Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-12-2014, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a mulch kit on my Ferris 36 and the baffles stay in place. I just don't have the cover on. I made a homemade plate and it works great. Most mowers I see have an OCDC or homemade plate rather than the cover installed...and bagging works great with a mulch kit. Other than gates and extreme hills/tight spaces there's nothing a 21 or 30 can do that a 36 can't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
I have a mulch kit on my Ferris 36 and the baffles stay in place. I just don't have the cover on. I made a homemade plate and it works great. Most mowers I see have an OCDC or homemade plate rather than the cover installed.
Posted via Mobile Device

The "cover" (if you mean the part the blocks the side opening) is part of the baffle - it's not a separate piece.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I just went to the Snapper Pro website. They now offer a 32" WB. It's belt drive. If other companies follow suit the 30" will be history.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think your smoking something good. What makes you think some of us would swap the 30's for a 32" belt driven when half of us wouldn't swap for a 36" belt driven or hydro either. Not to bash a 36" at all, their good machines and each machine has their own place and some have their own preference. But on a serious note, if some of us wouldn't swap our 30's for a belt driven 36 or even 34, then we sure wouldn't swap it for a belt driven 32. I have a metro 36 that never even gets used since I picked up the 30. My neighbor has a belt driven 32" has been in business many more years than I have, and I can walk circles around him when it comes to mow time in our 3,000 foot lawns with 10+ tree's scattered through each lawn, a concrete walk path, garden beds in the back, ac units. Both of our houses have an area on the side of the house that go in this shape ] with about a 3 foot deep area. You should see him trying to maneuver the walk behind around the ac unit and into that area. Don't get us 30's wrong. I heard many talk about "hills" heck this is Texas. Home of the dry flat land. There is a property across the street that has a drainage ditch with a drive way that over see's it. You should see me zip down the sides of the ditch, pull the mower back a tad, and throw it around when it gets to the concrete overhang where you would get stuck with the walk behind. No thank you on the 32" walk behind. But as I said, to each of their own, each machine has it's own place. In my routes the 30 gets used on 58 of my 62 small residential lawns. I've timed many and know what's efficient for me. But that's not to say efficient for me, might not be for someone else. We had rain coming down the whole day today thank god, in the middle of the day everybody was out, this afternoon after the ground got soaked I didn't see no-one out with their walk behinds. A few push mowers and my 30" we're still running. The 30" with brand new blades on in the rain was leaving cuts to where you couldn't even tell I was there, no ruts, clean cuts. I did run into an issue with the 30" when it's raining cats outside though. The deck height slips which is no good, have to come up with a remedy for that. If I have it on 4.5" it slips down to 4". If I have it on 4 it slips down to 3.5". If I have it on 2" it slips down to 1.5". Kind of sucks, but I'm going to look into it and see what I can come up with.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I installed mine years ago so I gotta admit I dont remember what all comes with the kit...but I have zero issue without using the mulch kit cover and using a chute blocker...but I don't have any mowers with the mulch kit covers installed.

I'm also most likely less particular as long as the cut is good and the setup works...and more so because if I thought I needed to use a 21 or 30 as a primary mower I'd quit first.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 05-12-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I think your smoking something good. What makes you think some of us would swap the 30's for a 32" belt driven when half of us wouldn't swap for a 36" belt driven or hydro either. Not to bash a 36" at all, their good machines and each machine has their own place and some have their own preference. But on a serious note, if some of us wouldn't swap our 30's for a belt driven 36 or even 34, then we sure wouldn't swap it for a belt driven 32. I have a metro 36 that never even gets used since I picked up the 30. My neighbor has a belt driven 32" has been in business many more years than I have, and I can walk circles around him when it comes to mow time in our 3,000 foot lawns with 10+ tree's scattered through each lawn, a concrete walk path, garden beds in the back, ac units. Both of our houses have an area on the side of the house that go in this shape ] with about a 3 foot deep area. You should see him trying to maneuver the walk behind around the ac unit and into that area. Don't get us 30's wrong. I heard many talk about "hills" heck this is Texas. Home of the dry flat land. There is a property across the street that has a drainage ditch with a drive way that over see's it. You should see me zip down the sides of the ditch, pull the mower back a tad, and throw it around when it gets to the concrete overhang where you would get stuck with the walk behind. No thank you on the 32" walk behind. But as I said, to each of their own, each machine has it's own place. In my routes the 30 gets used on 58 of my 62 small residential lawns. I've timed many and know what's efficient for me. But that's not to say efficient for me, might not be for someone else. We had rain coming down the whole day today thank god, in the middle of the day everybody was out, this afternoon after the ground got soaked I didn't see no-one out with their walk behinds. A few push mowers and my 30" we're still running. The 30" with brand new blades on in the rain was leaving cuts to where you couldn't even tell I was there, no ruts, clean cuts. I did run into an issue with the 30" when it's raining cats outside though. The deck height slips which is no good, have to come up with a remedy for that. If I have it on 4.5" it slips down to 4". If I have it on 4 it slips down to 3.5". If I have it on 2" it slips down to 1.5". Kind of sucks, but I'm going to look into it and see what I can come up with.
Sounds like you have your efficiency times down flat. Im the same way. May I ask how many minutes faster is the 30 vs 21 on a 3000 sq ft lawn?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Sounds like you have your efficiency times down flat. Im the same way. May I ask how many minutes faster is the 30 vs 21 on a 3000 sq ft lawn?
Posted via Mobile Device

