Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Nate'sLawnCare's Avatar
Nate'sLawnCare Nate'sLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 936
I'll rant here for my son. We went to aerate and fertilize a yard in our neighborhood today and after picking up the walk behind aerator from the rental yard, he asks if I want to run it since it's "self-propelled". I said no, I'll spread the fertilizer and you can handle that. Needless to say, after about an hour of man-handling that "self-propelled" aerator, he was worn out. I did help him a little with it, but it was interesting to see how he thought it would be easy. He's 17, so still learning about these things We normally split the fees, but I'll give him the majority of it since he worked the hardest.
__________________
Snapper Pro S200XT 36 HP Big Block
BOP 36 Inch Dually
Honda HRX217VKA Mower
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 PM
inzane's Avatar
inzane inzane is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 1,604
yeah, i would have prefered not to run the aerator myself as well.. lol. save that for the younger guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
I'll rant here for my son. We went to aerate and fertilize a yard in our neighborhood today and after picking up the walk behind aerator from the rental yard, he asks if I want to run it since it's "self-propelled". I said no, I'll spread the fertilizer and you can handle that. Needless to say, after about an hour of man-handling that "self-propelled" aerator, he was worn out. I did help him a little with it, but it was interesting to see how he thought it would be easy. He's 17, so still learning about these things We normally split the fees, but I'll give him the majority of it since he worked the hardest.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-06-2014, 08:04 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 10,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
yeah, i would have prefered not to run the aerator myself as well.. lol. save that for the younger guys.
I once did 2 and 1/2 acers with my Blue Bird, and Im approaching 50, it took over 6 hours, and I was worn out. Shouldn't bother a 17 year old lol
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Nate'sLawnCare's Avatar
Nate'sLawnCare Nate'sLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I once did 2 and 1/2 acers with my Blue Bird, and Im approaching 50, it took over 6 hours, and I was worn out. Shouldn't bother a 17 year old lol
Yeah, this one was about 18,000 square feet with plenty of obstacles, so lots of turning and changing directions.
__________________
Snapper Pro S200XT 36 HP Big Block
BOP 36 Inch Dually
Honda HRX217VKA Mower
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-06-2014, 08:37 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 10,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
Yeah, this one was about 18,000 square feet with plenty of obstacles, so lots of turning and changing directions.
No doubt there a ich to operate. For what ever reason I only do abort 3 to 4 aeration jobs per year. If I did a lot Id definitely get a more friendly machine.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-06-2014, 09:39 PM
sehitchman sehitchman is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West, GA
Posts: 553
Friday, I had a huge and full schedule. I'm out the door on time and had all machines serviced and fueled, ready to go. Did my 1st two side by side, guy pulls up behind my trailer and after a car passes other direction, I wave him by. He's like waving me to come back to his car. Wants a price on his yard down the street. I'm 1/2 done with the side by side and switching out to my big mower so I asked him the address and would be over in 30 minutes. Hes like " I've got to go soon, so could you just come now. Wants the sweaty dirty yard guy to hop into the brand new Bimmer. He drives me all of two houses across the street. $45 regular service and hes on the schedule, I'm feeling good, move the trailer two doors and knock it out. The next accounts need the EVO so back home to switch out the 32 and 36 and pick up the EVO. Another car is waving at me in my hood, She about jumps out in front of the truck to get me to stop. It is the realtor of the house across the street for sale, asks me how much, to cut it and make it look decent for pictures Sat. I quickly give her a $55 price, she writes me a check and I have to tell her it will be late or early Sat morning. She's fine with that. So now I'm thinking I'm a super star lawn guy! Go about 3 miles to my crap yard account, Inzane knows the property since he gave it to me, I'm still not sure if he did me a favor. Usually every tool from the garage along with kid toys and golf balls all over. I just move the stuff that would cause damage and put the good stuff in my truck bed. They did not leave a check which usually does not bother me, but this place raises some concern with me . The great day is about to go down hill fast. I leave and the next account is the next hood about 1/4 mile. I hear a flap / flap on the truck, then smoke billows out of the hood, I loose power steering and my brain says woh this beast down before there is no vacuum and brakes, I limp the PSD into the next hood and creep into my accounts cul-de-sac putting everything I've got into the steering fearing I'll have to pull a Fred Flintstone to get it stopped. Pop the hood, seized alternator and broken serpentine belt. The beast is hot, wife is at work and does not answer her phone, daughter is at work so, I figure I'll just service my account and let things cool off. Finished the mow and before the trim, edge and blow, I try my support persons again, no answers. Finished the job, 3:00 pm. Still two to go and one is a couple acre church. started walking about a mile to O'Rilley's and think about a friend who lives close, his wife is home and gives me a ride to the parts store, new alternator, and belt and I'm back to the truck, 35 minutes later. The PSD roars to life and I'm back to work. Thought about the rough day, but in reality, I'm blessed! with skills, tools and the mentoring of a father and grandfather who made me lay on frozen shop floors handing tools as a kid, learned the skills, to make a bad day into a rewarding one!
__________________
My wife said "you're on lawn toy restriction"

