Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMonkey View Post
I'm earning money and building a client list for the future, while doing strategic upsells. I don't have all the nice and expensive equipment as others and therefore can cut costs. Heck, I don't even burn a gallon of fuel @ $3.31 per day.

Low balling? I doubt that. If a lawn company's business strategy hinges on driving the costs up, then you already failed. This is America where everyone is going to find a cheaper way to do a better job. It's capitalism and competition. I'm sure Kmart said the same things as you when Walmart moved to town. Speaking of Walmart, shopping there sends work overseas instead of keeping jobs here in the US of A for people needing to pay their mortgage and support their families... I don't see you complaining about that.

Bottom line, if someone cheaper is going to put you out of business, then you already failed. In this economy people need to find a business plan that helps cut costs so you can pass that savings down to your customers.

That said, I also under bid on my "computer geek" business to get more clients. I'm not looking to price gouge people. If I can do the same work better for 1/2 the price, I'm going to do it.

If you seen his post, he's not up selling anything. He's making $40.00 a day from mowing lawns. If I was mowing lawns for $5.00, I PROMISE YOU, I would be working at Mc. Donalds and also doing my free lance work, rather than cutting for $5.00, whether it's a side gig or notl
Old 05-09-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Low balling? I doubt that. If a lawn company's business strategy hinges on driving the costs up, then you already failed. This is America where everyone is going to find a cheaper way to do a better job. It's capitalism and competition.
Scratch my insurance question. I have a feeling I already knew the answer. Easily my favorite part of your Craigslist ad is this:
Either way, you will save a ton of money from hiring actual lawn care companies. Win-win for both of us.
brass ones...
Old 05-09-2014, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
I could be wrong, but didn't your original thread (the deleted one) say that your SEO business wasn't doing well, so you decided to give this a whirl?
No, I never said that.

And the thread was deleted because I am not allowed to talk about my "computer geek" job, so I can't go into the ins-and-outs. Lets just say I have clients at my disposal. Right now I am looking to expand out into the lawn biz (during my extra free time).

Most of my current "computer geek" work, right now, is on autopilot. I'm earning passive income... like rent. (again, mod said I can't talk about it, so I will leave it at that).

Proud To Be American Owned and Operated
Old 05-09-2014, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to search Tonys name. You might learn something
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2014, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
No, I never said that.
After the Fiverr style title, I will mow your lawn for $5, the opening sentence of your Craigslist ad says, "I have some free time as work is slow". My apologies for not recognizing that you meant that you're swimming in passive income and therefore have time to kill.

On the flip side, I see Fiverr recommended on here all the time (graphics, seo, etc). I'll be curious to see how well-received it is when it potentially impacts their livelihoods, so you raise an interesting subject.

"Either way, you will save a ton of money from hiring actual lawn care companies."

So, if not an actual lawn care company, how do you define yourself and your business?
Old 05-09-2014, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Your apology is accepted. I just wanted to point that out to you.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Your apology is accepted. I just wanted to point that out to you.
Lol man

Like I said. Do a search.

You have a terrific idea. But it's simply not scalable at $5.

There's a few companies in Texas that do the same thing $15-20 a yard with thousands of them. Huge difference between 5-15/20
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If only we all had business's on autopilot with more money than we know what to do with so we decide to aid in the destruction of another industry. Bravo sir.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm bored. At least the guy who was going to do all online booking like the maid service thing and sub the work out had a unique idea (even if it was bad). This is just ridiculous.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
feel free to come out my way and you can sub for me, I'll even pay you $6 a lawn.
Sorry, was busy this morning and overlooked this comment. It is an interesting point and something I have already thought about.

I would sub my services to large lawncare businesses, but the problem is I will end up taking their clients. My primary goal isn't just making cash doing a quick mow job, but building a list and up-selling everything I possibly can while building a long-term-relationship. The $5 ad is my way to get my foot in the door. I have bigger ideas than just making $30 - $40 per day working a few hours on lawn care.

So I doubt you'd sub contract any work to someone looking to build their own list for their primary gain... at least I hope you wouldn't. And I certainly won't ever sign a no-compete clause.

Therefore, I don't think sub contracting would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
So, if not an actual lawn care company, how do you define yourself and your business?
I'm an entrepreneur. I dabble in everything from my primary "computer geek" job, to owning rental homes, to buying and selling musical equipment to flip for a quick buck (as I'm near Nashville -- the music city) to buying and selling cars. I also own industrial Sewer Cleaning Equipment, do plumbing work (that was family owned passed down from my grandfather). Where-ever a buck can be made, I'm there. I do it all.

I'm the kid in elementary school that use to buy .05 cent Bazooka bubble gum with his lunch money from the local gas station to flip to kids at school for .25 cents ea... that's when I was 8. I always had a sock full of cash in my top dresser drawer, not to buy pop and candy, but to invest in bigger adventures

My motto is " complacent businessmen rarely become millionaires".