintain it.