Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2014, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;5082661
I always try to go beyond what is considered normal. I always trim the power boxes, cable stands and meters on property lines. I always attempt to make my cut at property lines straight. I've got a couple of LCO's who only ride their big Z-turns scalping yards next to mine. they make a big swoop at the curb and miss a curved triangle. I usually clean it up with my walk behind. They never trim the power boxes (at least hit it every other time) and blow grass in front of the curb at my customer. I never see the guy, or I'd ask him to be a better competitor. How far do you go on cleaning up the other guys mess, this really got to me this week with it pushing 95 degrees and my attitude going way down. BTY, I'm $60 at my account and they always tip $5. The customer next door is similar, I quoted $60 and they about crapped a couple years ago. They wanted to pay $35, and are on their 3rd yard guy in 2 years. Guess I should count my blessings.
Hey Sehitchman,

I'm 60 yrs old and have operated one type business or another (that required/requires me to work "one on one" with my customers) for almost 100% of my adult life. I have found that if the value of your work (cost vs quality) is consistently "above and beyond" your competition's work, you will be rewarded in the long run.

There is almost always people that see and grade you on your work. And oddly enough, in a lot of the cases it will be people that you never thought paid any attention at all to the level of pride you put into in your work!

Just think about how many times you yourself have been looking out a window at your house, or a restaurant, or sitting in your truck, watching a guy do yard work (or any kind of work for that matter). You're doing this without him having the slightest idea that you're even around, much less critiquing his work!

That happens to all of us....I just always take it for granted that someone is watching me whether I see them or not. And, the thing is, it might be the owner of the company sitting at his desk on the 7th floor watching every move you make!! You never know.

It's been my experience that taking pride in your work and doing the very best job you can do (with whatever project you're doing) will, for the most part, end up putting money in your pocket!

I know this may sound a little corny, but it happens everyday! It's just that some days you are the "watcher", and some days you're the "watchee"!
Stan

Last edited by StanWilhite; 07-27-2014 at 07:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-27-2014, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

No I took off the axle end caps and put a new cap on with a spring and Greece fitting
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Customer saying they will pay on Tuesday an not getting the check till Thursday.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

yes i am going to send a customer to collections i droped about 2 months ago
Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Yikes, Spikes

I totally agree with Stan

In other news

This.

Name:  yikesspikes.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  48.5 KB

Not many times you find a pile of railroad spikes laying in the middle of a routinely mowed lawn. It was getting dim, I thought it was a chunk of this old rotten stump that was close so I was going to sawdust it..NOPE railroad spikes. Kids, live by old railroad. I don't know if they're some sort of soft steel or what, you can see the chunks in the spikes but there's almost no sign on my blades. Weird..
Old 07-28-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Hey Sehitchman,

I'm 60 yrs old and have operated one type business or another (that required/requires me to work "one on one" with my customers) for almost 100% of my adult life. I have found that if the value of your work (cost vs quality) is consistently "above and beyond" your competition's work, you will be rewarded in the long run.

There is almost always people that see and grade you on your work. And oddly enough, in a lot of the cases it will be people that you never thought paid any attention at all to the level of pride you put into in your work!

Just think about how many times you yourself have been looking out a window at your house, or a restaurant, or sitting in your truck, watching a guy do yard work (or any kind of work for that matter). You're doing this without him having the slightest idea that you're even around, much less critiquing his work!

That happens to all of us....I just always take it for granted that someone is watching me whether I see them or not. And, the thing is, it might be the owner of the company sitting at his desk on the 7th floor watching every move you make!! You never know.

It's been my experience that taking pride in your work and doing the very best job you can do (with whatever project you're doing) will, for the most part, end up putting money in your pocket!

I know this may sound a little corny, but it happens everyday! It's just that some days you are the "watcher", and some days you're the "watchee"!
Stan
One of the best/better posts on this site.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

last week i found a dollar whipping ditch at a mall

then a 20 dollar on street in front of customers home

then another dollar laying on a front lawn

but today nothing
Old 07-28-2014, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmax fan View Post
last week i found a dollar whipping ditch at a mall

then a 20 dollar on street in front of customers home

then another dollar laying on a front lawn

but today nothing
I found a dollar on the way into five guys tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2014, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Darn Dogs!

First off I hit a pile of doggie doo with the weed eater and splattered all over my self.

Next a dog walked up to my mower and sniffed the dog doo on the tire and then pissed all over my mower.

Then a couple of hours I was trimming and stepped into a bog pile of doo do.

Im headed for the shower.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

finally got my mower back after 4 days at the dealer. new clutch $564.

normal cost of clutch $373 but they gave it to me for $300.

labor 4 1/2 hrs because the old clutch was stuck on the shaft and they had to take it apart and use a puller and so forth but in the end they only charged me for 3 1/2hrs of labor.