Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2014, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Permagreen Pump Priming! Help!

I've got an older magnum with the pulley driven pump replaced last year.
Here's what I've done: checked all filters and tank screens, put new diaphragms on black bodies in front and in tank...new nozzles...flushed lines with hot water...put a new belt on and all checked all pulleys...opened dump valve on bottom of tank...only caught 36 oz's out the dump valve in one minute....just drizzles out nozzles....so I think the pump is ok and I think its just not primed...

How else can I check that its the pump or prime it properly?

Thanks in advance! This downtime is killing me!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

can you put neutral hold throttle all the way down open up dump valve and while throttle still full steam open nozzles and close valve? I have a newer PG and that seems to work. It sounds like you may have already tried it but I figured ide try
Old 05-12-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

or you can call permagreen in the a.m.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mysterious; sounds like you covered all the bases, Lasko. You must eliminate all air and air leaks on the suction side to prime the pump.
Is the pulley tight on the shaft? Set screw missing? Paint a white dot on the pulley to be sure it is spinning fast. Same for the pump shaft.
Is the tank full?
What happens if you take the nozzles in front off completely?
Can you hook up a pressure gauge? What is your pressure? Pressure regulator improperly installed or set?
Can you detect any backflow going into the tank from the pressure relief valve? Strong or weak? Is there any chance that 90 percent of the pump output is going back into the tank? If you remove output hose from the pump and direct the outflow directly into a bucket--what is the flow rate? 36 ounces per min?

There is a good chance that there is a leak on the suction side--missing or twisted o-ring--loose hose--sucking air.

Use your garden hose--can you force water through the pump from the suction side? (You may need to use some duct tape or rags to get a good seal.)
Same thing, only push water under pressure from the nozzle backwards through the pump to the tank. Watch for air bubbles. Watch for water squirting out of a leaky suction filter.

Keep at it--you will find the problem.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 05-12-2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: ps
Old 05-13-2014, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
can you put neutral hold throttle all the way down open up dump valve and while throttle still full steam open nozzles and close valve? I have a newer PG and that seems to work. It sounds like you may have already tried it but I figured ide try
This. It works every time. As long as you don't run your tank too low you should not lose prime. By too low I mean less than a gallon and a half or two gallons.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-15-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had an issue last week on mine. I went through everything listed above. I had one screen plugged at the nozzle. Cleaned that still not enough volume and pressure. By now I'm spraying just water, after at least 2 tanks, checking, rechecking several times, I checked the relief valve in the tank (also agitates) it did not seem to be working. I played with it on and off a few times and it started working. I unscrewed it all the way off and tested with out it. Volume went up immediately. Must have had a piece of dirt in it. It added around 25 oz. of volume per minute. Up till then only a 6 foot pattern too. After that back to 11 feet. Take all of the nozzles off open them all up and spray. Check all lines for leaks. Keep working on it. It is usually something simple.