Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2010, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How not to have your crews stop for soda, cigs etc...

Anyone have any ideas on how to get your crews not to stop for soda, water, food, cigs in the morning right after they leave the shop. I have been working at this for years with little outcome. I have a vending machine with items for sale at COST and fuel trucks at night. Any ideas out there would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about this...just tell them they can't...or...know how long their route takes to mow and tell them that they will ONLY be paid for what time it SHOULD take. But in all honesty...a buck or two here and there isn't worth the gripe. You should be making a nice living and if your worker gets and extra buck outta your pocket...oh well...they probably need it more.
2 -Toro Z450 w/ Bagger + Striping Kit
32" Lesco w/ Sulky & Bagger
36" Lesco w/ Sulky
3 - Husqvarna Push Mowers
Lawnboy Push Mower
Husqvarna 125E Combi w/ Hedge Trimmer
2 - Husqvarna 223L Trimmers
3 - Poulan Pro BP400 BP Blowers
Husqvarna 125BT BP Blower
Tanaka TPE-260PF Stick Edger
Cyclone Rake
3 - Stihl Hedge Trimmers
Western UniMount Plow
Buyers Salt Spreader
www.facebook.com/yardatwork
Old 12-27-2010, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I can think of only two ways. Either a dedicated truck gps (not the cell phone type) or somehow reward them with a sliding scale based on how much they have done. (gotta watch for quality issues though)
Old 12-27-2010, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If my crew is productive and gets the jobs done I don't screw with there routine. Its what gets them going. You might want to consider talking with them about it and ask them to come to work 15 minutes earlier.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

simple. tell them not to do it. They can wake up 5 minutes earlier & hit the gas station on the way to work.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

My guys go to the gas station on their way in to work, but if they're running late and skip it I let them go.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

discipline...discipline, terminate....

make an example out of one of the crew leaders. The crew leader is the driver... and runs the crew. if he's slacking on you in this regards then you deal with the driver.

15 minute stop costs you 45 man minutes of productivity. it also exposes you to more risk in regards to liabliliy claims, Ie truck and trailer and pulling into and out of small spaces high potential for accidents.

15 minutes per person per day, assuming 200 work days = 50 hours of lost productivity.

for those of you who say, let em be and don't mess with the drivers routine...might as well just offer hims a weeks free vacation. If you don't address the problem than basically that what you are doing.

andif they are stoping for ciggy's before their first job, then they are making other stops throughout the day or taking other liberties with your time.

think about what a crew could do with 15-20 minutes. they could cut an extra home, they could change the oil on their equipment, they could wash the trucks....

think about this. you think the guy who works at mcdonalds, or safeway, or target is able to walk off the job for 15 minutes without accountability?

Your rules, enforce them...
Old 12-27-2010, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another reason why I stay solo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
discipline...discipline, terminate....

make an example out of one of the crew leaders. The crew leader is the driver... and runs the crew. if he's slacking on you in this regards then you deal with the driver.

15 minute stop costs you 45 man minutes of productivity. it also exposes you to more risk in regards to liabliliy claims, Ie truck and trailer and pulling into and out of small spaces high potential for accidents.

15 minutes per person per day, assuming 200 work days = 50 hours of lost productivity.

for those of you who say, let em be and don't mess with the drivers routine...might as well just offer hims a weeks free vacation. If you don't address the problem than basically that what you are doing.

andif they are stoping for ciggy's before their first job, then they are making other stops throughout the day or taking other liberties with your time.

think about what a crew could do with 15-20 minutes. they could cut an extra home, they could change the oil on their equipment, they could wash the trucks....

think about this. you think the guy who works at mcdonalds, or safeway, or target is able to walk off the job for 15 minutes without accountability?

Your rules, enforce them...
You are correct.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Workers always want to stop for food and cig. They want to borrow money because they don't have enough for coffee. No more. They left coffee cups and chip bags and crumbs behind . Made a mess out of my truck. No more I will stay solo. I don't need to hear there same old stories as we drive. I want to listen to my music and stop when I want to stop. Sorry but all of my help I have had over the years have done this.