Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2014, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusive View Post
To each their own. The faster I am able to finish a house the more money I make therefore having 4 guys speeds up the process. I use to run with 3 but 4 is faster.
No, I was just asking.

If you have 4 people that means you have to have more clients as opposed to 3.

Faster is obviously a given.

I'm more interested in the math. In my hillbilly head it just doesn't seem to make sense dollars and cents wise.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-15-2014, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
No, I was just asking.

If you have 4 people that means you have to have more clients as opposed to 3.

Faster is obviously a given.

I'm more interested in the math. In my hillbilly head it just doesn't seem to make sense dollars and cents wise.
Let me ask you a question. How many clients do you service? Are you a solo op? How long does your average house take you?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Let me ask you a question. How many clients do you service? Are you a solo op? How long does your average house take you?
Yeah, I'm solo. No 1 property takes longer than 45-50 minutes.

Why are you getting so defensive? I seriously wanted to know how the math worked. More employees means more sales need to be made. It seems, from a monetary standpoint, less efficient. Most people say a 4 man crew is not the best. I imagine it's because of the money/sales aspect.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-15-2014, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm solo. No 1 property takes longer than 45-50 minutes.

Why are you getting so defensive? I seriously wanted to know how the math worked. More employees means more sales need to be made. It seems, from a monetary standpoint, less efficient. Most people say a 4 man crew is not the best. I imagine it's because of the money/sales aspect.
Im not getting defensive. I asked those questions so I can see where your mindset is. Without going into too much detail. Depending on the season we average anywhere from 3.5-5 houses per hour whereas with 3 guys we were doing 3-4 houses per hour. As far as sales go yes more sales need to be made, but I want to grow my company and continue to expand.

How many properties do you maintain?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Im not getting defensive. I asked those questions so I can see where your mindset is. Without going into too much detail. Depending on the season we average anywhere from 3.5-5 houses per hour whereas with 3 guys we were doing 3-4 houses per hour. As far as sales go yes more sales need to be made, but I want to grow my company and continue to expand.

How many properties do you maintain?
It fluctuates from 28-32 a week. I'll work 3 days a week. Some weeks I'll do extra stuff if a customer wants.

I have 10 other snow plow only commercial properties. All I do is plow in the winter.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-15-2014, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No matter how you slice or dice it nothing beats a Solo operation for productivity. Heck a 10 minute drive with 4 fellers equates to 40 minutes, and drive time will abousoutely increase the larger the crew you have.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
It fluctuates from 28-32 a week. I'll work 3 days a week. Some weeks I'll do extra stuff if a customer wants.

I have 10 other snow plow only commercial properties. All I do is plow in the winter.
See that works for you but the downside is you are restricted on your income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
No matter how you slice or dice it nothing beats a Solo operation for productivity. Heck a 10 minute drive with 4 fellers equates to 40 minutes, and drive time will abousoutely increase the larger the crew you have.
Not true because even though you are the boss you still have to factor in your pay and that drive time is down time whether you have 1 guy or 4 guys in the truck. With more guys servicing a property it allows you to get more houses down per hour to and extent.When I price work drive time is factored into the price and we keep our drive time to a minimum, but nothing beats having multiple houses at one stop.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do mostly residential and went to 3 guys this year. I'm starting to think that a 2 man crew works best in my area. I could always send two trucks to the larger commercial jobs.

My. Problem is I had last years crew leader quit so I essentially have an entirely new crew. They got thrown to the fire! I'm doing my best to train them on how to do things the way I want them, but it's different training one on one vs with the crew in place.

I've seen the complaints increase lately. They are missing some trimming and detail things. Let's see how many times I have to tell them. This isn't a complicated job and I pray they get the hang of it!

Heck I even hired a couple of guys to help me go around and prune the last 2 days. Part could be I'm running them too hard but It will be almost impossible to find an experienced crew leader this late in the year.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Member

This is a great example of diminishing returns.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I'm just not seeing how 4 guys to a crew could be worth it. Unless, you want to sacrifice money for convenience. I do that often. I can understand that, at least.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds