Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-2014, 01:10 AM
mwalz's Avatar
mwalz mwalz is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 821
Lost 2 Clients

So this past week I have lost 2 clients. It's a lot to me considering I only now have 12 weekly accounts to do. Not anywhere close to how many I am trying to get. I know to learn from my mistakes but I'm not sure what I did wrong here.

The first account I was scheduled to now Saturday. Which is what me and the owner agreed on. So I show up Saturday around 6:00. I had other lawns and did not get to it til then. Pull up to it and it had already been cut. Pissed me off a little. I knock on the door and she said I thought you weren't coming. I showed up on time and lost the job. They went back to their neighbor cutting it. Not sure why, didn't ask, didn't care. Hated mowing their property anyways.

2nd one. Called him today asking if I'm good to mow for him tomorrow since rain is in the forecast for Thursday and Friday. He came to me last year and said he liked how I did his neighbors lawn. Which is why I ended up with the job. So I asked about tomorrow and he said they went with someone else for mowing. Makes no sense to me unless they are doing it cheaper than I was. I was for $25, and I'm not sure how you could do it cheaper and make good profit.

I can't say I really did anything wrong in either situation. Maybe they didn't like a more professional job than the neighborhood kid. Oh well. Time to move on. One reason I can think of the the 2nd guy didn't like my job because I used a big commercial mower and maybe he prefered a push mower look. I really don't know. Chances are someone bid him lower than me. Person #1 probably feels more comfortable with his neighbor than a person he has talked to only 4 times.
__________________
My Equipment thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=425995

Goal is at least 30 regular mowing accounts for 2015!
2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-07-2014, 01:13 AM
mwalz's Avatar
mwalz mwalz is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 821
Aslo forgot to mention most people are satisfied with my work, but you can't please everyone. Still boggles my mind why I lost the jobs.
__________________
My Equipment thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=425995

Goal is at least 30 regular mowing accounts for 2015!
2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2014, 02:10 AM
ColliCut Land Mgmt ColliCut Land Mgmt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: O'Fallon, MO
Posts: 133
Without knowing more about the situation, it's hard to offer advice... But I have to ask, if you only had 14 accounts... Why are you starting properties at 6pm on Saturday?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-07-2014, 08:17 AM
STIHL GUY's Avatar
STIHL GUY STIHL GUY is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 5,176
I wouldn't work too much about it. Just focus on your current clients and make sure you are offering too of the line service to keep them happy. Clients come an go in this business and good ones are hard to come by. There's no reason to work for free just to keep a customer. A nothing think you'll learn in this business is that there are some people who you just can't make happy no matter how hard you work or how cheap you do it for the always want more for less
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-07-2014, 08:30 AM
mwalz's Avatar
mwalz mwalz is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 821
I worked at that time because I still go to school. I only have weekends to work
__________________
My Equipment thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=425995

Goal is at least 30 regular mowing accounts for 2015!
2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-07-2014, 10:07 AM
stuffdeer stuffdeer is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
I worked at that time because I still go to school. I only have weekends to work
What time do you get out of school? When I was in High School I was still able to get 5 lawns done after school on Weekdays
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 AM
guybrushthreepwood guybrushthreepwood is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: WA
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
So this past week I have lost 2 clients. It's a lot to me considering I only now have 12 weekly accounts to do. Not anywhere close to how many I am trying to get. I know to learn from my mistakes but I'm not sure what I did wrong here.

The first account I was scheduled to now Saturday. Which is what me and the owner agreed on. So I show up Saturday around 6:00. I had other lawns and did not get to it til then. Pull up to it and it had already been cut. Pissed me off a little. I knock on the door and she said I thought you weren't coming. I showed up on time and lost the job. They went back to their neighbor cutting it. Not sure why, didn't ask, didn't care. Hated mowing their property anyways.

2nd one. Called him today asking if I'm good to mow for him tomorrow since rain is in the forecast for Thursday and Friday. He came to me last year and said he liked how I did his neighbors lawn. Which is why I ended up with the job. So I asked about tomorrow and he said they went with someone else for mowing. Makes no sense to me unless they are doing it cheaper than I was. I was for $25, and I'm not sure how you could do it cheaper and make good profit.

I can't say I really did anything wrong in either situation. Maybe they didn't like a more professional job than the neighborhood kid. Oh well. Time to move on. One reason I can think of the the 2nd guy didn't like my job because I used a big commercial mower and maybe he prefered a push mower look. I really don't know. Chances are someone bid him lower than me. Person #1 probably feels more comfortable with his neighbor than a person he has talked to only 4 times.
I hate it when people are like that!
Has anyone found a good way to deal with this?
We still 21 most of our properties for this reason. People b1tch if we use anything larger.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-07-2014, 10:15 AM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
I can't say I really did anything wrong in either situation. Maybe they didn't like a more professional job than the neighborhood kid.

One reason I can think of the the 2nd guy didn't like my job because I used a big commercial mower and maybe he prefered a push mower look. I really don't know.
Or they prefer might prefer the more professional job of someone not showing up during their Saturday evening dinner hour and firing up that big commercial mower? I would be in the camp of those who looked elsewhere.

From their point of view, are they aware you're in high school and can only mow on weekends? I would assume so, but I seem to recall that you sort of blur the lines between presenting yourself as a legitimate business, but not paying taxes or having insurance.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Joe Shooner Joe Shooner is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 128
Communication can go a long way in these situations.

People prefer to buy from people they know/like. It's hard to fire a friend.

Even if you don't have time to get chummy with your clients, you want to try to see things from their perspective and then use communication to address their concerns.

For instance, calling them at noon on saturday and letting them know it might be later than usual. The outcome *may* have been the same, but you would have given yourself a better chance if you were proactive with the communication.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-07-2014, 11:33 AM
mwalz's Avatar
mwalz mwalz is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffdeer View Post
What time do you get out of school? When I was in High School I was still able to get 5 lawns done after school on Weekdays
Posted via Mobile Device
I get off at 2:30 and can start cutting by 3:00. I know what your're saying, starting next week i will try to start doing them on thursdays, fridays, and mondays. If possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Or they prefer might prefer the more professional job of someone not showing up during their Saturday evening dinner hour and firing up that big commercial mower? I would be in the camp of those who looked elsewhere.

From their point of view, are they aware you're in high school and can only mow on weekends? I would assume so, but I seem to recall that you sort of blur the lines between presenting yourself as a legitimate business, but not paying taxes or having insurance.
I know another lawn company bigger than me that is in the same position. I'm good friends with him, he wants to go LLC but can't get his business partner to agree to it. Then he would get insurance and all of that stuff. He does pay taxes, he made around 10k last year. I will pay taxes because it's the right thing to do, guess i did not clarify that. Have to find out for my state how much i need to make in order to pay taxes. as far as communication goes, i probably should have, i still think if i tell someone i will be there on Saturday, i will be there on Saturday like i said. Good customers are hard to come by, and i am very fortunate that all but 2 of my customers are good ones. They trust me, which is huge.
__________________
My Equipment thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=425995

Goal is at least 30 regular mowing accounts for 2015!
2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
accounts , lost , mower

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.08276 seconds with 7 queries