Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2014, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

JD SST16 won't run. Any help out there?

Hi All,
I have an old SST16 with a twin cam 16HP Kohler motor. I beat that poor tractor up on my small jobs and since its bought and paid for I kinda just let it go with minimal maintenance. Well, it's finally caught up to me. It stopped halfway through a lawn (btw spin steers are great until you have to push one )

Anyway, I tested all the safety switches and they're good, spark is good, gas is fresh, air filter is clean, new fuel filter BUT, I don't know if I'm getting enough gas. I took the carb apart and it looked super clean but sprayed it with carb cleaner anyway. Still no start though.

Anyone have any ideas? Inline on the fuel line there is the fuel filter, this little cylinder attached to the motor that has "mikuni" on it (obviously something for the carb), then the fuel line goes into the carb. I'm not sure what the mikuni part is but could that be my problem? I really don't want to pay someone to fix it since it's not really worth too much anyway and it's worthless not running.

Thanks a ton!!

Joe
Old 05-18-2014, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Joe,

That "mikuni" part is likely the fuel pump and if faulty could be your problem, Remove the fuel line at the carb then put it into/over a container. Crank the engine over and you should get pulses of fuel out the line, If not loosen the gas cap (could be plugged vent) and try again. If still no fuel the pump took a dump......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-18-2014, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips. I'll try those and report back.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Sure as sh!t the gas cap vent was blocked by some gummy junk. Carb cleaner + toothpick and it runs like a champeen!

Thanks a ton for the help. It's nice to have another thought process with this stuff. I knew it was something simple but didn't think it would be THAT simple.