Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-21-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Changing blades... Electric Impact

For those of you that change blades (on the fly) or out in the field and use electric impact wrenches or guns, I have a question. I'm looking for an electric impact, just want something with enough juice to take the mower blades off walk behinds/small mowers, etc. Will a 3/8" suffice? Or should I get a 1/2" ? I don't want to spend a ton of cash for a wrench, just something that will get the job done. I seen Sears has a Craftsman 1/2" for $120.00. That's about what I was looking to spend, now my question is will that have enough to take the blades off a walk behind? Not looking for anything to take off lug nuts on the truck, just for the mower blades. If not, I will be looking at Pawn Shops tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got a sears 19.2 volt 1/2 impact and it takes the blades off all my push mowers and my 36" scag. Nice and fast

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 05-21-2014, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Vegan, thanks for the input. That's exactly the one I was looking at was the 19.2 1/2" Craftsman. Sears has them for $120.00. I wasn't wanting to spend a fortune, but do feel it would save me time, possibly even able to make it to the dinner table faster at the end of the day. I figure it would take it off the small push mowers, I was more worried about the walk behind. Dealer impacted them on at last service and I couldn't budge them today. I'll be heading to pick one up in the morning.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can never torque them down enough to my liking with a impact unless it's an air impact. I've always found it better to use a pull bar and a block of wood. I used to not use the block of wood to wedge and tighten. I use to use my hands and tighten them that way. Then boom one day I had a blade sling loose and it stripped the hell out of my spindle threads. Had to tap that to a bigger size. Pain in the ass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2014, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your dealer impacted them on you may have to initially break them loose. Last fall I bought a well used scag 36 that I had to swap the motor on and I used my impact extensively and never found a bolt that it wouldn't turn. During the mowing day I can change the blades on my 30 in about two minutes or so. I just don't know why I waited so many years before I got one

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 05-21-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
If your dealer impacted them on you may have to initially break them loose. Last fall I bought a well used scag 36 that I had to swap the motor on and I used my impact extensively and never found a bolt that it wouldn't turn. During the mowing day I can change the blades on my 30 in about two minutes or so. I just don't know why I waited so many years before I got one

Sounds good. That's what I was shooting for. To the above post, I currently use the block method, but it just isn't cutting it. It works, just isn't fast enough. Especially when trying to fit blade changes into a tight route. I have an acre and another acre I do early in the morning when it's cool, then do my smaller houses in the afternoon tomorrow. I always hate mowing to acre lots then going to finish the smaller lots with a dull blade, and I hate having to change the blades by hand in the middle of a route. On a free weekend and a beer and I wouldn't mind to block and socket it off, but when in a hurry it's no fun. Granted, if I buy an impact in the morning, I'm pretty sure blades is the only thing it will get used for. I'm going to check with a few pawn shops in the am and see if I run across a good deal on a nice one. If I an't find a good cordless one for cheap, then I'm going with the 19.2 Craftsman.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have the sears craftsman 19.2v impact wrench too. it does it perfectly. not too loose, not too tight.

i think i bought mine for $80-$90 or something a few years ago. have they gone up in price that much?
Old 05-22-2014, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Would the Ryobi at Home Depot be worth looking at, or not?

On sale for $99 ($50 off)

Includes:
Drill
Impact wrench
Two batteries
Dual charger

ETA: I would assume a short/compact model would be desirable when working under a mower deck.

Last edited by OakNut; 05-22-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i have the sears craftsman 19.2v impact wrench too. it does it perfectly. not too loose, not too tight.

i think i bought mine for $80-$90 or something a few years ago. have they gone up in price that much?
bought mine early fall last year and paid something like $115 or so. Definitely worth it though

Old 05-22-2014, 05:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Would the Ryobi at Home Depot be worth looking at, or not?

On sale for $99 ($50 off)

Includes:
Drill
Impact wrench
Two batteries
Dual charger

ETA: I would assume a short/compact model would be desirable when working under a mower deck.
The impact is only a 1/4" and it wont do the job. I aso have the Craftsman impact 19.2 1/2" drive and it works great on my 52" scag V ride. I only paid $89 a few weeks ago. i may have caught a sale or something...