Register free!

Old 05-07-2014, 03:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just When You Think You install Creative Landscapes & Outdoor Structures....

Someone comes up with something like this and just totally shows us all up!

(Photos came from Houzz, here.)

How do you even come up with something like that? So amazing....

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 05-07-2014, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it creativity for the sake of creativity or does it function in a meaningful way?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't be a hater just because you didn't think of it AGLA. You can appreciate another LA's work without being negative and critical, can't you? I know you got it in ya!

It functions in two ways. One, it's an absolutely beautiful back yard. Two, it serves as a functional oasis, retreat, peaceful work space. I'd LOVE it if this was my office. It would almost be worth the price.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Whenever i see something like this i wonder who thought of it and maybe more importsntly who brought it to reality. Awesome.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Don't be a hater just because you didn't think of it AGLA. You can appreciate another LA's work without being negative and critical, can't you? I know you got it in ya!

It functions in two ways. One, it's an absolutely beautiful back yard. Two, it serves as a functional oasis, retreat, peaceful work space. I'd LOVE it if this was my office. It would almost be worth the price.
Jim,
I've seen pictures of your work in other threads and honestly I'd rather look at yours than this one. Just doesn't do much for me. I think it's because if you are able to zoom in on the 2x4 arch..it looks a little rough. Not a hater , appreciate the attempt
Old 05-20-2014, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim,

I'm not a hater. I think it is cool and looks really nice and it is different. However, I look at buildings and landscapes for what activities they are designed to address and what the intended experience for those uses are in order to determine if they are effective or not.

Whimsy or innovation can certainly be a legitimate goal and I call that successful.

It is designed as an office that flows into an outdoor space. I work in an office and have worked in several different office environments. That space would not be a comfortable environment for me to function in doing my work. The deck is an odd space as well and it is obvious that putting any deck furniture would take away from the sculpture that is the structure.

All I'm saying is that it is a cool sculpture. As a sculpture it flows from the office space to the landscape. Yet I don't believe that it is successful as an office space nor as an seating space to connect to the landscape as a functioning human interacting with either the office or outdoor environment.

Great sculpture. Great demonstration of an architect, structural engineer, and building contractor. Not a great blending of human activities from indoors to outdoors for a meaningful experience in my opinion.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Right. It's not as functional for a lot of the conditions you mentioned. But I think it serves the purpose it was designed for. It's sort of a designed for a minimalist - someone who just wants the basics but wants it to be serene and peaceful and doesn't plan to add anything. Someone for whom form is more important than function. I'm not sure I could fit all my work around that small of an office either. I wish I could! I just have too much stuff around my office space. But for that kind of minimalist person, I think this is awesome.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it looks cool, art/office. Hope they don't have kids, i know for a fact my son would have already skated on it lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2014, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is not the size of the office that would freak me out. It is because it feels like an aquarium. I imagine sitting on that deck in a chair and that does not feel comfortable to me either. I do like looking at it which I believe is the main goal of this project.
Doing something for the sake of art brighten up our world. If everything was done just to be practical the world would be a duller place.
It is hard for me to call something a good design achievement if the scope of issues it resolves is simplistic no matter that they chose to make it complicated to build. Other than looking good, this does not tie the function of the office to the outdoors at a human level living in it in my opinion. Neither the indoor or outdoor space appears to be a place that most people would be comfortable in.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That is insane looking!
Posted via Mobile Device