Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2014, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

First year and I'm doing great! But I want to grow and need help!

Hey everyone, I'm 19 and this is my first real year. I have about 24 accounts and do about 15 a week. This takes me about 1 1/2 days. My equipment is, well, I'll just tell you what I've got lol. I have a pretty well used toro 21", husqvarna 323 weedeater, Ryobi edger, husq. 145bt blower, 125bvx, battery hedge trimmers, 4x10 single axle trailer with 4 foot sides, and a 2003 f-150. I've bought everything as I needed it, except the truck I already had. I plan to end the year with 40-50 accounts and be doing at least 30 per week which would take 2 1/2 days with my current equipment. I am going to make a business plan this off season, after getting my first season under my belt, I'll know what is more attainable and realistic when making a business plan. I plan in being mostly residential for next year and then getting into some commercial accounts. I want to hire at least one helper next year and depending on where I'm at by the end of this year, I'll know if I can afford a full time or part time helper, my goal is 2 full time helpers though and me running with them as a 3 man crew. I already am planning on getting a newer truck, a new enclosed trailer since I don't have a place to store equipment, a tandem axle open trailer and equipment to match my needs for next year. I have some plans for advertising such as lettering for both trucks, wrap or letter for trailer depending on price, hoa newsletters, business cards on doors, ofcourse I'll get word of mouth too, plus a lot of networking. I expect I can reach over 150 accounts and manage them properly while still mowing with a crew. Doing at least 100-120 per week. If you've read all this and can think of ways to help me grow, or if I might have left anything crucial out if this. Let me know, I'm all ears. Also I've been saving for large down payments on everything that I can't pay cash for. Oh and I left out something, a zturn is not a necessity, most of my yards would be 30" and under and a 36" floating deck hydro with velke would be the biggest I could use.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2014, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would be looking at purchasing a 36 or 48 WB or stander before hiring anyone. If your mowing that many accounts with a push mower a stander or WB is going to do wonders for your productivity. How small are your yards? I would avoid hiring people and focus on squiring larger better paying accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2014, 06:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
I would be looking at purchasing a 36 or 48 WB or stander before hiring anyone. If your mowing that many accounts with a push mower a stander or WB is going to do wonders for your productivity. How small are your yards? I would avoid hiring people and focus on squiring larger better paying accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking into a 36 with a floating deck and hydro drive. That mower will be able to be used on a majority of my yards.

I have a decent mixture of yards, about 9 that only a 21" could do, and the rest could be done with a 36". A 48" or larger would only be able to work on about 4 of them.

Larger more profitable accounts would be nice, but I have been able to get a lot of the small to medium sized lots that are right next door to each other. A majority of my lawns are almost or right next to each other, making them pretty profitable. My goal is to basically aquire entire neighborhoods like this. I can get half the homes in an hoa and make the same money I would make if I was doing the entire hoa at a discounted price.

Of course I wouldn't hire people unless I needed too, but my goal like I said above is to have around 150 accounts and doing over a 100 of them each week. If I reach that goal I would need to hire at least one full time helper and maybe a part time guy to make sure and stay ahead.

My goal in the next 5 years is to have 2-3 3 man crews and a another 3 man crew, if possible, to do any other landscaping work. At this point I could fill in if needed and I can focus on growing and responding to any customer needs. While slowly turning into the commercial side of the business along the way.
Posted via Mobile Device