Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Getting Commercial Accounts

So, I'm sure this question is asked a lot in many different forms. I just can't seem to find the answer I'm specifically looking for. I've done my research on how to approach a potential commercial business owner/account. I just don't know how to find these accounts. I'm looking into pitching bids to a few smaller businesses, and apartment complex. But how do I find these people? Do I just run google searches on small businesses in my area? Then find a way to contact them? Do I contact Property managers, or Realtors for apartment complex? What about small strip malls? I know for places like a local burger king or McDonalds would be an easy place to start, but they're probably really up tight about their landscaping services as they're corporations.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do cold calls... ask when/if they take bids. Most bids around here are right at the first of the year, but where you're at and mowing is year round, I wouldn't know.

Most fast food restaurants have several locations owned by the same franchiser, you need to see who owns them.

Like you said, google property management companies in your area.

How many guys do you have working for you? I wouldn't even consider taking on a strip mall without 3 guys, most of them require blowing the lot, picking up trash, etc... as part of the contract, if you're solo and trying to cleanup a 2 acre parking lot, good luck...

Personally I would start off trying to lock up a few locally owned businesses such as doctor/dentist office, accountants, lawyers, etc... You'll find they are much more loyal. Property managers of larger complexes could care less about you or your staff, they just want the work done at the cheapest cost and most of the time aren't afraid to drop you mid season if you aren't meeting their expectations.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Calls nah I would suggest going to the business and talk to them directly and let them now what you can offer them. Tell them you can most likely give them a better deal if your work speaks for itself, or even match the price paid out now (where your work speaks for itself).

Commercial accounts are usually already bid out before season even starts, but you can always go and make a offer, especially when their clients are doing half a$$ or crap jobs.

I could of grabbed a gigantic business last year but really the size of the place and us having one commercial mower it would of took a few days to complete, I had caught their original lawn crew which consisted of a White guy and his wife hiring illegals.

Leaving my commercial job at the end of the season last year there 4 illegals on the side of the road defecating on the road in front of their business was pretty disgusting I immediately called dtheir VP of headquarters had him come out front and witness it.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
05' Gravely 148z 1700+ hours 21 hp Kawi
Echo Trimmers
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Alabama Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=108
John Deere Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=109

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

4 illegals taking a dump on the side of the road. When you think you've seen it all....

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-14-2014, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You've been given some good advice. It's a gift you shouldn't pass up.

Something to keep in mind is that depending on the market commercial accounts aren't always the most profitable. In my area the residentials seem to be more lucrative than the commercial properties. And many of the commercial properties want a one-stop-shop...i.e. everything from weed control to annual landscaping, mulching, mowing, etc. They don't want it piece-mealed. If you can offer that you have an edge.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
Do cold calls... ask when/if they take bids. Most bids around here are right at the first of the year, but where you're at and mowing is year round, I wouldn't know.

Most fast food restaurants have several locations owned by the same franchiser, you need to see who owns them.

Like you said, google property management companies in your area.

How many guys do you have working for you? I wouldn't even consider taking on a strip mall without 3 guys, most of them require blowing the lot, picking up trash, etc... as part of the contract, if you're solo and trying to cleanup a 2 acre parking lot, good luck...

Personally I would start off trying to lock up a few locally owned businesses such as doctor/dentist office, accountants, lawyers, etc... You'll find they are much more loyal. Property managers of larger complexes could care less about you or your staff, they just want the work done at the cheapest cost and most of the time aren't afraid to drop you mid season if you aren't meeting their expectations.
I live on beachside. Around here there are condo's with little lawns. Like the one I live in. I'd only need a weedeater and leaf blower. Current crappy company who does it only has 2 men come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
You've been given some good advice. It's a gift you shouldn't pass up.

Something to keep in mind is that depending on the market commercial accounts aren't always the most profitable. In my area the residentials seem to be more lucrative than the commercial properties. And many of the commercial properties want a one-stop-shop...i.e. everything from weed control to annual landscaping, mulching, mowing, etc. They don't want it piece-mealed. If you can offer that you have an edge.
Around here All the Residentials are only going after well known lawn care businesses if they have money. All my calls are poor people who try convincing me that their lawn isn't worth more then $30 a month or biweekly, and I have to keep saying, MY MIN! $40/month. So maybe one or two commercial might get me some more income. :/ lost my job and have 4 accounts so I'm sorta living off this little bit im making.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamslawncare View Post
I lost my job and have 4 accounts so I'm sorta living off this little bit im making.
I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck in growing your business.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Property mangement companies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2014, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Property mangement companies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Beats living on the street. Barely.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-14-2014, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

True. Making $200 a month and damn close to begging people to let me cut their lawn at this rate. Life can be a prick in the butt sometimes though. My lady works full time so I don't think the streets is that close but just sucks putting all the stress on her.