Last edited by sehitchman; 05-06-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-06-2014, 09:50 PM
inzane's Avatar
inzane inzane is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 1,604
Yeah, i know pinkards lawn is rough. but hey, he always payed (hoping that didn't change) and free hammers and golf clubs in the yard for an added bonus. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
Friday, I had a huge and full schedule. I'm out the door on time and had all machines serviced and fueled, ready to go. Did my 1st two side by side, guy pulls up behind my trailer and after a car passes other direction, I wave him by. He's like waving me to come back to his car. Wants a price on his yard down the street. I'm 1/2 done with the side by side and switching out to my big mower so I asked him the address and would be over in 30 minutes. Hes like " I've got to go soon, so could you just come now. Wants the sweaty dirty yard guy to hop into the brand new Bimmer. He drives me all of two houses across the street. $45 regular service and hes on the schedule, I'm feeling good, move the trailer two doors and knock it out. The next accounts need the EVO so back home to switch out the 32 and 36 and pick up the EVO. Another car is waving at me in my hood, She about jumps out in front of the truck to get me to stop. It is the realtor of the house across the street for sale, asks me how much, to cut it and make it look decent for pictures Sat. I quickly give her a $55 price, she writes me a check and I have to tell her it will be late or early Sat morning. She's fine with that. So now I'm thinking I'm a super star lawn guy! Go about 3 miles to my crap yard account, Inzane knows the property since he gave it to me, I'm still not sure if he did me a favor. Usually every tool from the garage along with kid toys and golf balls all over. I just move the stuff that would cause damage and put the good stuff in my truck bed. They did not leave a check which usually does not bother me, but this place raises some concern with me . The great day is about to go down hill fast. I leave and the next account is the next hood about 1/4 mile. I hear a flap / flap on the truck, then smoke billows out of the hood, I loose power steering and my brain says woh this beast down before there is no vacuum and brakes, I limp the PSD into the next hood and creep into my accounts cul-de-sac putting everything I've got into the steering fearing I'll have to pull a Fred Flintstone to get it stopped. Pop the hood, seized alternator and broken serpentine belt. The beast is hot, wife is at work and does not answer her phone, daughter is at work so, I figure I'll just service my account and let things cool off. Finished the mow and before the trim, edge and blow, I try my support persons again, no answers. Finished the job, 3:00 pm. Still two to go and one is a couple acre church. started walking about a mile to O'Rilley's and think about a friend who lives close, his wife is home and gives me a ride to the parts store, new alternator, and belt and I'm back to the truck, 35 minutes later. The PSD roars to life and I'm back to work. Thought about the rough day, but in reality, I'm blessed! with skills, tools and the mentoring of a father and grandfather who made me lay on frozen shop floors handing tools as a kid, learned the skills, to make a bad day into a rewarding one!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-06-2014, 09:57 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I once did 2 and 1/2 acers with my Blue Bird, and Im approaching 50, it took over 6 hours, and I was worn out. Shouldn't bother a 17 year old lol
About 2 weeks ago I aerated a 1/2, 1/2, 3/4, 1/3, and a 1/2 acre in 1 day using a walk behind aerator.

I will be 60 in 7 days.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 PM
sehitchman sehitchman is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West, GA
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
Yeah, i know pinkards lawn is rough. but hey, he always payed (hoping that didn't change) and free hammers and golf clubs in the yard for an added bonus. lol.
So, Mr is no longer living there, he txt me apologetic about the payment and said it would be under the mat, we agreed I'd be by a 9:00 am last Saturday. Guess what, no check. I figure it cost me about $4 in fuel to make that worthless trip, so he's on the short leash for next service.
I've only kept the golf balls, but all of the tools, 2 hammers, several screw drivers, 2 shovels, 1 rake, 1 step stool and other stuff are leaning against the house
__________________
My wife said "you're on lawn toy restriction"
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:41 PM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville, AL
Posts: 5,308
where to start?

today was the first good day I've had all season just about. finally a week not being behind because of rain. I can finally breathe again.

as for this year:

- city put in a street light pole and telephone pole and messed up the curb I had spent a ton of time on to cut back the dirt and grass that had overtaken it over the years and did a halfway job at putting a new curb back and put gravel and rocks all in the grass and asphalt and generally screwed everything up on an office building I mow at that used to have a perfect edge once I got it into shape. now it's like starting all over.

- bent pushmower blade hitting a metal stob in the ground that I couldn't see because they waited too long to get me to start mowing it this year at the same office place.

- got a brand new blade for the pushmower and bent it on the first time using it on a different place. there was the stump of a shrub that had been cut down and I couldn't see it because it was hidden under the grass.

-this one bugs me the most. why does everyone wait until a week where it rains 2-3 days and then they start calling you wanting you to do some job that is way too big for a solo person to do or they want you to come do their yard that week etc.

- gonna break down and finally buy a gas powered hedge trimmer. the battery powered one just doesn't have enough power and the batteries don't last long enough. so I go look at 2 places and they have the smaller model and not the bigger model I want. it seems everytime i'm looking for a certain piece of equipment the stores or dealers don't have it. I want a Husqvarna 122hd60 with a 24" blade but all they have in stock is the 122h45 with an 18" blade.

- got a new customer and did his yard the first time and got paid so went back the second time and of course they forgot to leave a check. no biggie I called and said just pay double the next cut. call them to be sure we're on the same page and was gonna mow it tomorrow and of course they don't answer the phone and they don't call me back.

i'm sure there's more but that's all I can think about at the moment.
__________________

Last edited by weeze; 05-06-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.08390 seconds with 8 queries