Haven't compared the 30" to a 21". I have 22" 's, no 21's. I haven't even did the timing on the 22", because the 22" never gets used since I picked up the 30". I would say the 30" is quite a bit faster, many people claim it's "heavy" or "heavier", but I can tell you day in and day out, the 30" feels and maneuvers just as if it we're a 22" only a wider cut. It feels and acts like a push mower. I used the 22" once the other day along a side walk area because it was so un-level the 30" scalps it, and you can tell a difference in weight when you jump from the 30" to the 22" back to back, other then that, on a daily use, you can't tell a difference in weight or maneuverability, no matter how much the book says it weights. I can come up to a sidewalk or brick edge, pop the front end up, and drive it right over and right off just like a push mower. I can corner around the house at full speed just like a small push mower. I guess I would say it's a balanced machine that doesn't make it "feel" heavy. On a wide open lawn, I would take the widest mower all day. But on a small 3,000 square foot like most of my small residential, I would take the 30" all day.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I just went to the Snapper Pro website. They now offer a 32" WB. It's belt drive. If other companies follow suit the 30" will be history.
Posted via Mobile Device
32" wb has been around a while
pretty sure both exmark and scag still offer them
Old 05-13-2014, 04:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Haven't compared the 30" to a 21". I have 22" 's, no 21's. I haven't even did the timing on the 22", because the 22" never gets used since I picked up the 30". I would say the 30" is quite a bit faster, many people claim it's "heavy" or "heavier", but I can tell you day in and day out, the 30" feels and maneuvers just as if it we're a 22" only a wider cut. It feels and acts like a push mower. I used the 22" once the other day along a side walk area because it was so un-level the 30" scalps it, and you can tell a difference in weight when you jump from the 30" to the 22" back to back, other then that, on a daily use, you can't tell a difference in weight or maneuverability, no matter how much the book says it weights. I can come up to a sidewalk or brick edge, pop the front end up, and drive it right over and right off just like a push mower. I can corner around the house at full speed just like a small push mower. I guess I would say it's a balanced machine that doesn't make it "feel" heavy. On a wide open lawn, I would take the widest mower all day. But on a small 3,000 square foot like most of my small residential, I would take the 30" all day.
just because the other guy is in business a while doesn't mean he's doing it right.

ever seen anyone whose NEVER been shown how to tie shoe laces? Does MORE time doing the same thing improve anything much, without actually learning how?
Old 05-13-2014, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I totally agree with this. Others have claimed this mower is heavy, and to that I say it IS....heavier than a 21. My wife has used the exmark 30 and helped me mow 2 lawns back to back using the 30. She did mention it was heavy, but it is compared to when she used my Honda HRC. Heavy is a relative thing. After using the exmark 30 for a few weeks, it feels "normal" and then when I grab the Honda HRC, it feels light now...LOL.

Congrats to the original poster on the new mower. I hope it serves you well. Save the coin now as you build the biz, and let the mower make the $$$ for you!

Tpeg, to answer your question about the 30 efficiency, I did back to back testing comparisons using specific lawns as tests. Lets say property A took 1 hour to edge trim, mow and blow. I saved about 8 to 10 minutes using the 30 on that same property. Tested this on a few other yards, and it ranged from 5 to 15 minutes of time saved on a "1 hr" property when I used my Honda HRC.

and im not sure if that last part of your post is aimed at me or not, but Im just going to say this....I never claim that there is a right or wrong to what Im doing, or what your saying. I am just doing it the way that I feel is RIGHT for ME at this moment based on my customers, my trailer layout, and cash on hand.

Is there a right or wrong to putting pants on in the morning? I put them on one leg at a time. Maybe your able to jump into yours with both feet at once....more power to ya if your able to do it. No right or wrong to it, but maybe you will want to try the one leg at a time method sometime....LOL

Peace out!
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower

Last edited by rbljack; 05-13-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

whoops, sorry, Tpeg wasn't asking about the efficiency it was a meant to be in response to GMLC's question. Sorry I cant give ya a specific on a 3000 sq foot lawn...not really sure. I just discovered that the 30 was faster when I switched over from the HRC to the exmark. I write down how long im at each property along with my mileage log, and After a few weeks on the route using the new mower last year, I noticed the time savings at each location, and started doing the comparisons.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower