Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-08-2014, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Rotella T1 30W in Kaw FH721V

Hi-

I am late to the game in noticing that Shell Rotella 30W is no longer SJ rated. I have run it in my 25 HP KAW FH721V for about 40 hours. I picked it up along with some rotella 15-40 that I used in my procat hydro system without reading the bottle.

I tried the search but did not get a definitive answer so: Any issues with running the 30W rotella in gas engines, I have 2 qts left in the jug for the next oil change?

Thanks -Joe
Old 11-08-2014, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjoe View Post
Hi-

I am late to the game in noticing that Shell Rotella 30W is no longer SJ rated. I have run it in my 25 HP KAW FH721V for about 40 hours. I picked it up along with some rotella 15-40 that I used in my procat hydro system without reading the bottle.

I tried the search but did not get a definitive answer so: Any issues with running the 30W rotella in gas engines, I have 2 qts left in the jug for the next oil change?

Thanks -Joe
I'm not sure about the sae 30 but I've been running their 10w30 in all my equipment, my jeep and truck for years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2014, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It will be fine. You might find it a bit heavy and hard to start around 35degrees.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2014, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You do whatever you want, you can even run no oil for all I care, a new engine's over a thousand dollars. Of course you can always keep asking the same question over and over until you get the answer you're looking for, too. You know I done been seeing these discussions for years and from what I see people here run anything. Diesel oil in a gas engine, chainsaw oil in the trimmer, 2 cycle oil in the Ztr, they don't care so long it's not theirs to pay when it blows up.
Now what does the Owner's Manual tell you to run in it?

I doubt very seriously it tells you to run straight 30 weight.
But what does the OM tell you, that's where you'll get your answer if you're not sure.

Last edited by herler; 11-08-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The kawi manual actually does recommend straight 30 as do most small 4 cycle engines. The recommendation is usually a scale based on air temp the engine will be operated in. It's not rocket science but some guy's will try to turn it into just that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. At this pont I am unsure of the rotalla 30w so I am going to change it out.

I emailed Shell for a definitave answer. I wll post reply when (if) I get one.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

SJ may be Obsolete.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

An an sj rating may be obsolete but they still exist. At my work we Carry diesel oil made by a company called viscosity that's CI plus rated but not CJ-4 which is the current standard. Engines requiring older specifications for oil still exist so they still have to be made
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2014, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's a few posters that swear by Rotella. Read the oil stickie in the repair section. It might help or further confuse your questions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2014, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I read the oil stickie, seems like the info may be a bit old. Looks like Shell dropped the SJ rating a few years ago. Still looking for current info.. Here is what I am looking at now:

Per Kawasaki Engine Oil Req :
Grade: SF, SG, SH, SJ or SL Class
Viscosity: SAE40, SAE30, SAE10W-30/SAE10W-40,
or SAE5W-20

From Shell, Rotella SAE30 cert:
API CF, CF-2

http://www.motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
"The C certified oils are all also S certified, just as some S certified oils are also C certified. The best C certified oils are SG, usually SH, sometimes SJ. I don't know of a C certified oil which is SL. The best S certified oils are CF, which is a relatively old and obsolete C standard, and does not include the tests for high speed high temperature engines that CG, CH, and CI have. In fact, CF oil does not meet the current factory standards for Volkswagen or Mercedes diesel passenger cars. "