Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-09-2014, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
What I tell every telemarketer who calls me...

If the product or service you're selling is as good as you say you would have no need to advertise.
If your product or service were any good you would not be calling me.
If your product or service was really worth something it is I who would be calling you!

They don't seem to get it, I rather doubt I have ever gotten through to the first one of them.

But there's your advertising, give the customer their money's worth and every dime of it, give them that and throw in some extras and keep doing that and soon you'll never be short on work. Nothing beats hard work, no amount of money, technology and fancy gizmo advertising can counter hard work, there exists no substitute, no better way to get your name out there than giving the customer every thing they asked for and then some.

Everything else...
And I mean everything else is a pile of steaming horse manure.
Speaking of horse manure...You actually believe what you're shoveling here, don't you? Every single line of your post is patently absurd, from the beginning, to the middle, to the hilarious end. It's just ponderous that you even took the time to write it up.

The only rational thing I can come up with is that you're also in Oneonta, AL.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

herler, advertising and hard work go together like corn and lima beans. If you don't mind staying small then word of mouth will do but eventually, even that fails to bring in new customers. I've seen it happen time and again. A solo op starts out, does a little advertising and then gets lucky with one customer that tells all of his friends about the great lawn guy he found. He can maintain that for a decade or more, but eventually it declines.

Mark Twain once said " Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising."

Everybody should maintain a current and up to date website. I have one and it provides a steady stream of phone calls of which, I cherry pick the hell out of. I probably accept 1 out of 4 potential jobs from phone calls to the website. My website has a specific phone number so I can easily tell where a lead was generated.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1 Do good work, nothing beats word of mouth
2 Get a sign on your truck with a phone number(cant call you if they dont have a number)
3 Put some business cards in places WHERE YOUR POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS ARE ( car wash,oil change place,where they spend disposable income in order to not do something)
4 Watch the houses along your route, see one that needs mowing leave a card on the door(mower may be in shop,guy from last year quit)
5 Talk to other LCOs in the area they may have something that they may not want to do(too big/small, out of their service area)
These may be old school tips but they work for me
Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Team up with a guy who does tree work----Fertilizing - other stuff in the same kind outdoor stuff but not a competitor. A nice looking operation goes a long way.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes start with a website. You need to be able to drive ads to it. A good website will turn the browsers into customers.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
What I tell every telemarketer who calls me...

If the product or service you're selling is as good as you say you would have no need to advertise.
If your product or service were any good you would not be calling me.
If your product or service was really worth something it is I who would be calling you!

They don't seem to get it, I rather doubt I have ever gotten through to the first one of them.

But there's your advertising, give the customer their money's worth and every dime of it, give them that and throw in some extras and keep doing that and soon you'll never be short on work. Nothing beats hard work, no amount of money, technology and fancy gizmo advertising can counter hard work, there exists no substitute, no better way to get your name out there than giving the customer every thing they asked for and then some.

Everything else...
And I mean everything else is a pile of steaming horse manure.
I have seen a lot of your posts and wandered what is wrong with this guy. I have to agree with you on this one. Speaking of telemarketers, when I receive a call from one, I ask them to hold on as I am {fill in the blank} and will be right back. I proceed to lay the phone down and leave it for an hour or so. Maybe they hold on, maybe they don't, but I don't give telemarketers the time of day.
John Deere 14PZ
Honda HRC 216
Shindaiwa T270, M231 Muliti-Tool & EB802 Stihl MS230 CBE
Echo 210s
Old 05-20-2014, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

i always carry bussniness cards in my wallet... so one day when i was pumping gas i was just starring waiting for the tank to fill up and i got a bright idea to put some of my business card on the gas pump.. people are always just starring and waiting for there tank to fill up ... why not put some cards up there and maybe theyll grab one
Old 05-20-2014, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I find high end clients and then send them a post card in a nice envelope that's been hand addressed with a hand written letter on the back of the post card. Very time consuming but it works.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2014, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're best form of advertisement is a JOB WELL DONE. The neighbors will notice.
John Deere 14PZ
Honda HRC 216
Shindaiwa T270, M231 Muliti-Tool & EB802 Stihl MS230 CBE
Echo 210s

Tags
advertiseing , mail , postcard , website