Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2014, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Help please.

Okay I have a customer with a lawn full of weeds I mean she has clover! Dandelion, crabgrass... Everything and she wants me to get in into shape which I told her the best way is to kill off the entire Lawn and start with a new fescue and bluegrass blend but she doesn't want to do that.. I think she can't afford it... So what would be the best course of action? I was going to plug and overseed this fall and then use a pre emergent next early spring to help eliminate the weeds? What would you guys do?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Speedzone should kill off most of the broadleaf weeds. Add a surfactant--and be sure to use the maximum rate allowed. Treat twice if the problem is serious, as you suggest.
What species of grass is there now?
A top-quality tall fescue , with 10 percent bluegrass should work--unless you are really in Bermuda country. I assume not irrigated? Cool season grasses should be seeded in the fall when your high temps come down to about 85 in September. Very short mowing followed by slit-seeding is my suggestion.
Keep in mind--crabgrass, sure--neither clover nor dandelions will be affected by a pre-emergent. Nor any other perennials.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 06-18-2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: ps
Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2014, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I would say use something like speedzone and kill off the broadleaf weeds and see what you have left. If there is alot of crabgrass, I think they sell a post emergent crabgrass killer you can mix with speedzone actually, or wait til spring and get crabgrass prevent down and take care of that and see what you have left for turf grass. Slit seeding would work good or if the lawn is small enough, rough up the bare patches and spred seed by hand in the bare spots.