Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-10-2014, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesLawnCareWV View Post
So i was looking over the dimensions of the SW20. Now I have problems. It would fit my 4x8 trailer, width wise. But its 6 feet in total length, leaving only 2 feet in the rear of the trailer. I could fit my 22" sideways behind it. Then I have no room for trimmer, backpack blower, gas cans, or bags of grass. Seems like a new trailer is the big factor in whether or not I get a walk-behind. Current trailer has no real sturdy method of attaching trimmer/blower racks. As of now, everything lays in the bottom of the trailer. 24" high sides keeps everything in without fear of something sliding out.

Oh the perils.
How do you pull your trailer?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GMC Envoy. SUV. Loaded. Leather interior, perfectly clean carpets. I've already done more damage to the cargo area of that thing than I wanted to. I used to have a single cab Chevy colorado, but I couldn't stand taking my 2 y/o son anywhere in it. Needed something that had a back seat, and couldn't find any trucks that werent 150k+ miles, rusted to pieces, or weren't going to break the bank after the truck trade-in.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Put the seats down, put a tarp in it and put the stuff in there. You learn to make due with what you have until you become more successful and get what you need to upgrade. You either want it bad enough and sacrifice to be successful or you don't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Obviously I know theres a large difference between a 30" push and a 36" walk-behind. Nowhere in this post was I attempting to compare apples to apples and say one is better than the other. I was simply looking for suggestions on which I should consider with reference to my concerns - I.E. scalping, change of height, gate widths, etc. As for the backing up, my point was that it would be much easier to pull a 180lb 30" in reverse compared to a 550lb "reverse assist" walk-behind or switching gears 20 times to get in and out of small cubbies and such at clients houses. …...
No.

Pulling a 180 lb mower around backwards IS NOT easier than pulling a 470 lb (what a scag 36 belt weighs) mower with reverse assist around.

1) you can slap the gears around with your knee.
2) you most go forward under DUAL wheel power anyway
3) the wheels are much bigger and filled with air and therefor the effort and control are entirely different
4) slight squeeze on the controls puts the whole thing in neutral and you give it a bit of a tug and it's backed up or changed directions.

Only really need reverse assist if it's facing down hill and you need to back up.

The difference between a 36 belt and a 'push mower' is you actually have to learn how to use the 36 properly.
Yes, I hear the fact you have used a ferris belt drive before, but your statements you make reveal that you never actually were taught HOW to operate it.
Mostly, you set a speed you are going to go, and then never touch the gears again, Unless you are needing reverse assist (what maybe once a day) or are transitioning to/from wide open cutting and close in detail, and even then it's a slap of the knee.

Sure for thousands more the hydro is better. for even more thousands the floating deck is better.

But once you are comparing 6000 bucks to 2000 bucks you can't say "The $3800 machine is terrible, because it won't do what the $6000 machine will do, but I will consider a $2000 machine that won't do half the work the $3800 machine will do"

That logic is oddly confusing.

IF you want to mow lawns and you want to have all your options open to you, in every aspect…yes… a 36 inch, floating deck hydro is the best.
IS it worth 3 times the price?
Without a doubt, EASILY yes.

It it worth spending a little more than your allotted budget.
Again with out a doubt yes.

But you could get inside your budget with a fixed deck 36" hydro.
And learn the height adjustment system… or spend maybe… 1500 more to get a floater.

DO NOT buy an Exmark walk behind however, because they are 20% more expensive than other brands…..

Ive owned hydro walk behinds for over ten years and never needed any dealer service… I wouldn't spend outside your budget just because a dealer is closer to you… who says that guy is in business a few years from now?

Im in Alaska. My Ferris Dealer is in Minnesota.
Hasn't caused me any serious issues. My Ferris Evos are in their third season.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Realistically, I could go buy a new trailer monday if I decided to get the walkbehind. But I'd definitely be pinching pennies for awhile. My fiancee, son, and I live with my parents (make all the jokes you want). I pay for our groceries and other things we need (toiletries, etc) since we don't pay any sort of rent or anything to stay with my parents. I'd just hate to pull the trigger on the trailer, be low on funds for awhile, and run the risk of having some ungodly expense to cover (say if my envoy broke down or something of that sort).
Old 05-10-2014, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
My only turnoff from pistol grip was the experience I had with the 14 y/o Ferris 48" belt drive. I ran the thing for two hours and my hands hurt for days afterwards.

I know theres a lot of debate between pistol grips and ECS because supposedly you cant muscle the mower with the ECS. Others that use the ECS daily say theres no issue with regards to muscling the mower. I really do like the thoughts of the cruise control bar and the quick change deck height on the SW20. I guess now I just need to get to one of the dealers on Monday and figure out which WB I would prefer, and then try to decide between the 30 and a WB. Monthly payment will probably be the biggest factor.
Pistol grips on the belt drives weren't as bad as the pistol grips on the early hydros. springs were heavier and the throw/distance on the squeeze longer.

The Ferris DD is the way to go,

with that in mind snapper sw20 being cheaper is a great option especially if there is a snapper dealer closer than the ferris.

Im not understanding the load/unload issues.
30" still needs a damn ramp unless you want to dead lift 180 lbs twice per lawn???
Old 05-10-2014, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post

But once you are comparing 6000 bucks to 2000 bucks you can't say "The $3800 machine is terrible, because it won't do what the $6000 machine will do, but I will consider a $2000 machine that won't do half the work the $3800 machine will do"
If you have come to believe thats the sort of comparison that I'm making, I think you've taken what I've said out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Pistol grips on the belt drives weren't as bad as the pistol grips on the early hydros. springs were heavier and the throw/distance on the squeeze longer.

The Ferris DD is the way to go,

with that in mind snapper sw20 being cheaper is a great option especially if there is a snapper dealer closer than the ferris.

Im not understanding the load/unload issues.
30" still needs a damn ramp unless you want to dead lift 180 lbs twice per lawn???
Wouldn't be a dead lift. Prop the front wheels up, then lift the back. Use of a fulcrum reduces work required. Wouldn't be anywhere near a 180lb dead lift.

I do appreciate the information/suggestions though
Old 05-10-2014, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No offense but if I were you I'd buy the cheapest most reliable mower you can find. After reading your posts, IMO there's way much thinking and way too many excuses for you to be in this business for the long run. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My personal opinion dealing with WV hills day in and out.... a 36" hydro... NOT a belt drive.