Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2014, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I went to do a new property today and it was the last of the day, a 4500sq ft lot. The neutral safety switch took a crap on my walk behind. I eyeballed the gate and determined my lazer wouldn't fit. So after I completed the cut with a 21" I decided to measure the gate for the hell of it and discovered my lazer would have just fit after all. haha
Old 05-06-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A lady asked me to pressure wash, and to get back to her. She wasn't in the mood when i was ready, and not busy. She's not doing the work, so why does it matter? Now that I am busy, she calls, "okay i'm ready" People are predictable. This is the same woman that tells me it's too hot and to come back in the late afternoon.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I must be blessed.

I have clients that leave me Gatorade's, Clif bars etc. I have clients that respond to my invoice emails with a big THANKS! you don't know how much we love having you." I get Christmas bonuses...I had a client call me last week just to let me know they installed a swing set for the kids and didn't want me to be surprised..... I have a client that texts me the morning of each cut just to let me know she just got done unlocking the gate to the back yard.

I have a client that pays me an extra $20 buck a month just because I did a good mulch job last fall because the previous guys didn't edge the beds and around the trees and I charged him to edge! and he still pays me for the extra effort.

I do have 2 clients that I never talk to.........but they pay on time, never complain, never expect anything more....they never answer any calls or emails...however with one of them, I noticed a gutter hanging...I emailed them about it..........I never heard back from them, but the next time I mowed.........I noticed the gutter was fixed and a lawn sign for the gutter company in the lawn.....they didn't say thanks, but I was listened to.......sometimes being listened to is enough.

After reading some stories on here, I'm counting my blessings on having good clients.....or maybe I have so many good clients the one or two bad ones aren't even a glitch on my radar............either way....i'm going to bed happier tonight knowing I am one lucky SOB.

Last edited by SaberLawnCare; 05-07-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
sounds easy right? this guy is pretty big and intimidating.. about twice my size and looks like he just got out of prison. has 2 large pit bulls.. has to have carpet tacking on top the split rail to keep them down.. lol. I'm not going NEAR that place. Thats all i need is an a$$ kicking + out $75.00 The strangest part is, this is in a really nice golf community/country club over here.. Was not expecting these kinda people in there.
I didn't say go over there and beat him up. I said go "ask" for your money. I never get rude with people when collecting
Old 05-07-2014, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Saber, i like the quiet ones. One man told me from the start that it's my decision to make changes to his yard. I removed some stuff, and planted a few indian hawthorns (didn't pay - i grow them from seed). It gives me incentive.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Knowing how rough some of your days have been, man, I'm starting to feel good just reading this thread.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Omg on a bad day I can get really fired up over the "shorter / lower" cut routine question.
If I'm short on work or it's a desirable customer I might think twice about my answer because I know what a smart mouth gets me.
Regardless of outcome the answer is No...
It's a canned answer coming for sure, the only difference is in the delivery, such as on a bad day I might say it in a defiant tone.

Between that and the lawn's already cut when I show up.

I have wondered if some customers ask/ do that in hopes that I'll drop them, because they figure that's the easy way out of a contract.
Some days I'll pull a backfire type response out of spite.

It really fires me up somedays, you might guess what some brand new customer who was all up-and-up and excited yesterday asked me...
Talk about a let down, it's like DANG just when I was thinking it might work out real good.

Last edited by herler; 05-07-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Omg on a bad day I can get really fired up over the "shorter / lower" cut routine question.
My answer is always the same. "no problem" But I never, ever change the deck height. They're happy, I'm happy, it's all good.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

How about the folks who play the poverty card, try and try and try and try to get us to give them a good deal?
Live in a $300,000 house...
But I'm still willing to give them a break as they may not have foreseen all the expenses...
Not that I'm but so much more lenient with folks who live in a run-down property, but the point is they play the poverty card...
Never pay on time / Always pay late (except maybe the first time, the real special cases even gave us a 'generous' bonus that one time).

Until one day they either show up in a $100,000 dang near exotic automobile...
Or I show up one day and see they've had a total yard renovation done that had to cost them several thousand if not tens of thousands...
Or the day I show up and see that round paper yard sign stuck on a stick in their front yard.

And some may not think much of those little signs but way I see things, if you can pay them you can pay me!

Guess some things never change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I once did 2 and 1/2 acers with my Blue Bird, and Im approaching 50, it took over 6 hours, and I was worn out. Shouldn't bother a 17 year old lol
I'm 47 and I can do an acre in an hour with my Classen solid axle, thou I honestly would have let the kid run it too.

Last edited by herler; 05-07-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
About 2 weeks ago I aerated a 1/2, 1/2, 3/4, 1/3, and a 1/2 acre in 1 day using a walk behind aerator.

I will be 60 in 7 days.
If your running a Bluebird 530 your a far better Man than me!