Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-15-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another thing related to this, when someone does this to you guys, what exactly do you say to them? The first time it happened i froze up, didn't know what to say. Just curious how you guys handle it.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
Another thing related to this, when someone does this to you guys, what exactly do you say to them? The first time it happened i froze up, didn't know what to say. Just curious how you guys handle it.
You can ask them why, but they'll probably BS you anyways.

It's a numbers game. It's a game of attrition. Customers will come and go. Keep the good, weed out the bad. Replace the people who move or die, etc with constant advertising. Try not to worry about things you can't control.

I've had lawns that look immaculate that people still complained about. Don't let it bother you. Some people are just wacky. We're not psychologists.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-16-2014, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

It's good you're hurt by losing the customers. It shows you still care.

Each time I lose a customer (it's rare) I take a moment to think what I could/should have done differently to keep them. After figuring out the "should have done steps" I write it down on the computer in that customers' notes. Then I move on!

Use that burn to fuel the day's marketing efforts, and hopefully you can quickly turn that lost customer into two new ones. Good luck!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Always handle it with professionalism. Thank them for the opportunity to serve them, and that if they ever need you in the future that you will be there for them. Customers will come and go. It's the nature of the beast. I know they say don't take it personal it's only business, but when it's your business it is personal. Keep your head up. You will move on to bigger and better customers.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

^^Exact way I like to leave things. Always thank them for the opportunity and that you are available if they ever need anything, I love that. Even if it ends terribly, try to end it with some class. Never know, after their new guy butchers their lawn they could come crawling back! I love when they do that. Learn to let em go as best you can.

Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 05-20-2014, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So this past weekend I went to cut the neighbors lawn of the guy I lost. He said they went with someone epse, looks like the lawn hasn't been cut in weeks. I well maybe he will come back

Goal is at least 30 regular mowing accounts for 2015!
2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
So this past weekend I went to cut the neighbors lawn of the guy I lost. He said they went with someone epse, looks like the lawn hasn't been cut in weeks. I well maybe he will come back

My mom's been in the business field for a long, long time. One of the wisest things she told me when I first started, is always remember "some customers just aren't worth it." You mentioned you hated cutting that lawn anyway. What's the reasoning behind that? Too many obstacles, toys, takes too long? Not pay well enough? That's a sign to me of you saying it might not be worth it. It sounds like they can't make up their mind what their doing, so that might just be a bad customer. I can't wait until I'm several years in business. I have several awesome clients and MANY I CAN"T WAIT FOR THE END OF THE YEAR to get rid of. I'm going to keep the money rolling in this year though, spend more on marketing next year, and hopefully repeat the process. Pick up more good ones and drop more bad ones. I have clients that own businesses, one is the owner of a children's hospital, and they have no problem understanding me from a business perspective and sending me checks, no problem understanding to pick up the things in the yards, others expect me to pick up the kids toys, trash, and still pay me less than what I need. We live and learn in business. I've made a post about it for, my first year is a learning experience, but next year I WILL BE DROPPING a handful of them customers that just aren't worth it.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually this guy I'm talking about is the property I don't mind cutting. Oh well, if he comes back, great. If not, no big deal.

Goal is at least 30 regular mowing accounts for 2015!
2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Old 05-21-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I received all my bills this past month from every customer, with the exception of one whom seemed like a cheapskate from Day 1. Today, I had him on route and just drove on by his house with it all grown up. I thought about giving him a call to collect my money, but I let it slide. I realized I underbidded his property after I took it on. He had Dallas Grass growing 3-4 times as fast as normal grass, which was cut when I started by someone else. After I started several weeks in and seen how the fast the Dallas Grass weeds were growing, I regretted my bid. Now he didn't pay me, so now maybe someone will give him an estimate of the $50.00 it deserves rather then my $35. because I sure as heck aint cutting it. Neither am I going to chase him down as a customer, because if he can't pay me once, it'll probably happen again and I don't get paid to chase down money.

Tags
accounts , lost , mower