Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2014, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Good stuff. Small prill products will cause problems with "curved fins". Spyker's "accuway" also sucks imo. I suggest swapping the impeller out & use a LESCO impeller instead. Spyker impellers have 2 "curved fins" and 2 "straight fins". LESCO impellers have all 4 "straight" fins. The LESCO impeller should solve your problem.

my 2 cents
You can get an impeller from spyker that has 4 straight fins...fyi

Terry
Old 05-15-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Good stuff. Small prill products will cause problems with "curved fins". Spyker's "accuway" also sucks imo. I suggest swapping the impeller out & use a LESCO impeller instead. Spyker impellers have 2 "curved fins" and 2 "straight fins". LESCO impellers have all 4 "straight" fins. The LESCO impeller should solve your problem.

my 2 cents
Yep. 2 more cents. Swap impeller. Problem solved.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Terry -- I didn't know Spyker offered a different impeller. They should tell folks.

Landgreen -- ditto. Only problem with the LESCO impeller is:

1) They are made out of softer plastic
2) The plastic is thinner

So the LESCO impeller will wear out faster than the Spyker impeller (especially with XCU & other hard prill granules)

Buddy of mine in NW Iowa switched to a LESCO 'flat fin" impeller for his T3000. Solved his problem, but the impeller doesn't last as long as he would like. He called me this week >> He's having a local fabricator make a flat fan impeller out of metal (I hope it's stainless steel or heavy gage aluminum). Said he would send me one. We'll see how it works.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Thanks Terry -- I didn't know Spyker offered a different impeller. They should tell folks.

So the LESCO impeller will wear out faster than the Spyker impeller (especially with XCU & other hard prill granules)

Buddy of mine in NW Iowa switched to a LESCO 'flat fin" impeller for his T3000. Solved his problem, but the impeller doesn't last as long as he would like. He called me this week >> He's having a local fabricator make a flat fan impeller out of metal (I hope it's stainless steel or heavy gage aluminum). Said he would send me one. We'll see how it works.
That's a cool idea. But seems like a lot of work for a spinner. IIRC lesco spinners are inexpensive.

Keep us updated on how it comes out.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Sweet Idea!

I have a good friend that owns a local custom metal work/welding shop. He does all of my welding work and fabrication whenever I need it and I do all of his weed control and fertilization. We swap out, no out of pocket for either of us. He is a genius with metal of any kind.

I'm going to say it would not be a problem at all for him to make me one out of Stainless. I personally would probably avoid the aluminum. I always remember what those cast aluminum tank legs on the Chemlawn tanker used to look like after a couple of years of exposure to fertilizer kept on the flatbed platform next to them.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Figured out what the problem is. The cable for the accuway was screwed up. Does this cable tend to freeze up on you?
Old 05-15-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Figured out what the problem is. The cable for the accuway was screwed up. Does this cable tend to freeze up on you?
I removed them from both of my machines.

...but yes, if you don't use and maintain it on a regular basis
Old 05-16-2014, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Yes it can but it is a locking cable also.

Terry
Old 05-16-2014, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The early Z's had a metal spinner on them.

I wonder if LT Rich has any of those laying around in the back room.

Terry
Old 06-03-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I took off the acuway the first time it got caked up with fert dust. has spread great ever since. I also suggest taking off the agitation pin inside the hopper, it just grinds the fert into dust