Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking at the Snapper SW20, which is the 36" hydro, seems to be for the most part the same thing as the 52" DD I used, just smaller cut. I'm not completely against the pistol grips, because thats the only type I've used (Haven't used the Exmarks with the ECS yet, so I really have no comparison). I do love the Cruise Control bar on the Ferris/Snapper though. That was probably my favorite part about using the 52" DD.

Edit: The cut height change system on the SW20 almost has me sold as far as the debate over which WB. Now the debate is more over the simplicity of using a WB vs the 30" push. Biggest concern is still the ease of loading/unloading, and gate size.

Guess when I go to the Dealer on monday, I have some demoing to do.

Last edited by JonesLawnCareWV; 05-10-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, same machine but smaller cut. I don't consider the machine a true pistol grip. True pistol grips, imo are miserable to operate all day...and I agree, the cruise bar is awesome.

Deck can be adjusted in seconds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 05-10-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My only turnoff from pistol grip was the experience I had with the 14 y/o Ferris 48" belt drive. I ran the thing for two hours and my hands hurt for days afterwards.

I know theres a lot of debate between pistol grips and ECS because supposedly you cant muscle the mower with the ECS. Others that use the ECS daily say theres no issue with regards to muscling the mower. I really do like the thoughts of the cruise control bar and the quick change deck height on the SW20. I guess now I just need to get to one of the dealers on Monday and figure out which WB I would prefer, and then try to decide between the 30 and a WB. Monthly payment will probably be the biggest factor.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Theres no comparison from 14 years ago till now. If you used a Comfort Control 52, then you should know theres no comparison. As far as belt vs hydro, there's also no comparison.

Except for gate size, there's no comparison to ease of use and efficiency of a hydro 36 compared to a 30. As far as loading into a trailer, you drive it on versus pushing it on. Gate size and extremely hilly lawns are the only reasons for going with the 30...and that 36 will last a whole lot longer and actually be worth something when you're done with it. If/when you grow, it will be an excellent backup. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Do you have a Snapper Pro dealer near you. Same company/machine as Ferris. You can get a new SP sw20
hydro for $4000. Same as the Ferris 36DD without electric start.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, seeing as he's from WV, he should probably stay away from something that uses a key to start - too much of a learning curve.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Yeah, seeing as he's from WV, he should probably stay away from something that uses a key to start - too much of a learning curve.

Ouch!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post

C'mon now. West Virginia isn't THAT bad. Not all of us, anyways. I'm an Electrical Engineering student. I could rig up a hillbilly West Virginian starting system that way I don't need a key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Theres no comparison from 14 years ago till now. If you used a Comfort Control 52, then you should know theres no comparison. As far as belt vs hydro, there's also no comparison.

Except for gate size, there's no comparison to ease of use and efficiency of a hydro 36 compared to a 30. As far as loading into a trailer, you drive it on versus pushing it on. Gate size and extremely hilly lawns are the only reasons for going with the 30...and that 36 will last a whole lot longer and actually be worth something when you're done with it. If/when you grow, it will be an excellent backup. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I figured the 14 y/o Ferris was just worn out and thats why it was so tiresome to use. Still don't know how I'd feel pulling those pistol grips all day on a belt drive. Still have read that even new belt drives are tiresome on the hands.

Comparison about loading was the fact that I don't have a ramp gate. I would have to purchase ramps, and deal with ramps at every location. The 30, I could just prop the front wheels up onto the trailer, then lift the back portion up and roll it in. It's not a major issue, I just have to make the decision if I want to deal with ramps at every yard until I can get a trailer with a ramp gate. Mildly concerned about performance of a WB on some of the sloped properties that I have. Mainly because my only experience with a WB was on flat ground. Guess thats just a learning curve to take on.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can load the 36 the same way as a 30

Pistol grips aren't that big of a deal. They aren't hard to use or really tiring to be honest. People exaggerate belt drives on this site tremendously. If they were that bad they wouldn't still be brought or produced

I'm an ecs fan. And yeah they're easy to "man handle"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So i was looking over the dimensions of the SW20. Now I have problems. It would fit my 4x8 trailer, width wise. But its 6 feet in total length, leaving only 2 feet in the rear of the trailer. I could fit my 22" sideways behind it. Then I have no room for trimmer, backpack blower, gas cans, or bags of grass. Seems like a new trailer is the big factor in whether or not I get a walk-behind. Current trailer has no real sturdy method of attaching trimmer/blower racks. As of now, everything lays in the bottom of the trailer. 24" high sides keeps everything in without fear of something sliding out.

Oh the perils.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Belt drives are cheap. If they weren't there would be few sold.
Posted via Mobile Device