Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2014, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If Rainbird made a no-side-inlet popup body in the 6-inch size, I might be more inclined to install them.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
If Rainbird made a no-side-inlet popup body in the 6-inch size, I might be more inclined to install them.
They do .... old man.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Why? If you choose to use bottom inlet you can.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Why? If you choose to use bottom inlet you can.
Too many choices
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2014, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Seriously, dude. Don't be such a lazy ass piker. If the head breaks then dig it up and replace it the correct way. None of this unscrewing the head out of the ground and trying to screw a new one. If you're too lazy to do the job right then you should find a different profession.

And by the way, they do make an 1806 with no side inlet. From what I understand it is only sold in Florida for some reason.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, if the soil and the zone drainage allow a quickie head replacement, why bother avoiding it? Adding side inlets to high-pop heads was a dumb idea from the very beginning.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Time and time I see 4" overtaken to the point where they don't clear the grass. Of course you can by a 4" for less than a dollar and a 6 with check is closer to $8 so 99.9% will use the 4".
You Sir, speak the truth!

What are the best methods for this to be prevented (while using the 4") during both installation, and when encountering for the first time as a part of a repair job?

A permanent and reliable solution to this problem in my area would be priceless.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
You Sir, speak the truth!

What are the best methods for this to be prevented (while using the 4") during both installation, and when encountering for the first time as a part of a repair job?

A permanent and reliable solution to this problem in my area would be priceless.
Rhett you speak in terms over my head most of the time. Though thats not hard to do.

If your asking me what to do about grass out growing a 4" PU (which actually extends 3") is do 6"s on new installs. If the head is too far underground they make risers that are male adapters threaded inlet and outlet or you can dig down and do what it takes to get the head up.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Rhett you speak in terms over my head most of the time. Though thats not hard to do.
Rhett, much like Rotar speaks a language unique unto themselves. I speak Rotar fluently and T-Rhett to a degree. Don't feel bad if you don't understand either of them, it takes lots of hard work at times.

Boots on the other hand is just plain silly to listen to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2014, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

If your asking me what to do about grass out growing a 4" PU (which actually extends 3") is do 6"s on new installs. If the head is too far underground they make risers that are male adapters threaded inlet and outlet or you can dig down and do what it takes to get the head up.
Thank you Sir
I think I just simply enjoy a good & friendly Point/Counter-point argument. This is most likely why i have no friends and therefore force myself upon the irrigation forum.

Anyway, to get down to business:

In my short experience, digging up, repositioning, and finally backfilling a head is a very temporary solution. Especially in my Clay-soil region.
Here's why i think so:
A) digging up the head and backfilling it, makes the soil in that very spot less dense than the dirt elsewhere in the lawn.
B) Water then flows via path of least resistance during even the first watering post head re-positioning, and saturates the dirt where the re-positioning digging was done.
C) (In wet/saturated Clay soil) even the slightest weight (foot,mower,kid, dog) placed upon the newly re-positioned head forces it effortlessly down to where it originally rested, or worse.

What if one placed a wide brick under the head/threaded-elbow to help resist downward pressure?
Perhaps the brick might help spread the weight over a larger surface, much like that of bulldozer tracks,etc.

A college student once suggested to me that he tried burying an empty capped/pressurized coke bottle underneath his heads, but eventually the air pressed-out/ or lost, and the heads sank.....

Just thinking out loud again.

P.S. If a 4" head cost $1 and a 6" head cost $8, then wtf happened to sensable proportionality? I think Grandpa was right, Jesus must be coming back soon.

Last edited by RhettMan; 05-09-2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: P.S.S. Glad Jim Mentioned this.....the Trick to understanding my language is too read it fast as possible.