Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2014, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Zoysia soil test results??

Zoysia guys. Will you take a look at this soil test and make some recommendations? This zoysia lawn is terrible and I've tried to bring it back.

The first entry is the back lawn about 3k. The second is the shrubs surrounding the lawn he wanted me to take.

Soil test recommends no lime Buthelezi pH looks low. No other recommendations were made?
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

What is the ph? 4.8 ?
Old 09-19-2014, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is this a sand dune? The potash, (K2O) recommendation seems a bit high to me, but maybe if the soil is sandy then the potash cannot be retained. Potassium is usually water soluble, so normally it would be applied a little at a time, in each application. Applying 5 pounds at once would probably burn the grass; plus it would wash away in the first good rain. I am not sure I understand their test result print out. What is the soil texture? The percent organic matter? The CEC( wait--found it--CEC is 6.4--very low. Retention of cations would be low.
What is you average temp? Average rainfall? Irrigated? Wind blown salt spray? Such climate factors affect fertility recommendations.
Seems odd to me that there is no recommendation for lime in spite of very low pH. Maybe zoysia likes acid soil.

We have some soils experts here; they can give you a lot more information, and analysis.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

They used to send a 2 page report with graphs and other recommendations. The told lime amounts and types of fertilizer.

I have emailed them asking if the forms have changed as I'm not an agronomist and can't decipher from the current format.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unless the intended landscaping involves centipede grass and rhododendrons., you are going to need lime. I would even suggest dolomite lime. Zoysia struggles in low pH soils. Especially if the calcium and magnesium levels are low. My test to see if the lawn is going to be calcium/magnesium responsive is a Peters soluble product 15-5-15. N is from calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate. Most of my soils are too alkaline. But, if I am inland and not in an area based on serpentine, calcium and magnesium are limiting. 2 lb per 1000 turns grass almost blue green, if that is its problem. If calcium and magnesium are not limiting, not much happens.

The form used is new on me. I get actual concentrations of calcium and magnesium, not just their percentages of base saturation.

Riggle is right on the potassium. That should be spoon fed throughout the growing season rather than dumped on in one application. Soil tests are normally written with the assumption that the area will be tilled up. That is why I pay attention to the form and solubility of what is being applied. Insoluble granules do not do me much good on fairway height turf.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-20-2014, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks doc

They recommended 2 lbs of n and 5 lbs k per year. I'm just not good at deciphering the test.

Given the fact the lawn is very bad and full of thin spots it seems to need a lot of everything. I fertilized on my program this year so it got plenty of n. Just not very responsive.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

You are proly looking at a little winter kill also. All our zoysia yards had winter kill and have finally started looking good again just in time to go dormant lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2014, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Thanks doc

They recommended 2 lbs of n and 5 lbs k per year. I'm just not good at deciphering the test.

Given the fact the lawn is very bad and full of thin spots it seems to need a lot of everything. I fertilized on my program this year so it got plenty of n. Just not very responsive.
N does very little to a lawn growing on soil that is too acid. That was brought home to me on a bermuda lawn growing on pH 5 red clay. New homeowners. Previous owner kept the lawn green by constantly laying down a barrage of every fertilizer normally applied to a lawn. I am going to guess about 2 lb N a month every month. I get the pH up to around 6 and add magnesium with a liquid application of hydrated lime+magnesium sulfate. Lawn got green and stayed green from that. Raising the pH enabled the grass to utilize what was previously applied.

A lawn that is thin and seems to need a lot of attention to stay green makes me start to look at pH. There is a certain look to zoysia growing on soil that is too acid compared to soil that is too alkaline. Zoysia growing on alkaline soil is pale, but still relatively thick. On acid soil, it is stunted and thinned out. Might not be true in all cases, but soil testing has confirmed my suspicions in each case.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Low soil pH decreases Mg availability, so that probably explains where your Magnesium deficiency is coming from. It with the pH that low I suspect it's going to take constant work to get that thing up. Let Green Doctor recommend you some good applications to raise that pH up. My PH is on 8+ and the Zoysia is doing WONDERFUL.

(I took the Praying For Rain out of my signature, due to my hypothesis that it has been a jinx on Central Texas.) Now here comes the rain.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As long as levels of nutrients are adequate, high soil pH is not a real problem for zoysia. It is the other way around that becomes an issue. There are certain areas on the island where I do not recommend usage of zoysia because of low pH. I prefer centipede in those situations due to its tolerance of acid soil. Cannot imagine the average "landscaper" or yard guy knowing enough to apply lime rather than saturating the area with fertilizer. My clue is what is growing well and looking good in a lawn not professionally maintained. In some neighborhoods, it is centipede grass.