Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Each of our 3 Service techs carry Hunter, Rainbird, & WeatherMatic remotes on there trucks.

I personally carry a commercial Hunter Roam-XL, Rainbird, WeatherMatic, and Hunter Decoder Remote with me all the time. The amount of time they save is tremendous.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven2510 View Post
Each of our 3 Service techs carry Hunter, Rainbird, & WeatherMatic remotes on there trucks.

I personally carry a commercial Hunter Roam-XL, Rainbird, WeatherMatic, and Hunter Decoder Remote with me all the time. The amount of time they save is tremendous.
Maybe you can explain how the customer saves money while you are making more money using a remote.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I personally carry the Hunter Roam and the Rainbird LIMR. 95% of all controllers I come across are one of these 2 brands. I come across the random toro, but haven't seen a new toro installed in a home in probably 15 years here as TORO seemed to stop repping this area a while ago.

The hunter roam remote is likely the 2nd best $125.00 I EVER spent on an irrigation tool (besides my meter). I couldn't imagine being without it and it actually has a fair signal on medium size commercial jobs. Great signal on standard residential (1 acre or less) and extremely good response time. Buy the package, get a smart port, butt splice some alligator clips to the smart port and you are hooked up to most hunter controllers within 30 seconds.

Rainbird LIMR, blah... Yes, I would probably buy another one simply for the sake of needing it. The quick connects are nice I guess. Response time is horrible, Price is horrible, It's janky and you here the batteries bouncing around the whole time you use it. It goes into sleep mode relatively quickly, yet somehow it trounces batteries at 5 times the speed of the little hunter remote. It has far too many steps involved for a simple residential/small commercial remote and it loves to say "retry" at least once every time you tell it to turn on or off a zone. This can be very trying when you need a quick response. It's also tremendously oversized for no real reason, because it certainly isn't for any beneficial reason in signal strength. THAT SAID, there is really no substitute for being able to stay in one spot and run tests without having to sprint back and forth to the controller. While reviewing systems or going over them with customers.

I don't own a rainmaster, Im not really into large commercial work. I thought about it, but couldn't justify pigtailing the 350 new customers I take on each year. If I were on large commercial sites regularly, it would probably be a no brainer.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLight View Post

Rainbird LIMR, blah... Yes, I would probably buy another one simply for the sake of needing it. The quick connects are nice I guess. Response time is horrible, Price is horrible, It's janky and you here the batteries bouncing around the whole time you use it. It goes into sleep mode relatively quickly, yet somehow it trounces batteries at 5 times the speed of the little hunter remote. It has far too many steps involved for a simple residential/small commercial remote and it loves to say "retry" at least once every time you tell it to turn on or off a zone. This can be very trying when you need a quick response. It's also tremendously oversized for no real reason, because it certainly isn't for any beneficial reason in signal strength. THAT SAID, there is really no substitute for being able to stay in one spot and run tests without having to sprint back and forth to the controller. While reviewing systems or going over them with customers.
Great assessment. The LIMP is crap. We own two. Rarely used. RB has tried to make a few remotes, and they all turn out to be crap. Not sure why they can't get it right.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thought about buying the rb contraption for the convenience over a pigtail. Glad I didnt.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tom View Post
Thought about buying the rb contraption for the convenience over a pigtail. Glad I didnt.
The TRC unit that is compatible for RB, is far better than the LIMR. More expensive, but less aggravating.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

i have the rain bird remote as well, and have the same feelings, i love to hate it. the batteries jangle around and lose connection, having to restart the remote and acquire signal. ive folded up a small piece of AL can to 'tighten it up' between the batteries it seems to help.

goes through batteries like crazy, sometimes it works flawless, other times it was more of a pain to wait on it, than to go back to the controller.

id say a very large percentage of our customers have some era of esp controller, even some of the old ones that have a remote port, which is kinda cool i guess. I carry extra pigtails and if im working on the controller ill go a head and install one. but its easy enough to plug one up and set it on top of the controller to go thru the system.

death to any controller without a test cycle function... at least some of the older controllers i can set a progam B into a test cycle pretty quick...
Old 05-14-2014, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We use TRC. I think one universal is good enough. Rm or TRC.. Why pay attention to more items then you need to?

I also rarely install pig tails- on first time visit's I strip back the wiring to attach alligator clips. First time visits this takes a few minutes.. While I start doing this I immediately start explaining the benefits of using a remote

It takes 1-2 min on a return visit standard resi 6-12 zones system to hook the remote back up depending on the kind of controller and the availability of space between the clips

I can't do my job properly with out a remote. I want to save ppl money.. but when I'm wasting my time because I'm not using my time efficiently with out a remote .

I fully believe you won't be able to get the ' entire picture' of a sprinkler system if you are turning it on / running back and forth from the remote. There are so many missed items with out a remote. Hidden leaks/ breaks that gurrgle when zones are starting up. Missed heads, identifying improper designs, identifying redundant watering from multiple zones. Quickly diagnosing flow issues .

I usually deal with the tougher jobs but I had a fun one the other day. New customer- 3 zones- all heads dribbled water. I found out quickly the meter was only on 1/4 of the way after this I turned on the zones... It was such horrible install. In 3 zones I turned off about 15 spray heads and renozzled about 20. I was there 1.25 hours. Now the system is working in such an amazing state prior to me arriving.. No way I couldn't do this with out a remote. I would loose motivation walking back 45 times to swap nozzles and turn off heads .

If I have a a$$ backwards system and the customer says well my back yard lawn really does not do well.. I can show the customer by turning on zone 1, 4 and 7 ( All next to eachother back lawn ) the inadequacy of head spacing , improper nozzling and design flaws. Showing them the situation.. Doing so allows the customer an understanding in lamen terms to themselves to why justifying the cost of renovating to fix the issue. I couldn't do this with a remote

Alright rant over.. Get a remote.

Last edited by mitchgo; 05-14-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have 3 RainMaster remotes and use Peters pigtails from www.remotepigtails.com. I use it just about everyday and have 2 for backups.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody's explaining how they are saving the client money while they are at the same time making more money.
Posted via Mobile Device