Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2014, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I switched to 6" years ago, and never looked at a 4" again.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekay1622 View Post
Right now in droughty California, every news channel and newspaper is telling folks to let your grass grow taller. Sounds like a good idea, but a lot of times the taller grass blocks the 4" (really 3") spray height. I'd like to put in all 6" SAM's but $$$ does matter.

In case you haven't seen it all our Freeway signs have this displayed right now.
Amber alert for water. What will they think of next?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm all for Jessica Alba reports on the drought. If the state is gonna throw money away they mays well throw it at a pretty gal.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekay1622 View Post
Right now in droughty California, every news channel and newspaper is telling folks to let your grass grow taller. Sounds like a good idea, but a lot of times the taller grass blocks the 4" (really 3") spray height. I'd like to put in all 6" SAM's but $$$ does matter.

In case you haven't seen it all our Freeway signs have this displayed right now.
A high height of cut only works on cool season grass. With the exception of St Augustine, all other warm season grasses are at their best 1" or lower. The more leaf area presented, the more water loss occurs.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-11-2014, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
The more leaf area presented, the more water loss occurs.
While this is true, I expect to see a net overall water savings from a higher cut, not a loss, and in most cases that is what I see.

A higher cut on appropriate grasses allows for better water use efficiency and increased ability of the turf to manage water stress. As you well know, the general rule of thumb is root depth increases with height of cut, which leads to an increased soil volume from which the turf can pull nutrients and water from.

In addition, a higher cut decreases evaporative losses (soil and irrigation) and other irrigation system operational losses due to the ability to increase the irrigation interval. You try and cut a fescue at 2 inches in my area and you will be irrigating every 1-2 days .... cut at 3-4 inches, every 3-5 days.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Higher cuts are also as much about landscaper convenience as anything else. The beautiful lawns I remember from the days of old were not cut on a weekly basis.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"out here" in central tx It would seem 4" might be even more desireable than 3" on st. aug.....

this would not be the case where i grew up, on the gulf coast, as that area's st. augustine would be just fine if "scalped" weekly.

Odd place this world is.

Mr. Boots, we are now currently in the days of Old sir.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What about Rotors?
from what i've seen they often share the same "too low in the relation to grass hieght" problems as sprays do. Around many rotors you can see where the grass has been knocked down from being in the path of the rotor discharge stream.

Do yall install taller rotors also?
Old 05-11-2014, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
Yup, and in some cases, with Stream Rotors on a slope, I've used 12", since Toro is too behind the times to design a true 6" rotor.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
What about Rotors?
from what i've seen they often share the same "too low in the relation to grass hieght" problems as sprays do. Around many rotors you can see where the grass has been knocked down from being in the path of the rotor discharge stream.

Most rotors actually extend 4" vs PU-3". Still they need to clear the grass but they will fight through the grass better to some degree due to the harder stream. One sign they are too low is the dry ring around the head which is from the smaller streambeing blocked that waters closer to the head. I had a customer contact me about these spots a few years ago. Apparently the person who installed his system and was treating his lawn told him it was a "fungus" problem and was treating the lawn as such. Fungicides are expensive BTW. Within a few minutes it was apparent what the deal was. The heads were so low they weren't above grade fully extended. When we went to raise them they were barely threaded on. I'm guessing they tried to raise them unscrewing them. They were on swing so it involved a lot of digging in very hard clay/rocky soil but we got it done. Been a hero ever since.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Mr. Boots, we are now currently in the days of Old sir.
Not so far as lawn care goes. It happens that grasses did not evolve to be maintained with once-weekly cutting.