Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-17-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Taking pay as you go customers to full service year-round customers

Does anybody have an example of a letter that you have sent to pay-as-you-go customers asking / offering for them to go to year-round customers?

I have three customers that I took on this past season as pay-as-you-goers BECAUSE I had accounts that were really close to them already. They constantly call me and say that the grass hasn't grown enough or the leaves are still falling or whatever and they want me to skip a week or in one case 2 weeks. The leaves are easy to explain to them - the more leaves there are - the longer I have to work. You want to pay the same $$$ but I do MUCH more work.

This coming year I would like to weed as many of those customers out as possible. Anybody have any examples of something that you may have sent out or any good advice?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 11-18-2014, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

No but I can tell you that idea of 'weeding out' customers in favor of what we think is more profitable work doesn't work out real good in the long run.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't weed people out that pay. Explain to them that if they want to a maintain a consistent price, you need to maintain a consistent schedule. Skipping a week here and there is one thing, but as long as it isn't out of control. I dropped a pay as you go this year because they were people that "wanted to do it themselves, we don't need a lawn service". I cut it once when it was extremely high, said they could call again, but not to wait so long. They said they'd cut it next week. Flash forward to 3 1/2 weeks later, they call. I drive by, grass hasn't been cut and its higher than it was before. Get real, I told them to not call me again, and if they don't want to cut their grass its their problem not mine.

It took 2 hours to cut it the first time. It's only a 1/2 acre. I filled a dumpster tarp with grass clippings. More than a standard pick up truck bed. These are the people you weed out, because they're assh0les. Be stern, like I was with these people the first time I worked for them. They didn't want to play ball, so I cut them loose. Pay as you go is fine, as long as its a mutually beneficial relationship.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I should have given more detail than I did in the original post. The reason for considering weeding out some of them is only because the work / pay is not enough to justify hiring another employee especially when I can't count on that money coming in consistently. The year-round customers that I have cover payroll. If the pay-as-you-go ppl were year round then it would be much easier to justify another employee. Right now (especially when they call on the day that we are supposed to do their work) it messes the schedule completely up. I go from a moderate day to an extra long day b/c it took so much longer to do the ones that I skipped before or either we are done a couple of hours earlier than I thought we would be done and I don't have something else lined up for us to start.
It also seems that I spend more time working on tracking the payments on these customers than I do on all of the year-round customers combined.
I want to keep the paying customers (for obvious reasons) I am just looking for a way to make the relationship more beneficial to BOTH of us. They KNOW that they can count on me to come / not come when they call - I just need to be able to count on them as a steady source of income and in return they get a consistent service.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you could write a letter explaining that non-regular or bi-weekly customer prices will be increasing due to increased overhead costs associated with overgrown grass and scheduling issues but regular scheduled customers will remain the same, if you truly want to drop them for that reason
Old 11-18-2014, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Ditta. I appreciate the response. I am not looking to drop anyone. I want to take them from pay-as-you-go to full service year-round customers.
I am want to send a letter that shows them that it is beneficial to both of us to do that. ( they have a great looking yard year-round / I have consistent income )

I should have worded the original post differently.

Last edited by Woodman1; 11-18-2014 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Not clear
Old 11-18-2014, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

its going to be a hard sell if they truly cant see any benefit for themselves, if you point out that their price will be higher if they continue to use your services at their will (making your job harder) they might be more inclined to go for regular service
Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree! I am trying to come up with the wording that shows them in a concise way that it WILL benefit them. Yes, it is going to benefit me (at the same time) BUT these are the benefits to them...
I'll keep working on it!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pay as you go in your situation is not worth it. Problem is not how to dump them. The problem is you took them on.

1 Customer does not want to be on the schedule then it's no dice.

2 Pay as you go can mean pay you weekly.

3 Can mean they do their own lawn but want it cut once while they are away on vacation.

1 stay away from, 2 and 3 are ok.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

there are two types of pay as you go....
1) our grass doesnt grow and is very weak, therefore doesnt really need to be cut regularly (sell fertilizer treatment plan, lawn renovation)
2) we will call you when it gets out of hand for our cheap mower we got at lowes, otherwise dont bother us (raise price considerably to persuade them to choose regular service or non-renewal)

also the ones who call for one or two cuts because they went away on vacation, but that isnt who hes talking about

Dear sir or madam, we are changing our pricing policy as follows for the upcoming year....regular serviced lawns will remain the same price for the duration of next year and I thank you for your ongoing support and customer loyalty. Our bi-weekly lawns will have an increase in price of xxx to cover the additional time and equipment depreciation that overgrown lawns have on our industry. We will no longer be servicing lawns for on-call mowing due to schedule conflicts with our regular clients.

We urge all clients to renew as soon as possible to guarantee a spot in our schedule for next season

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Last edited by Ditta&Sons; 11-18-2014 at 10:50 AM.