Register free!

Old 05-09-2014, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Rhett,
I know what you mean by the heads sinking. I try to compact the soil underneath as best as possible but doesn't always work long term. So if you can see it will be a recurring issue go ahead and install the 6. Takes extra digging and sometimes cutting/gluing but I almost never see 6's overtaken.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

touche, nicely played sir!
Old 05-10-2014, 04:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

8 for St Augustine, 4 for the other grasses. 4??????? The other grasses are supposed to be kept at 3/4" or lower. Never see a 4" head swallowed unless the lawn is maintained incorrectly. Even a 2" is enough if the lawn is maintained right. A lot of my irrigation problems are solved by running the correct type of mower down to the right height of cut.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-10-2014, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
Thank you Sir
I think I just simply enjoy a good & friendly Point/Counter-point argument. This is most likely why i have no friends and therefore force myself upon the irrigation forum.

Anyway, to get down to business:

In my short experience, digging up, repositioning, and finally backfilling a head is a very temporary solution. Especially in my Clay-soil region.
Here's why i think so:
A) digging up the head and backfilling it, makes the soil in that very spot less dense than the dirt elsewhere in the lawn.
B) Water then flows via path of least resistance during even the first watering post head re-positioning, and saturates the dirt where the re-positioning digging was done.
C) (In wet/saturated Clay soil) even the slightest weight (foot,mower,kid, dog) placed upon the newly re-positioned head forces it effortlessly down to where it originally rested, or worse.

What if one placed a wide brick under the head/threaded-elbow to help resist downward pressure?
Perhaps the brick might help spread the weight over a larger surface, much like that of bulldozer tracks,etc.

A college student once suggested to me that he tried burying an empty capped/pressurized coke bottle underneath his heads, but eventually the air pressed-out/ or lost, and the heads sank.....

Just thinking out loud again.

P.S. If a 4" head cost $1 and a 6" head cost $8, then wtf happened to sensable proportionality? I think Grandpa was right, Jesus must be coming back soon.
For sake of arguing

A). Always have your hand pump to pump out any excess water . If the soil can't support an angle of the head 1). Dig back more to expose more swing pipe. 2) install a marlex if needed 3). Compact more? A 5 pubs mini sledge hammer will do a heck of a job to compact .

B). Sure, but fixing a head angled 10% off increases the efficiency of the rest of that area by so many fold. . This negates any worry about what ever else it does as you have improved it so much any downfall should be a non worry . Find ways to make improvements that outweigh the pros vs cons in a time efficient cost effective manner

C) Flag the area you worked in . Visually show the homeowner, verbally explain and write out on the invoice . So if the head tilts in a month it shouldn't be your fault and you can charge your full amount for a simple repair. Not that this should be your mindset but documenting keeps you in the clear from warranty work.

Don't listen to college stupids ( oh I mean students) and keep trash out of our precious earth . Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Why? If you choose to use bottom inlet you can.
He is a democrat , he likes to be told what to do.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
8 for St Augustine, 4 for the other grasses. 4??????? The other grasses are supposed to be kept at 3/4" or lower. Never see a 4" head swallowed unless the lawn is maintained incorrectly. Even a 2" is enough if the lawn is maintained right. A lot of my irrigation problems are solved by running the correct type of mower down to the right height of cut.
8, are there 8" heads?

I understand everything you're saying and agree butt you literally live in a different world than us, at least me. In my world there are no reel mowers, lawns are not graded smoothly & etc.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
And by the way, they do make an 1806 with no side inlet. From what I understand it is only sold in Florida for some reason.
1806 bodies with check valves come with no side inlet, and you can get them from Ewing. All the 1806 bodies I stock are either SAM or SAM-PRS, with no side inlet.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
Seriously, dude. Don't be such a lazy ass piker.
Quote:
If you're too lazy to do the job right then you should find a different profession.
Mike Leary hack your account?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=1idejim;5032675]Mike Leary hack your account? Quote

Hey, we've been on the road heading north. Did I miss something?
Old 05-10-2014, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Right now in droughty California, every news channel and newspaper is telling folks to let your grass grow taller. Sounds like a good idea, but a lot of times the taller grass blocks the 4" (really 3") spray height. I'd like to put in all 6" SAM's but $$$ does matter.

In case you haven't seen it all our Freeway signs have this displayed right now.
Attached Images