Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2014, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Will Call Customers:

Would like some advise on will call customers,I have this customer that calls when can't get to his lawn i had this client for 2 years i mowed his lawn 2 times this year after the second cut he told me i will need you for fall clean up.OK no priced was discussed left it at that.Drove by to see what it looked like and there was a other company there. So how would you handle this customer in the up coming future?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman12 View Post
Would like some advise on will call customers,I have this customer that calls when can't get to his lawn i had this client for 2 years i mowed his lawn 2 times this year after the second cut he told me i will need you for fall clean up.OK no priced was discussed left it at that.Drove by to see what it looked like and there was a other company there. So how would you handle this customer in the up coming future?
COMMON SENSE TIME. He's Fired. Don't waste your time with accounts like this in the future.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
COMMON SENSE TIME. He's Fired. Don't waste your time with accounts like this in the future.
easy-lift guy
Why turn down work? If you can fit them in your schedule then take the work. I wouldn't do their place and knock one of your other customers off, but if you had time to do their place and could make some money then why not go for it?
Old 10-22-2014, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelMowing View Post
Why turn down work? If you can fit them in your schedule then take the work. I wouldn't do their place and knock one of your other customers off, but if you had time to do their place and could make some money then why not go for it?
Why make you're life miserable with a pain in the ass?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2014, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd move along and find another better paying customer. No need to wait for anyone to call you.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Why make you're life miserable with a pain in the ass?
Posted via Mobile Device
I didn't see where the guy was being a pain in the ass or being miserable. Does you garage only accept repeat customers? Do you turn down all one time people? We have a few people that call us randomly throughout the year to mow when they are out of town or for something special. If we can do it then we will do it, if we are busy we tell them we can't do it until we handle our other business.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Plain and simple catering to these types of clients is no way to develop a solid business.

We all start somewhere but at some point you need to cut loose clients like this in favor of regular consistent weekly clients.

This also goes for the "cry poor" & "can't afford" crowd who are looking for beat down rates yet STILL want regular weekly service.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelMowing View Post
The OP is not turning work down the OP has already been disappointed once by the customer. I hope that in the future many other members will learn the difference between cutting bait or go fish. Right up there with working smarter instead of harder.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-22-2014, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll do "will call" accounts if the leaves are light for that yard. If they are steadily falling, and will build up, I have to do it regularly, or I'm moving on. I've had my battles with these situations, and I have never been satisfied with it. It's my choice to turn down that work. Their loss.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Generally jobs like this are hard to do because they always will call when you don't have time and it's really hard on the equipment. Most of them expect it to look manicured after you are there.
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PAS-230 with Articulating Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 130-BT Backpack Blower

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow