Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2014, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To add to this, I'm going to do some further testing on the weekends in the neighborhood with the neighbor lawns over the next two weeks between the 22" and the 30". I suspect the 36 > Faster then the 30 on very open lawns. The 30 > 36 on small tight lawns with lot's of obstacles, corners, fence lines, flower beds, etc. And I suspect both the 36 and 30 > the 22" on all lawns. I'm going to start timing each and every one of the neighbors lawns this week. Funny thing, my neighbor must have got tired of seeing me mow all the neighbors lawns in the neighborhood. I seen he painted an old wooden sign and put on his privacy fence that says "Low Cost Lawn Care 512-xxx-xxx.) Now I'm thinking about putting a sign in the yard or on my privacy fence that says "Expensive High Quality Lawn Care 512-xxx-xxxx.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Picked it up today. Only had a chance to mow my own lawn that only had about 4 days of growth on it. Love it already. Definitely cut time down, and mulched beautifully at full speed. Was easy getting used to the transmission bail. Love the spring system to hold on the discharge chute/mulch plate. Always hate when the discharge shoot falls off, definitely wont happen with this one!
Old 05-18-2014, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats man! Hope to hear its making ya a bunch of money this year! Now if we could just get some rain down here in texas....sigh. Im tired of mowing dirt fields with some grass spots in them. Seriously, its getting that bad!
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 05-18-2014, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
Congrats man! Hope to hear its making ya a bunch of money this year! Now if we could just get some rain down here in texas....sigh. Im tired of mowing dirt fields with some grass spots in them. Seriously, its getting that bad!

Where are you in Texas? We got four inches finally in two days last week! And it's so dry we're already irrigating again!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Here's what I did after mowing my first season with a 21" Toro Super Recycler.

I bought a 36" Ferris dual hydro. I installed a mulch kit on it almost immediately.
(also, I have no experience with a 30" mower, but I DO want one to add to the arsenal)

All the tough guys will tell you you don't need a hydro and that "you don't need to back up". None of them have ever cut one of my lawns. I need to back up all the time. Even if I didn't, why would I want to PULL a mower backwards when I can gently squeeze the levers an eighth of an inch and back that MOFO up as fast, or as slow as I so choose?
Buy what you want though - that's what I did. I took all the info I could find on the pros/cons of hydro vs belt and decided that EASE OF USE trumps every other consideration. You may feel otherwise - no big deal - we're all different.

Some random thoughts on MY purchase 36" walk behind...

Pros:
The best thing about the walk behind was that it will DEVOUR grass that a 21" mower would choke on.
It's faster than a "push mower" in both ground speed and width of cut.
It's built to last.
It allows me access to back yards with gates.
It will get you chicks. Well, I can't guarantee it, but I DID once have a girl say "I LIKE your big mower", with a mischievous grin, so...

Cons:
All of my lawns are on the small side as a result of having started out using a 21" mower. I couldn't initially use my 36" mower on just about ANY of them using the side discharge because I was blowing clippings EVERYWHERE they SHOULDN'T be. No matter what direction I pointed it, I had crap going where it shouldn't be - the mowing areas were just not large enough to side discharge.

For lawns with lots of irregular humps and dips, and banks, and twists and turns, the larger deck (even if it's just a 36) creates a challenge to prevent scalping. I'm in western PA, so there are hills EVERYWHERE and most lawns are NOT smooth.

After installing the mulch kit, it's almost useless in heavy, spring growth - the grass just clumps and makes a mess because it's trying to mulch too much grass. It's not like you can just "switch" to a bagger either- the mulch baffles are bolted on, so if the grass is too high to mulch, I need to drag out the 21" mower and bag it.

Lawns that get soft when wet can be problematic for a heavy mower.

30"? 36"? Ultimately, it depends on the lawns you cut/intend to cut.

Ideally we would all have a variety of mowers at our disposal for any given situation, but when you're starting out, you sort of tend to try and get something that can be versatile.
My 36" walk behind is PERFECT for some of my lawns and it SUCKS for others.
I'm pretty sure the same could be said for any mower including the 30" mower that I plan to eventually get just to give me another tool to use.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
I couldn't agree more with the 36 ferris and get the dual because in the future you can add a sulky (or what ever the proper name is for those things.)
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 05-20-2014, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just came home with a 30" Toro to compliment the 36" Ferris.

I bought the homeowner model (TimeMaster) as opposed to the commercial Turfmaster for a variety of reasons that apply to me personally - if things were different, I'd prefer the commercial unit. It's not a "main mower", so I'm hoping it will work out for me, and give me another option to choose from.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a good WB mower, it all depends on if you have to go the route of new and build credit I can see getting the 30 but???? I bought a Lesco 36 Hydro for 1150 with velkie and it only had 150 hours on it and it will shred a 30 push mower.

In 36 a belt and fixed deck is tough to beat, if buying new I would only go hydro and floating deck if buying a bigger cut than 36.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Get a good WB mower, it all depends on if you have to go the route of new and build credit I can see getting the 30 but???? I bought a Lesco 36 Hydro for 1150 with velkie and it only had 150 hours on it and it will shred a 30 push mower.

In 36 a belt and fixed deck is tough to beat, if buying new I would only go hydro and floating deck if buying a bigger cut than 36.

I was a firm believer in the 30" due to the fact with the old 36 I picked up a long time ago, never got used because I couldn't get it through the gates and couldn't fit the 30 and 36 in the truck, so the 30" just became an overall more versatile machine. This past week I picked up a 34" Gravely with the sulky, I'm squeezing it through every gate, and honestly couldn't be happier. I did have to buy a trailer, but it was all worth it in the end. My legs are saved and I still have energy at the end of the day. I still use the 30" on smaller lawns and the 34" on nearly everything else now. I do have a few lawns that have crazy landscapes in the back and I've had to use the 30" numerous other times. I would still say, some lawns I prefer the 30, anything else, it sits and the walk behind always comes off the trailer. I have to honestly admit, after coming off a 30" to a 34" with a sulky made a huge difference for me. Don't get me wrong, I love my 30 though!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OakNut, I just read your post and it seems dead on to me.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
OakNut, I just read your post and it seems dead on to me.
The smallest mower I have ever needed was a 36, I can see a 32 and 34 but I would never pay 4 or 5 grand for a mower that only cuts 36 inches of grass. That is why I always look for a deal used over time on a small WB.

If I was doing cutting where a 36 was used a lot I can see buying a new hydro.